Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long to lube a 1050?

Dillon recommends lubing every 10K rounds which for me would be every two months or so.  My press is new, but I probably have 5K rounds through it and I'm going to get with the program in the next few days.  There is going to be a learning curve so I'm not too concerned about how long this will take the first time around, but for those experience with the press how long do you find it takes to hit all the lube points in the manual?

First time I stripped the press to clean and lube took about 3 - 4 hours, but I went slow and careful.  I just did it again a couple of days ago, and took it even further and removed the entire crank to inspect the needle bearings and relube.  This time it only took about 2 hours total to disassemble, inspect, lube and reassemble and reset the swager. 

Edited by zen_grasshopper

I used the book, and the second time I just did it.  The crank isn't that bad once you get the carrier cap bolt out.  Mine was loctited in with about 600 ozs of the stuff!  Thought I was going to break an allen wrench or strip the head so I used my butane torch to heat it up.  You don't have to strip the crank to relube it, just put bearing grease in a grease syringe and inject it into the holes or pull the crank out slightly to lube the bearings.  I only fully disassembled mine it to see what condition they were in and I like taking things apart. 

This video will show you how to disassemble and reassemble everything but the crank.

Edited by zen_grasshopper

The very first time I completely stripped and relubed mine, it took 2-3hrs.  I bought it used so I did it first thing and it was already unmounted from the bench. That time includes completely cleaning/degreasing all of the needle bearings after disassembly.  I don't expect it to take more than two hours the next time though.

Great stuff!!

Edit: Did the top end step by step per the video this morning :) !! That is indeed a slick vid. 

Had this same problem with lubing the bottom end. 

"The crank isn't that bad once you get the carrier cap bolt out.  Mine was loctited in with about 600 ozs of the stuff!  Thought I was going to break an allen wrench or strip the head so I used my butane torch to heat it up. "

Gave up on getting the cap bolt out for the time being. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS