Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder ?'s

ThomasPI

Yes, many powders can be used in multiple calibers...for a cheap, plinking, and safe powder for starting out, I suggest Alliant Power Pistol. I have loaded 9mm, 38/357, 40S&W, 44 special, and 44 mag with it. It is somewhat bulky, which makes a double charge highly unlikely without being noticed, cheap (usually around $18-$22 a pound), and usually pretty easy to find. It is not a great powder for competition,  but it does alot in a bunch of calibers. 

In real light loads (target practice) where PF doesn't matter at all,

I'd suggest using the lightest bullets with almost ANY powder -

Red Dot, WW231, etc - all work just fine in 9mm - .45 ACP.

If you decide to get serious, and demand accuracy and a certain

PF, then I'd stick with faster powders like WW231 and heavier

bullets.

I believe that it is imperative to visually confirm the level of powder

in each and every case Before you seat the bullet - you'll need a light

to do that, and you must force yourself to take the time/effort to

look into each case - if you do that, you do NOT need a bulky powder -

then you can go with a more efficient powder.

Good ol' Unique, works in practically everything.

Seriously though, there's a ton.

I like Bullseye, Titegroup, and lately Red Dot.

I don't have much use for slower powders. But they are a bit harder to get in trouble with usually.

Thanks, I plan to use a light and make it a point to visually check each powder drop. Going to use a 550 and on the bench adjacent to drop station leave a case with case with a powder load for a quick second visual check to compare powder levels.

• 2 weeks later...

Titegroup is my go to for 9mm. 

You can use WST for .40, you can get some real crazy low recoil loads with that one.

When first starting out, I thought about trying to consolidate powders, but honestly, it's not that big of deal to have 2. Just don't mix them up. =)

11 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Duke, are you loading 9mm Minor or Major?

If Minor, what is it about a slow powder and light bullet that you like so much?

9mm Minor.  I like the velocities and recoil.  I have tried a few of the faster powders,such as 231 and csb1.  I've also tried AA5. 

Silhouette and true blue have been very accurate for me.  Keep in mind that I have only been reloading for 3 years now, but the accuracy and velocity of silhouette (134 pf with a 115 xtreme) and the feel of it from a 5" barrel have made it my favorite in 9.

13 hours ago, DukeEB said:

9mm Minor.  I like the velocities and recoil.  I have tried  faster powders,such as 231.

I can understand you "like the velocity" - but faster powders  will also give you the same velocity.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that you "like the recoil" ... does that

mean  you kind of miss the recoil  when you go to faster powders and heavier bullets?

What was it about the faster powders didn't you like, for minor 9mm loads?

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I can understand you "like the velocity" - but faster powders  will also give you the same velocity.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that you "like the recoil" ... does that

mean  you kind of miss the recoil  when you go to faster powders and heavier bullets?

What was it about the faster powders didn't you like, for minor 9mm loads?

Accuracy was my main factor, and the silhouette/true blue loads were the most accurate.  With the limited tests that I did, the faster powders did not give me the accuracy I wanted.  I probably need to do more testing, especially with heavier bullets.  Lowering recoil has not been my primary concern to date, I'm a creature of habit I suppose.

I have shot 10's of thousands of Winchester primers without a single problem,but  one recent quirk in the last couple of years is a slight dimensional difference between them and the CCI's. not enough to affect loading, but CCI LP run fine through a vibra-prime and WIN LP will not. At least with my specific one.

i know this is more of a powder thread, but because primers are getting mentioned it is worth noting that there are other considerations in primer choice besides just powder/primer performance.

I imagine anything you can buy cheap and local will work if its for shotgun or pistol.  Use HP38 here.  I use only federal primers, but for competition so dont' mind the cost.

Edited by Daft

5 hours ago, dcalvert said:

Vita Vhouri N320 would be the one pistol powder one my bench. I always use winchester primers.

dcalvert

Vihtavuori N320 would be my choice too, especially as it is always available where I live.

Strictly Minor for 9mm, will make Major in .40.

On 1/9/2017 at 8:53 PM, Jeff Phillips said:

231 is a stellar all around powder, and HP-38 is nearly (if not identical) the same. The only drawback is that it can be a little temperature sensitive. WSF is my fallback, but it is a bit dirtier.

My understanding is that HP38 and 231 are identical. Same facility, same line different jugs and labels.

On 12/31/2016 at 7:04 PM, ThomasPI said:

Slowly planning to get into reloading 9mm & 40 SW for target practice rounds only. Am I ok to use one common powder in both rounds and if so, suggestions?

Thanks ! 

So by practice rounds I am guessing you aren't trying to make major PF in USPSA?  If you pay close attention to what you are doing and load light and long, either Titegroup and VV N320 both work well.

If you like a lot of noise and flash, Power Pistol is great fun in low light!