Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 SC State USPSA Championship

Registration for the 2017 SC State USPSA Championship opens Wednesday, January 4th at 5 PM.

https://practiscore.com/2017-sc-state-uspsa-championship/register

The match will be held March 30, 2017 & April 1, 2017 at Mid Carolina Rifle Club near Columbia SC.

Self squadding for Saturday shooters opens in mid February. No self squadding for Friday competitors  Awards will be cash payback based on placement by division & class as well as random drawings for donated prizes. Entry fee is $130 & Juniors shoot free with an adult guardian who paid full price. It is your choice to pay fees online via credit or debit cards, or mail a check. We plan 9 stages plus chrono. This is a One Day match – shoot either Friday or Saturday.   The match will recognize all 6 handgun divisions plus PCC, provided the division registration numbers meet minimum requirements for a Level 2 competition.

Optional match shirts may be ordered for $15 (Sm-2XL) or $18 (3XL-4XL). Shirts are cotton-poly blend T-shirts that will be custom designed for the match.  As always, we are in need of CRO’s, RO’s and staff to help with the match.  Staff must complete the application.  Staff shoots Friday (free) and gets a free match shirt.  Contact LChico@sc.rr.com for Registration questions.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question but first let me say that,  I have attended the SC State match for a number of years, shifting between PGC & MCRC and I can say both clubs always do a outstanding job with the matches.  From the RO's, staff & stats to the great stages they are some of the best you will find in our sport (IMHO). Thank you to all of you, for putting on this great State match. 

Now for my question. With 9 stages ( plus chrono ) and 12 total squads why not add a few more stages to help with all the down time? 

Edited by a matt

1 hour ago, a matt said:

I have a question but first let me say that,  I have attended the SC State match for a number of years, shifting between PGC & MCRC and I can say both clubs always do a outstanding job with the matches.  From the RO's, staff & stats to the great stages they are some of the best you will find in our sport (IMHO). Thank you to all of you, for putting on this great State match. 

Now for my question. With 9 stages ( plus chrono ) and 14 total squads why not add a few more stages to help with all the down time? 

First, we have 12 squads - not 14.  Not sure where you saw 14 squads.  

Basically, when I look at squadding, I see 10 places that a shooter has to be: 9 stages plus chrono.  At MCRC, we added the "down time" because of our very unusual range layout.  There is a bit of distance between the Pistol bays (7 total) on the west end of the range, and the two stages plus chrono which are toward the eastern area of the range. Going from bay 3 to Bay 4 in the pistol bays takes 30 seconds, if you are moving slowly.  The walk from the last stage in the pistol bays to the first stage on the eastern side of the range takes 10 minutes.  But that is only of you keep walking.  In the 1990's we discovered that shooters stopped at the bathroom, or at their cars to pick up more ammo or drinks.  It averaged 20 minutes for shooters to get to that stage when they had to cross range and the large parking lot. And it happened again when shooters moved back to the pistol bay area from the main range. By the third squad rotation on Saturday, the schedule was screwed. Remember that our squad size is 15 & squad rotation is every 45 minutes.  20 minutes late was almost half the time we had allotted for that group to shoot the stage.  So every squad gets two 45 minute "breaks:" one as they leave the pistol bays, and one as they leave the main range to return to the pistol bays.  So instead of 10 places to be, there are 12 places to be.  That is where I get 12 squads.

Linda Chico

Edited by LChico

I changed it to 12 squads two mins after it was sent. I simply put the # of shooters per squad (14) instead of the # stages, (12), maybe that will help solve this puzzle or maybe I forgot to hit save. Idk???

That's why I ask, I Was simply wondering avout the breaks and now I got it. Thank you Linda. 

Edited by a matt

13 minutes ago, EEH said:

What no blue bullet sc.state championship?

I'm not the person contacting sponsors, but I think we are still finalizing sponsorship agreements. I can edit the name of the match once agreements are in place.

Edited by LChico

I shot the SC match 2 years ago and it was one of the best matches I have been to, but for a major match to only have 9 stages just isn't worth it IMHO. We shoot locals all the time that are 7 stage matches for $20. Hard to justify all the travel cost for anything less than 11 or 12. 

On the stage I worked at the 2016 match, everyone pasted Friday & only staff pasted Saturday.

This year - at the 2017 match - on Friday, when a majority of the shooters are RO's & staff, everyone has to help paste & re-set.  Most squads will have 2 or 3 shooters who selected Friday as a paid competitor & they will paste & re-set with their squad.

On Saturday, staff will paste & re-set all stages.

Edited by LChico

On 1/5/2017 at 10:40 AM, Superpipe9 said:

I shot the SC match 2 years ago and it was one of the best matches I have been to, but for a major match to only have 9 stages just isn't worth it IMHO. We shoot locals all the time that are 7 stage matches for $20. Hard to justify all the travel cost for anything less than 11 or 12. 

First of all, I'm attending the match and looking forward to it, whether it remains at 9 stages or not.

But I do agree that for a L2 match the stage count should be in the double digits.  Somewhere in the 10-12 range.  

Maybe we're just spoiled here in the Southeast US, but rightly or wrongly that's where the bar has been set.

3 minutes ago, SW4me said:

Boy I'd really like to shoot this but the 1st is my 10 year wedding anniversary. My wife is pretty cool but not that cool

So shoot on Friday, take her with you make it an anniversary trip.

1 hour ago, broadus123 said:

Don't listen to EEH. You better take her someplace nice or you won't see the 11th. And don't make her paste any targets.

Our first anniversary fell on WrestleMania 24 weekend. I had comp tickets and she insisted that I go. Almost 9 yrs later and I still hear about that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to the match, and shooting revolver division. That being said, if the numbers do not rate recognition of revolver division I am switching to single stack. I hope to be shooting revolver division recognized, but it takes more than a few to make that happen. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2017 at 5:09 PM, Blueridge said:

Looking forward to the match, and shooting revolver division. That being said, if the numbers do not rate recognition of revolver division I am switching to single stack. I hope to be shooting revolver division recognized, but it takes more than a few to make that happen. :unsure:

Well I made the decision to shoot single stack instead of revolver -_-. Partly because of the low revolver numbers from past years and this one, and partly because  at Area 6 I will be shooting single stack due to the same  reasons. As much as I enjoy shooting revolver in competition, it only makes it worthwhile to be to compete in club matches and a few larger matches shooting it (Toys For Tots, Memphis Charity Challenge, and Revolver Nationals). I have pretty much sworn off shooting Revolver Nationals due to it being on Mother's Day Weekend <_<. I have not seen the numbers of revolver shooters at many level II & III matches to be worthwhile to shoot Revolver Division there (Those near to where I am at least. 

On 2/24/2017 at 7:52 AM, deerassassin22 said:

7 at SC I checked the other day and I'm one 

It's tempting to switch back to revolver, and I am torn over weather to do so or not. Looks like 5 revolver currently (without me), and 4 are C class. Looking at the USPSA Rulebook if I switched back to revolver division, being C class that I am, the division would be recognized already without me (for Overall and SC State Champion) and in addition possibly 1st place in C class (being that the minimum for recognizion of 5 would be met. Tough call...

Edited by Blueridge