Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fired brass locking gun

jmcqueen

More and more frequently my Limcat 9 major gets a fired shell locked either all the way in the chamber or occasionally slightly out. The slide continues back and tries to feed next round. When slide closes on case it grips it really well so it does not seem to be the extractor. It takes a steel rod to get spent brass out of chamber. The brass is swelled above the rim for a 1/4" I have down loaded to below major and it is still occurring, worse with foreign brass and Freedom does it 50% of the time. Primers are not flattened with down loaded rounds except some of the swelled ones. Any ideas? 

If you are shooting properly chamber-checked ammo, the slide moves backward to feed a new round, and the case gets left behind, then it is indeed an extraction issue. That is literally the definition of a failure to extract.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If you are shooting properly chamber-checked ammo, the slide moves backward to feed a new round, and the case gets left behind, then it is indeed an extraction issue. That is literally the definition of a failure to extract.

Except for the part where you had to beat it out with a rod and then half the case is swollen out

Could it be a 38 barrel? I know that's a wild guess but a 9 could stick if it's really tight?

But on to more likely issues. Are you chamber checking the ammo? If it's bulged going in it will bind coming out. Same with flare not being removed enough.

check the chamber for scratches or other imperfections.

gun been refinished or anything? Get a little over spray or build up in the chamber and brass sticks like glue.

did you change loads? Did you chrono? You might be way over pressure and that will stretch the case enough to stick

Hello: Make sure the brass is not the two piece brass that Freedom(FM), IMI and some others are making. Where the two pieces are joined together is where they will swell. If you keep loading them you will blow the case and end up leaving a ring in the chamber that is about 5/16" long and the other piece will get ejected. I don't use this brass but have seen at least 6 cases that have separated by loading to major 9mm. Take a look inside the 9mm case and you can see the ring where the two are joined together. Thanks, Eric

57 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Make sure the brass is not the two piece brass that Freedom(FM), IMI and some others are making. Where the two pieces are joined together is where they will swell. If you keep loading them you will blow the case and end up leaving a ring in the chamber that is about 5/16" long and the other piece will get ejected. I don't use this brass but have seen at least 6 cases that have separated by loading to major 9mm. Take a look inside the 9mm case and you can see the ring where the two are joined together. Thanks, Eric

I also sort these "stepped" cases out.  FM, IMT, Ammoload.

I also avoid Blazer because it's soft and doesn't reliably hold the bullet.  Some Speer and •FC• also do this.

4 minutes ago, teros135 said:

I also avoid Blazer because it's soft and doesn't reliably hold the bullet.  Some Speer and •FC• also do this.

I think they are tough enough as I load them over and over in 9M. What I found is, every case mentioned had thinner walls and I had set back with Dillon dies. These brands are what led me to using a Udie. 

Up date. The barrel link had a little play in the hole where the lock lever goes through. Put a new link in the same size and the gun is doing fine now. Open guns are touchy and don't have give you any slack.

On 1/1/2017 at 8:33 PM, teros135 said:

I also sort these "stepped" cases out.  FM, IMT, Ammoload.

Always in agreement on the stepped cases.  However, ditching Blazer, FC, and Speer would really be a bummer and defeat half the purpose of shooting 9.  I'm with Sarge on the U-Die and I use an absolute minimal amount of flare.  Takes care of most of the bullet grip issues for me.

Filling a case up with powder and seating the bullet on it also does wonders for bullet setback.

I'm ocd enough that I minimize the number of times a round even gets chambered.  My ULASC rounds end up in a practice box for later.  

17 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

I'm ocd enough that I minimize the number of times a round even gets chambered.  My ULASC rounds end up in a practice box for later.  

I pretend I do the same. Truth is I haven't figured out how them dang kids are doing the flip and catch. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2017 at 8:40 PM, Sarge said:

I think they are tough enough as I load them over and over in 9M. What I found is, every case mentioned had thinner walls and I had set back with Dillon dies. These brands are what led me to using a Udie. 

Are you guys using the Lee U-die or the EGW version?  (Lee makes both of them; the Lee supposedly undersizes by .002-.003, the EGW by .001)

8 hours ago, teros135 said:

Are you guys using the Lee U-die or the EGW version?  (Lee makes both of them; the Lee supposedly undersizes by .002-.003, the EGW by .001)

I have EGW. I can't imagine sizing tighter!

I was also lead to believe the difference was EGW was milled to size slightly lower?

Either way, it works. Just don't load without lube with one!

23 hours ago, Sarge said:

I have EGW. I can't imagine sizing tighter!

I was also lead to believe the difference was EGW was milled to size slightly lower?

Either way, it works. Just don't load without lube with one!

I borrowed an EGW U die and loaded 100 Blazer brass (9 major, 124 PD bullets, 6.9 WAC, 1.165").  The Dillon die (where I was having the problem) was sizing them to .375, measured just under the mouth.  The standard Lee sized to .373-374, and the EGW-U was .3715-.372, so the U seems to be about .002 or so smaller.  I couldn't push any of the bullets in (had them in the Hundo checker and pushed down hard on each of them), and it took several good whacks with a bullet puller to get one of them to let go of the bullet.  I'll shoot them today to test.  May be a good thing. 

I did have bullet setback before with a lot of the Blazers (soft/thin), but also a really fun glitch in which the inertia of the round being rapidly chambered caused the bullet to leave the case, spill powder everywhere, and stick (lightly) in the barrel throat.  The case stops, the bullet keeps going.  Not exactly a squib, but the same effect, pus powder mess.  Hoping that's gone now. 

Addendum:  All fed smoothly, shot fine. 

Edited by teros135
Clarified it was an EGW U die, not Lee-U, which may (or may not) size smaller. Added range outcome. .

A missed point of concern is if your shooting range brass what was it shot from? A 9mm fired from a unsupported barrel (Glocks for example) will leave a bulge in the case. Most standard dies will not hit low enough to work it out. So you have a partial bulge to blow out even more on your next firing. This is a common occurrence in a 9mm major load from open guns..had blown out cases lock a gun up tighter than a clams ass. Push through sizing like the Casemaster Jr is the best preventative measure for the bulge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, BallisticianX said:

A missed point of concern is if your shooting range brass what was it shot from? A 9mm fired from a unsupported barrel (Glocks for example) will leave a bulge in the case. Most standard dies will not hit low enough to work it out. So you have a partial bulge to blow out even more on your next firing. This is a common occurrence in a 9mm major load from open guns..had blown out cases lock a gun up tighter than a clams ass. Push through sizing like the Casemaster Jr is the best preventative measure for the bulge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't had any problems at all with range brass, except as noted above, and that seems to be fixed by the U die.