Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Customized trubor

Acsr

Was wondering what some of you have done to a trubor as far as customizing, slide cuts, popples, etc, please post your pics thoughts and insights.  Have my evo grip ordered and flirting with a couple popple  holes.  

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.Gans trubor 2 resize.jpg

Gans lightened slide and 2 popples . In my opinion the popples made the gun shoot flatter, I lost around 40fps with them. Cant say enough good about Gans, Im interested in how you like you evo grip when you get it.

I will post up when I get it on, I have been flirting with the 2 popple hole, just not wholly committed yet, never fired a gun with either, none around here with either setup. I just know once I drill there is no going back, where the grip is a easy change and sell, although I think I will love it. Tell me more about how well 5y like the popple holes.  Would you keep them or change them.  What is your current load. I am currently 124 mg hp with 10.3 a7. Also I am 38 super where you look to be 9mm

Edited by Acsr
Added more info

Yea I'm 9mm. I like aa7 also, along with 3n38. 9.6 gr of aa7, and 8.8 gr of 3n38 are my favorites. I'm using 124 pd jhp's. Ive experimented with 115's but wasn't a fan of the hit in the hand they had. Im really glad I added the popples, like you I went back and forth on whether to add them or not, finally I got tired of thinking about it and decided to just do it lol. In my opinion they flattened the gun out a good bit and it still shoots soft, which is something i was concerned about. As always YMMV but thats my .02

I am leary of slide lightening due to warranty, but it probably won't matter if I popple it probably will void warranty as well.  

Edited by Acsr
Double post

5 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I wouldn't get into OPEN Major if you're concerned re: Warranties    :) 

I'd even go a step farther Jack. EVERY part on an open gun should be considered a wear part and likely will be replaced at some point. It's part of the open game. It is just hard on guns and beats the hell out of em. 

Edited by js1130146

On 1/2/2017 at 2:54 PM, sethl said:

Yea I'm 9mm. I like aa7 also, along with 3n38. 9.6 gr of aa7, and 8.8 gr of 3n38 are my favorites. I'm using 124 pd jhp's. Ive experimented with 115's but wasn't a fan of the hit in the hand they had. Im really glad I added the popples, like you I went back and forth on whether to add them or not, finally I got tired of thinking about it and decided to just do it lol. In my opinion they flattened the gun out a good bit and it still shoots soft, which is something i was concerned about. As always YMMV but thats my .02

I'm considering a 9mm TruBor...  Thanks for posting your loads...  Curious about how much 8.8gn of 3n38 fills a 9mm case...  Seems like a lot of powder for a 9mm case...  Do you load longer than normal, or is it a compression load?

I'm thinking about going with MBX magazines...  Have you tried them?

21 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

I'm considering a 9mm TruBor...  Thanks for posting your loads...  Curious about how much 8.8gn of 3n38 fills a 9mm case...  Seems like a lot of powder for a 9mm case...  Do you load longer than normal, or is it a compression load?

I'm thinking about going with MBX magazines...  Have you tried them?

I really like my trubor. I did get some jams out of the box. I installed an aftec extractor and did some tuning on the ejector and it runs great. I also use a delta point on a cheely mount. 8.8gn of 3n38 is a FULL case. Honestly its a pain to load, really gotta slow down with the press so powder doesn't spill everywhere when it indexes. It's for sure a compressed load, I load at 1.17. I have 3 MBX's,  2 170's and a 140. I had to play with the feed lips on 1 of the 170's I was getting occasional ftf. The other 2 mags run great.

35 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Has anyone installed a C-More RTS2 red dot on a Trubor?  If so, what mount did you use?

Shooters Connection sells a Cheely mount that looks like it might fit... 

RTS2_silver.jpg

Cheely fits perfect but so does any other drilled in the Cmore pattern. I like the Cheely though!

3 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Thanks, Sarge...

I meant would the Cheely mount fit the holes already in the Trubor frame...

I think the normal 5 hole spacing IS CALLED Cmore pattern. :)

Just looked it up. It's called standard Cmore spacing plus 2 holes.

bottom line, it will work

Edited by Sarge

raylan, 'usually' any 2011 based open gun with have either:

3 holes on the left side @ .750 centers (this is cmore spacing and usually also has 2 or 3 holes on the right of the frame to accept the old cmore serendipity OR a double sided mount).

5 holes on the left side @ .375 spacing (basically they added 2 holes between holes 1-2 and 2-3 in the original 3 hole setup). This is called cmore +2.

very occasionally a gun will have 3-5 holes (generally 4 holes) at 10mm which is slightly different to cmore (in metric cmore +2 is 9.52mm). that is the 'aimpoint' spacing.

you can easily use a 3 hole cmore mount on a gun drilled with either the 3 or 5 hole cmore pattern. you can also use the 5 hole mount on a gun with either 3 or 5 hole cmore pattern holes. 

the key is that the holes are either 0.750 or .0375 of an inch from center to center.

Thanks, Barron...  Good explanation...

I am mainly concerned about the spacing on a Trubor, as that is what I'm planning to buy...  Looks like one of the Cheely or Everglades RTS2 mounts will fit correctly...

I suspect the Cheely mount's offset is to open the bullets path from the ejection port?

3 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Thanks, Barron...  Good explanation...

I am mainly concerned about the spacing on a Trubor, as that is what I'm planning to buy...  Looks like one of the Cheely or Everglades RTS2 mounts will fit correctly...

I suspect the Cheely mount's offset is to open the bullets path from the ejection port?

Also the Cheely should be a tad lighter . When I asked Matt why it's offset he said, "it makes the mount smaller, cleaner looking, stiffer".

yes, the offset is to allow more ejection clearance (mainly an issue on the 9mms not sure much for the 38 supers). 

I was leary of having the mount offset (did not want to induce windage bore convergence issue - like you have with height over bore). For that reason if I was buying an RTS2 mount I probably would have avoided it (thought i've previously has great success with a variety of cheely mounts). HOWEVER, i recently got a new gun which came with RTS2 on cheely mount and I have to say the offset is a non issue. It's really not noticeable (you have to look very closely to even spot that it's offset) and certainly not an issue when shooting. It's the tiniest amount of offset. I would happily use and recommend the cheely RTS2 mount.