Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning your gun... only shooting 100rds a match

taymag

So before I started USPSA we would shoot on our property all day, maybe 500rds+ each gun, so cleaning wasn't as questionable.

I just started shooting USPSA and was wondering, if you had a stock Glock 17 would you clean it after every practice match? I mean, we're only shooting 75-100rds.

I guess my main question is, does anything "stick" if you don't clean it? We're just talking about powder residue right? I never have leading issues and I notice no noticeable accuracy issues even 500+ rounds in if I shoot that in a single day, just to clear that up too.

7 minutes ago, sbo76 said:

I like to run my guns for about the same as a high round count big match so I am aware of any reliability issues.  A glock needs to be cleaned every 1-3k rounds.

Ok so what I am asking really is does it hurt to leave that residue in there? I shoot N320 which is one of the cleanest powders I've used but after even 100rds i have a handful of dirty patches.

Another way to look at it for me, is I know I can probably fire endlessss rounds through this thing without an jam, I've literally never had one in probably 4K rounds other than user error. So I hate cleaning knowing i easily have at least 10x that before i would even question reliability.

so for arguements sake, will it clean up just as good if shot 5 matches with it and cleaned it a month later?

Edited by taymag

22 minutes ago, js1130146 said:

When I had a Glock I wiped the outside down sometimes. That counts as cleaning right?

I miss those days. I once cleaned my mags off in a puddle when they got muddy during a match. The old 34 ran perfect with wet mags. :)

43 minutes ago, taymag said:

Ok so what I am asking really is does it hurt to leave that residue in there? I shoot N320 which is one of the cleanest powders I've used but after even 100rds i have a handful of dirty patches.

so for arguements sake, will it clean up just as good if shot 5 matches with it and cleaned it a month later?

Nope, won't hurt anything, probably not the best idea for long term storage.

Yes, it will, I usually clean the bore of my 17 every 1000-1500, unless I do something stupid and lead it up.

I have detail stripped and cleaned the FCG twice, once when I did the trigger work a couple years ago and again this year when pieces were approaching unrecognizable, gun has 10k on it, maybe more, everything cleaned up just fine without any excess effort.

I clean my gun after every outing.   Mostly removing powder residue.  I do not take it apart to do the interior.  Since switching to coated bullets I don't even bother running a brush down the barrel.  I haven't seen lead in thousands of rounds.

46 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I miss those days. I once cleaned my mags off in a puddle when they got muddy during a match. The old 34 ran perfect with wet mags. :)

Darn 1911/2011s that want cleaned every thousand rounds or so. Just not the same

8 hours ago, taymag said:

Another way to look at it for me, is I know I can probably fire endlessss rounds through this thing without an jam, I've literally never had one in probably 4K rounds other than user error. So I hate cleaning knowing i easily have at least 10x that before i would even question reliability.

Your not going to hurt anything by not cleaning it for a month. Oil it ever once in a while and it's going to run for 10k rounds no problem. 

Here's another take on cleaning.

1.) Can you clean a gun too much? 

2.) You might find something on the verge of breaking when you are cleaning it.

3.) If this is your carry gun, do you want to put off cleaning it until 1 to 2 thousand rounds?

In the time that I spent typing this post I could have broken down my pistol and wiped any fouling and ran a snake down the bore.

1 hour ago, LabMan said:

2.) You might find something on the verge of breaking when you are cleaning it.

3.) If this is your carry gun, do you want to put off cleaning it until 1 to 2 thousand rounds?

In the time that I spent typing this post I could have broken down my pistol and wiped any fouling and ran a snake down the bore.

I understand the ease and most the time don't have anything to do so its no big deal, was mainly just wondering if any residue can become permanent. I haven't a clue what else is in gun powder that may have long term damage if it sits on metal/poly, even though I figure the answer is nothing.

My carry gets cleaned every trip, mainly because I want to keep it lubed and I just clean when I do that. This is not a carry gun its strictly USPSA use.

The reason this came up is because I have an FDE Glock and you really see how dirty they get when your frame is anything but black.

5 hours ago, LabMan said:

1.) Yes, yes you can. Especially the barrel. It's the quickest way to wear out your bore. Heck, Schuemann even claims to never clean them. He says he puts nothing but bullets down the barrel. 

3.) I've let my carry gun go a couple thousand rounds between cleanings. If I wasn't confident in its ability to run in adverse conditions I wouldn't carry it. If your carry gun needs to be clean to be reliable you may want to reevaluate your choice.

Edited by js1130146

1 hour ago, js1130146 said:

1.) Yes, yes you can. Especially the barrel. It's the quickest way to wear out your bore. Heck, Schuemann even claims to never clean them. He says he puts nothing but bullets down the barrel. 

I'm sorry, no disrespect but I don't believe that cleaning will ruin your barrel. Unless your using acid.

1 hour ago, js1130146 said:

3.) I've let my carry gun go a couple thousand rounds between cleanings. If I wasn't confident in its ability to run in adverse conditions I wouldn't carry it. If your carry gun needs to be clean to be reliable you may want to reevaluate your 

that is just crazy. You are basically saying that you are consciously letting your weapon get and stay dirty because it is reliable? And that because that someone cleans their gun they aren't confident in their weapon?

Is that what your saying?

27 minutes ago, LabMan said:

I'm sorry, no disrespect but I don't believe that cleaning will ruin your barrel. Unless your using acid.

that is just crazy. You are basically saying that you are consciously letting your weapon get and stay dirty because it is reliable? And that because that someone cleans their gun they aren't confident in their weapon?

Is that what your saying?

No. I wrote exactly what I intended to say.

1.) You can clean a gun too much. Over cleaning a barrel WILL wear it out faster than cleaning it a reasonable amount.

2.) I said I have done it before. It's not my preference, but I did it. I wanted to give it a thorough test to ensure reliability. It was just a small anecdote. What you do with your guns cleaning wise makes no difference to me. I also said nothing about "someone" not being confident in their gun because they clean it. Mine get cleaned regularly. I just simply wouldn't carry a gun that I couldn't trust to function dirty. You never know what the situation will bring.

Go pick a fight somewhere else. 

Edited by js1130146

Taymag, getting back to your question, not cleaning your firearm will degrade it's finish over time. It will pit your barrel. You are better served to clean your firearm. It is common sense.

This is the problem with Internet forums, people resort to verbal insults and detract from the intent of the post. Some people either knowingly or ignorantly put forth falsehoods as facts.