Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the M&P compact BUG legal in 2017?

narwhal

So, I've taken the calipers to my M&P compact.  In the latest revision they bumped the weight up to 26 oz w/ an unloaded mag, my m&p compact weighs 24.75 oz. 

It's really close on the other dimensions. It's almost exactly 6.5" long (6.5" max). It's about 4.3" tall with the non-pinky extension magazines (4.5" max).  With the large grip insert, it's questionable on width, but since the grip insert is kind of spongy I can get a 1.35" reading if I depress the rubber grip a little bit with calipers at it's very widest point, otherwise it's about 1.38" (the limit being 1.375").  Width becomes well within limits if you go to the medium or smaller grip insert.  Barrel length is also close but mine measures 3.4" from the back of the chamber to the muzzle.  You don't have to include the feed ramp in that measurement do you?

I was wondering if anyone else had looked into this or if there has been any kind of ruling, since it is so close every dimension except height.  I'm on the fence about whether to shoot it in CCP w/ pinky extensions or BUG w/o anyway.

Thanks.  

Edited by narwhal

17 minutes ago, rstandley said:

Pull up the MFG specs. That will be the official specification used.

Thanks, S&W lists the compact as 6.7" long which would be .2" over.  Barrel is listed as 3.5" and weight as 24.9 oz.  I'd imagine it still fits in the box, because it's not over 6.5" in any one axis (it's probably 6.7 if you measure from the back of the bobbed beavertail to the muzzle, but they aren't on the same plane) but I guess not legal for BUG.  They don't list a height or width spec that I see on the internet.

Edited by narwhal

The 6.7" length will get it kicked out. It won't fit into the box because of the butt stock sticking out too far. I had a problem with my G-34 with a mag well not fitting into the box, I had to trim the mag well about 1/4" to get it to fit. since you have to use ESP rules as far as modifications, you may be able to trim the butt stock some. Find a box and see how it fits.

S&W specs the height of a M&P Shield 9 or 40 as 4.6 inches. 2017 IDPA rule book limits BUG height to 4.5 inches. I drew a rectangle the size of a BUG box with 2017 dimensions - my M&P Shield 9 will not fit even with the flush magazine given the 4.5 inch height constraint.

Edited by chasbo00
clarity

20 minutes ago, chasbo00 said:

S&W specs the height of a M&P Shield 9 or 40 as 4.6 inches. 2017 IDPA rule book limits BUG height to 4.5 inches. I drew a rectangle the size of a BUG box with 2017 dimensions - my M&P Shield 9 will not fit even with the flush magazine given the 4.5 inch height constraint.

Yeah, I think the M&P compact is a good bit shorter than the M&P shield, at least when using the flat base magazines without the pinky extensions.  The compact is about 4.3" from the bottom of the magazine baseplate to the top of the rear sight, which I reckon should be the tallest point on the pistol.

23 minutes ago, narwhal said:

Yeah, I think the M&P compact is a good bit shorter than the M&P shield, at least when using the flat base magazines without the pinky extensions.  The compact is about 4.3" from the bottom of the magazine baseplate to the top of the rear sight, which I reckon should be the tallest point on the pistol.

My M&P 9 Compact is just a bit too long for the BUG box I drew. Height is OK though. So, the M&P Compact too is too long and the M&P Shield too tall to meet the IDPA's 2017 rule book BUG dimensions. S&W - no BUG-S for you.

Edited by chasbo00

Haha, kind of frustrating.  I've been practicing for an upcoming classifier with my M&P compact and am well within the expert time almost every run in BUG with it, but usually 5 seconds over expert in CCP with it.  Oh well, more motivation to practice I guess, doesn't really matter since I doubt I'll ever shoot anything beyond a club level match and classification is just for my ego.