Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 area 7 in MA???

So the 2017 area 7 championship is going to be held in Massachusetts.  I'm sure thats not news to a lot of you but I really can not figure out why it would be held there.  Massachusetts has some of the most strict laws in the country as far as guns go.  Again I'm sure thats not news to most of you.  So heres my issue.  If you want to shoot limited or open at area 7 this year and you haven't had your high capacity mags since 1994 you are breaking the law.  Please correct me if I'm wrong and I really hope I am.  If what I believe is correct I feel this is a major over site as far as the management at USPSA goes.  Why would you hold a match that draws competitors from all over in a place that would make them criminals?  I know this is a bit of a political issue but seriously WTF.  Why would they do this.  If you held the match in a state that didn't allow any high capacity that would make more sense.  Then everyone is limited to the same mag capacity no questions.  This issue in MA seems kind of unique to me.  The old timers can shoot real open and limited and the young guns will be shooting L10 or open with 10 round mags.  Just doesnt make sense to me.  Again I hope I am wrong.  Please help me understand this.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/31/2016 at 5:28 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

I would hope that the MD will clearly communicate a policy that levels the field,

well in advance of the match ...   :huh:

I'll start with the disclaimer that I didn't hear this first hand but my understanding is if you have pre ban mags you can shoot hi capacity and if you don't than your not supposed to and are illegal to posses in MA.  I hope someone that is in a position of authority for this match chimes in because if that is the case than the system is broken as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I would never risk becoming a felon to make that point. 

Nor should the match twist your arm. If you want to be competitive in limited, open or pcc you better have some old ass mags. Like over 20 years old. 

when i've shot a match in MA before i stayed in Connecticut and drove in, that way I was always just "in transit" in MA with a firearm with no permit as a non-resident. i also carried a letter from the NRA saying i was a competitor going to a sanctioned shooting competition in the state of MA. and i still brought only 10rnd mags. i said  wouldn't go back after that hassle.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I agree.  

But, one of my favorite matches was in Mass.  

BUT, NJ/NY are another such states - too restrictive to hold anything but revolver/production/SS comps.

At least in NY everyone would be held to the same standard. Every division would be limited to 10 no matter when the mags were manufactured.  In MA it's ok if they are preban. The playing field isn't even. Your being forced to break the law if you actually want to be competitive. 

So what good is this rule if nobody is going to use it?

3.3.1 In states where competitors are restricted by law to maximum magazine capacity, that maximum capacity will be the maximum allowed for all competitors in the contest. Any such limitations must be made known to all competitors by the Match Director/Range Master before the start of the match. 

Harvard Sportsman's Club stepped up and volunteered to hold the USPSA Area 7 Match in 2017.  It is a great club with more than adequate facilities.  USPSA offers enough divisions for everyone to shoot.  All of you know how difficult it is to host a match of this magnitude and finding a club willing to host it. The laws of the host state suck, but everyone that wants to shoot will find a way.  Don't presume to tell us in New England to host the match somewhere else.  I thank Harvard Sportsman' Club for hosting this match and will do everything in my power to see that it is a great match.

Find a way to shoot the match or don't, all of your bellyaching won't change anything.  The match will fill up in a couple of hours with or without you.

1 hour ago, mccurdy53 said:

Harvard Sportsman's Club stepped up and volunteered to hold the USPSA Area 7 Match in 2017.  It is a great club with more than adequate facilities.  USPSA offers enough divisions for everyone to shoot.  All of you know how difficult it is to host a match of this magnitude and finding a club willing to host it. The laws of the host state suck, but everyone that wants to shoot will find a way.  Don't presume to tell us in New England to host the match somewhere else.  I thank Harvard Sportsman' Club for hosting this match and will do everything in my power to see that it is a great match.

Find a way to shoot the match or don't, all of your bellyaching won't change anything.  The match will fill up in a couple of hours with or without you.

Wow, impressive sales pitch!

There are only a couple clubs in area 7 capable of holding an area match. It's a challenge every year finding a venue.  The good folks in Maine have hosted it the past couple years but can't do it every year.  Harvard is one of the only other clubs that are big enough and luckily have agreed to host.  

Harvard has hosted many times and open and limited are always well represented.  

38 minutes ago, Dan Sierpina said:

Odd concern from someone living in New York.

We are all on the same playing field here thats my point, in Maine its about who has the old mags and who doesn't.

27 minutes ago, teros135 said:

So, what's the actual bottom line for this match?  Everybody shoots 10 rds max, or essentially two classes, depending on what mags you own?

Two separate classes in the same division.  Some open guys shoot with 10 round mags and some can shoot full 170mm mags.  Same issue for limited and PCC.  Really stupid.  

Edited by Edge40

The fact of the matter is that you can't determine if your mags are pre ban or not. If you want to shoot the match, sign up and shoot it.  Just don't get pulled over or do anything stupid.  Harvard is a nice facility and have hosted this match a few times with no one getting popped because of their magazines.