Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help: How do I stop slapping the trigger when I shoot faster

Heyman2

@Heyman2 before you move past it, keep in mind that while the objective in a bill drill is to shoot all A's... your run with a Charlie isn't a disaster in a match.

Doing the math:

30pts / 2.61 = 11.4943 hit factor

28pts / 2.48 = 11.2903 hit factor

That's far from a disaster on match day; those scores are *really* close. Yes, alphas always beat Charlies. But too many newer minor shooters are so afraid of occasionally dropping a Charlie that they shoot far too slowly and conservatively to win. Don't be afraid to push so hard that you shoot an occasional C. That's how you shoot faster.

On your reload, absolutely fly when trying to snap your weak hand with mag, and the gun with dropped mag, together in front of your chest.

Most of the reload occurs with the weak hand. And that pause at the magwell is about 1/4 second of dead time - it takes dryfire reps to hit the magwell quickly and cleanly.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

11 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Heyman2 before you move past it, keep in mind that while the objective in a bill drill is to shoot all A's... your run with a Charlie isn't a disaster in a match.

Doing the math:

30pts / 2.61 = 11.4943 hit factor

28pts / 2.48 = 11.2903 hit factor

In a match that's far from a disaster - those scores are *really* close. Yes, alphas always beat Charlies. But too many newer minor shooters are so afraid of occasionally dropping a Charlie that they shoot far too slowly and conservatively to win. Don't be afraid to push so hard that you shoot an occasional C. That's how you shoot faster.

On your reload, absolutely fly when trying to snap your weak hand with mag, and the gun with dropped mag, together in front of your chest.

Most of the reload occurs with the weak hand. And that pause at the magwell is about 1/4 second of dead time - it takes dryfire reps to hit the magwell quickly and cleanly.

@MemphisMechanicWOW! I didn't realize both those times would not only equate to a hit factor that high, but that they would be so close to each other. Thank you for showing me that! As for my reload, are you saying that I have the technique down, but that I just need to do everything faster? If that's the case, I'm ahead of where I thought I was at. I know it won't be an easy quick fix to move faster, but I thought I was way behind the curve when I see others doing a 1 second reload. I think I need to set more realistic, incremental goals for myself. What do you think about the way I have my mags set up? Currently, the bullets face out away from my body. After watching myself, I think I may experiment with setting the pouches so that the bullet is facing forward.

Edited by Heyman2

National championship titles have been won with both bullets out and bullets forward. Forward is a more natural motion that's faster to learn. Out lets you stack you mags closer together but still have access. Pick one and practice.... tens of thousands of times.

Regarding hand speed, my local 16 year old Master who is a diehard "dryfire addict" has a 0.95 load that looks like this:

Faster hands (moving comfortably at a speed higher than you can possibly make yourself go) ... and a much, much shorter pause at the magwell. He has almost completely eliminated it, actually.

I'm currently working on my own hand speed, just like you are. The faster you get the new mag up and headed into the bottom of the magwell, the more time you have to align things and still hit your load cleanly in the desired time.

Start with a par time you can barely hit, and slowly inch it down as you improve.

Im also a big fan of ending each session with some "hero or zero" reps once you're warmed up. Go absolutely as fast as you can, and try to learn to clean it up over time.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

27 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

National championship titles have been won with both bullets out and bullets forward. Forward is a more natural motion that's faster to learn. Out lets you stack you mags closer together but still have access. Pick one and practice.... tens of thousands of times.

Regarding hand speed, my local 16 year old Master who is a diehard "dryfire addict" has a 0.95 load that looks like this:

Faster hands (moving comfortably at a speed higher than you can possibly make yourself go) ... and a much, much shorter pause at the magwell. He has almost completely eliminated it, actually.

I'm currently working on my own hand speed, just like you are. The faster you get the new mag up and headed into the bottom of the magwell, the more time you have to align things and still hit your load cleanly in the desired time.

Start with a par time you can barely hit, and slowly inch it down as you improve.

Im also a big fan of ending each session with some "hero or zero" reps once you're warmed up. Go absolutely as fast as you can, and try to learn to clean it up over time.

@MemphisMechanicI literally chuckled as I watch this video. Holy crap, that is fast and something I desire to be able to do. But at this point, if I can get below 1.5 I'll be happy. But yes, eventually my goal is to get closer to the 1 second mark. I'll do my best to work on this every night. I'll also experiment the mag pouch positions as well and see if one works better for me. As always, I appreciate your insight. I've been shooting USPSA for a little over a year. I have about 15 matches under my belt. But I've only recently started noticing improvement since joining this site. It 's been a real eye opener for sure.

After watching my vid in slow motion, I realize I need to get the base of the mag deeper into my palm so that my finger is either closer to the bullet or actually touching it. Maybe this will help eliminate the pause right before insertion.