Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 PTX Question

got my new press running 99.9% and couldn't be happier.  I do find that the stock PTX doesn't create the best flare for my coated 115gr 9mm bullets so I need to relax on the upstroke and let the spring do its job unlike my LNL where I'm seating primers.  I use a Mr. BF PTX on my LNL and bought one for the 1050 to try.  It worked very well, but as has been reported tends to "grab" the case mouth on the upstroke, something I never noticed on my LNL.  I can't imagine this is doing any harm to the press and my return to the Mr. BF component.  Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, what are your thoughts?

It's not that I'm looking for more speed, but I'm so focused on the powder level that occasionally a tipped over bullet will sneak by me.  I'm thinking of putting together a camera system which will further take my attention away from the shell plate so I want my incidence of tipped over bullets to go to zero (and I don't want to expand any more than necessary).

Update: I did find the original discussion from 2015, Here.  I'll try backing off on the PTX just a bit and see what happens.  I'm reluctant to eliminate the swaging stage as suggested by some since when I buy once-fired brass I do encounter crimped primers.  In the early thread Rick Koskela also suggested looking a shell plate play and I can investigate that when I lube things up.

Thanks, Rick

Edited by RickT
new information

HI RickT,

I have a similar setup on my 1050.  I have the Mr. BF expander in my Dillon powder measure, but was not getting the flair I wanted to prevent any chance of shaving off the poly coated lead bullets. I reload 9mm mainly and I decided to add a Hornady 40 S&W expander die after the powder station.  The 40 expander add the perfect amount of bell to my 9mm cases and I have not had any issues with shaving off the coatings on my lead/poly coated bullets.  If you have a 40 SW expander die, give it a shot.

I gave up on both the OEM expander because it wasn't enough and the Mr. Bulletfeeder funnel "jams" on the upstroke.

I solved this issues by using a Redding expander in station 2 regulated to expand but not bell and the OEM funel to bell the case. That combo works perfectly well!