Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol weak hand fast shooting techniques!

Uomu

Salut and a happy new year!

I have more than 25 years firearms, but still I have lots of concerns about the most efficient way to use them. I’m a big guy with the strong arm – the right one, right eye is the director one and I use both eyes open when shooting. Usually Glock 17 is my competition and self-defense gun (sometimes CZ 75 TS). I train regularly in dynamic scenarios with run, cover and atypical shooting position. 

Problems: 1. When shooting with the left hand, the time to hit popper placed at 10 yards is triple than when using my right hand. 2. After running, cover and speed shooting with the left hand, I noticed clearly my involuntary jerking the trigger, pulling the muzzle down, but without close my eyes. Therefore please tell me how you have solved theses:

1.1. both eyes are open and bringing the pistol under the right eye. This is the fastest, but incomode.
1.2. both eyes are open, pistol is under left eye and aiming slightly to the left than the desire point of hit. It seems to me awkward and hard to remember under stress.
1.3. only aiming with the left eye and positioning the gun underneath it, the right eye is closed. This is the most accurate, but too slow and without peripheral field of view.
1.4 ???

2.1. No running to the cover for avoiding rushing time. This is not god if we plan to survive and not only whining a match. 
2.2. For jerk compensate - aiming higher than the point I’d like to hit. Hard to remind at the moment of the truth.
2.3 Reduce the speed of pressing the trigger – hard to do under intense stress. 
2.4. ???

..... it could be one answer for solving both problems: train with left hand as much and hard as with right hand. But even so, I can't rewrite the past 25 years when I allocate only 10-15% for left hand shooting techniques. So I need some hint and recommendation from you. Thanks!

I think:

- both eyes are open and use the same eye that you always use for aiming.

- don't compensate for jerking. Eliminate it. Take some time, dry fire and live fire until you stop jerking.

Many find it easier to shoot one-handed with the pistol slightly canted. No, not a gangsta cant. Just a natural position with arm extended. Something like 20 degrees or less.

1 hour ago, perttime said:

I think:

- both eyes are open and use the same eye that you always use for aiming.

- don't compensate for jerking. Eliminate it. Take some time, dry fire and live fire until you stop jerking.

Many find it easier to shoot one-handed with the pistol slightly canted. No, not a gangsta cant. Just a natural position with arm extended. Something like 20 degrees or less.

Your first two advice are logical for me. As I'm jerking visible only with left hand, it is hard to me to shoot gansta styile with weak hand, with his position under corss eyes (right one).

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

One tip for weak hand shooting, is a staged trigger pull - not one movement, but

take it up a half pound at a time - quickly.    :) 

...do you think this will work under time and competition stress? For target shooting I think is very nice.

7 hours ago, Uomu said:

...do you think this will work under time and competition stress? For target shooting I think is very nice.

It must be done quickly, but YES, it does work very well in competition.  :)

The alternative is missed targets    :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Uomu said:

29 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

It must be done quickly, but YES, it does work very well in competition.  :)

The alternative is missed targets    :ph34r:

I think Uomu has a legitimate concern here.

Staging the trigger during a competition where time matters has some inherent problems that mostly rule it out for me. First, when I'm jacked up and my nerves are on high shooting a stage the fewer find motor skill movements I need to perform the better off I'll be. Secondly, pulling the trigger a half pound at a time is always going to take more time than pulling the trigger in one swift motion. 

It may work well for you, and if it does that's great. I think learning to pull the trigger all at once without moving the gun will almost always end up in better scores. In my opinion being able to operate the trigger quickly (smash) without moving the gun with either hand is one of the most critical fundamentals for USPSA. 

The only time I pull the trigger a half pound at a time are the most difficult of shots. 25 yard partials, etc. Even then, it's not really half pound at a time...more like pulling it all at once a little less forcefully. Most weak hand targets are open enough to where I can just pull through the trigger hard and hit alphas as the gun doesn't move very much when I smash. If you work that skill I think you'll find it to be a valuable tool. It will also likely lead to better recoil control from the adjustments your grip is going to go through while forming the ability. You'll find that in order to keep the gun very steady when you pull the trigger aggressively you need to put a lot of force into keeping the gun pointed where you want on the target. 

Thanks for these nice recommendation to be put in practice by myself. The hardest left shooting for me is from the cover when I have to hit only the half right part of the IDPA target.

Indeed fine motor skill is deteriorate under hard pressure and not jerking at all the trigger is hard do eliminate. It is against natural human reaction to stress for survival. Some gunfighter guru recommend pres the triger as hard and quicly as posible, but create a kinestetic memory for shooting and strong link conection between the eye, hand and target.

7-8 years ago, I've worked with Tokio Marui airsoft pistol in self defense realistically scenario and it was great toll. Unfortunately only 2 handed or strong hand. In the meantime I've sold this awesome Glock 17 replica.

Edited by Uomu
adding info

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:54 AM, Uomu said:

And what about right place of the gun under the appropriate eye? I'm for  1.1. both eyes are open and bringing the pistol under the right eye. 

IMO there are too many variables in each individual (vision in each eye, prescription, eye dominance, degree of eye dominance, etc).  As you said, when stress is involved, you want to think as little as possible so you would probably better off to shoot the same way you always do. 

One thing that helped me with shooting weak hand and avoiding the flinch is really concentrating on trying to watch the front sight lift.  When I first noticed my flinch with the weak hand, it seemed like the more I concentrated on trying to get an accurate shot, the worse the flinch would be.   I didn't have much confidence in my weak hand shooting so I kept trying to get more and more perfect when it comes to sight alignment/picture.  It doesn't help that I am not as steady with my weak hand as I am with my strong hand so I believe I was giving too much of my concentration on getting the sights EXACTLY where there need to be that seemed to make the flinch worse.  As soon as I made it my focus (and basically my only goal) to watch the front sights lift during recoil, the flinch almost completely went away.  I later saw a video on YouTube by Rob L. and he said something very similar that he teaches new shooters (that is using both hands but the point is the same).  He had new shooters who were flinching close their eyes (so they are not aiming) when they shot and he said that usually makes the flinch disappear.

Edited by B585

Some time to much concentration could produce opposite effect, Like when we are driving our car nearby other parked car and are to focus avoiding them instead looging straid ahead to the road.We drive into we are looking at,,,,, this is from one police driving courses.

I am more interested in shooting USPSA for extra gun handling/shooting while moving to better my abilities as a law enforcement officer. I shoot stock glocks most of the time, but we do a decent amount of strong hand/weak hand/transition from 2 handed  shooting. The slight cant 20-30 degrees that was previously mentioned is taught in our training. Also changing your stance by moving your weak side leg forward, bring your non shooting arm in across your torso and push out slightly with weak side shoulder while locking out your shooting arm is how we were taught. I know LEO training is not always the best for competition, but we do a lot of one handed shooting simulated that our dominant arm is out of commission and the technique described has helped me. Another thing is to work on grip strength with captains of crush. most right handed shooters have a stronger right hand grip even though support hand grip strength is likely more important. The stronger your grip, the less you need to squeeze the gun and the looser you can keep your trigger finger. Anyway  just ideas from someone who shoots a few matches a year when I have time so the experts here probably have better ideas, but I always take advice from anyone I can and discard what doesn't work.Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...