Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

?? on snow fence walls for indoor range

The indoor range that we use in the winter uses poly tarps, which pretty much suck for ROing shooters. I want to replace them with snow fence. 

1st, How tall? I was thinking 5 foot, as the cables to hang them from are 7 1/2 to 8 foot high

2nd, Does the snow fence need any support? I was thinking of zip tying PVC to the top and bottom edges, to keep the fence from curling. 

3rd, I see snow fence pricing varies a lot. Any 'grade' or brand I should stick with?

4th, Do carabiners attached directly to the fencing hold up, or would I be better off to zip tie the carabiners to the PVC?

Thanks in advance, and any other pro tips are appreciated

• 5 weeks later...

What I wound up building was 4 foot snow fence with 1/2 inch pvc pipe on the top and bottom. The spacing on our indoor range's cable system was 42 inches, so I built lengths of 7 feet and 10 feet. The 10 foot sections had the pvc pipes cut in half, so that they would fold to 5 feet for storage. I used para cord to provide the drop height, and 3 inch carabiners to clip the walls to the cables. For storage, simply roll up the sections and secure with a wrap of the para cord / carabiner. The snow fencing hangs straight with the weight of the pvc, even after being rolled up tight and stored in 20 degree weather. 

The pvc does the same things as far as rigidity and movement, but with less weight. The cable system at the indoor range we use got a little saggy even with 3/4 pvc. As a bonus, the pvc is a little softer on the legs when someone cuts a corner. 

• 1 month later...

We use 2x2 or 1.5x1.5 lumber as the frame.  4' x 8', with a single vertical brace at the midpoint, and small triangular braces at the corners made from thin plywood.  Ours have seen weekly use for many years. Periodically we have to replace elements that get shot up, but they last approximately forever.  They are stiff enough that we can also hang them from one end from rails to create a 4' wide slanted wall with no discernible curvature.

We staple the material to the frame.  That gets replaced every few years, but the same staple guns that we use to hang targets work well.  For hanging, we use velcro straps with clamps to grab the rails.  

Edited by ATLDave

• 2 weeks later...

I run an indoor match in Charlotte, NC.  We take snowfence and cut it to approx 25' out of 100' rolls.  We then just use clips to clip it up on the tracks and we can form any sections of hallway/walls, etc... We use a target stand with a tall 1x2 on it to form a 'hard corner' if we need to.  otherwise you can fold it over on itself and make any length of wall you need.

We have found that Coroplast works very well. Obviously more expensive, but it is much easier to store and it allows you to create push open ports, oddly shaped ports, and bends to accommodate stage design when needed.