Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quick reloads

rjkelso

I like to make up enough dummy rounds (brass & bullet, no powder or primer) to load up 8 moon clips or speed loaders.  I then practice reloads in ~20 minute sessions, starting off slow and paying attention to my form, and then gradually speed up until I start to fumble my reloads at the end of the session.  I go do something else for a while and then repeat. 

I also start off with static reloads and then throw in movement and walking.

Revoman - the drop in. I use the JM reload and am happy with that. Should I toss the moon clips? Place them? Push them in? Should the gun be absolutely pointed at the ground or at an angle? Should it be down by my belt or coming up to meet the moonclip? I,m probably over thinking this.

Van - I have three dummy moonclips . I draw and aim at a 1/3 scale piece of cardboard in the shape of a pepper popper watching my sight picture then reload three times aiming at the popper between reloads. I try to get 10 in a row. I take a break when I get pooped.

What I do is watch the rounds into the holes, when they are halfway in, drop the clip and let them fall the rest of the way.  The gun is pointed mostly down, but not all the way vertical. I haven't analyzed my technique enough to answer more of your questions. I just do it and it works.

I drop/throw mine from a few inches above the gun for standing reloads, and if on the move I place them. As soon as the clip leaves my hand I look up. Similar to JM reload, but I don't rotate my left hand as far as he does, and I eject with my index finger instead of thumb. Consistently 1.6s standing reloads at 7 on open targets in practice. 

Seem like a lot of people put a lot of stock in a reload, or a crazy fast one. You can win any major match with a revo and never break 2.0s. The biggest thing is that it has to be consistent. 

rjkelso, have you chamferred the cylinder chambers?  Even just breaking the corners 1/32" really helps the bullets align and slide in.

Also, I've found an important part of the reload (at least for me) was maintaining a proper grip and coming back up to target quickly for that first shot.  I always found I either took too long to line up that first shot, or I was going high right for a charlie or delta

Edited by VanMan1961

I have chamfered the cylinder chambers as per the pics here on the forum and I think I am good. I know re-gripping the gun is huge, the big butt grip I bought helps me get my hands back in the right place. Especially my weak hand. 

Carmoney's  got  lthe answer.   Bring the gun close to your belt.

Do not point it straight down, that's breaking the 180 and some ROs will catch you on that since they don't understand a revolver reload.

Use Round Nose bullets.  The pointier the better.

When you eject your brass do it with authority.  Smash that ejector rod.  Keep your brass clean it will slide in and out better.

You can throw your brass in but my hand is moving so fast I just keep it going until the brass is in the cylinder and then close the cylinder with a flick of the wrist and use my palm  so that I'm not forcing the crane enough to bend it.  But that's why they make gunsmiths.

If you do a consistent 2 second reload you are doing well.  My goal is 1 1/2 seconds.

I do the weak hand reload but loading the clip uses the same actions. 

When ejecting the clip I only use my thumb for extracting the clip as the revolver is usually pointed up and I let gravity help. No need for the slamming of the extractor unless you have sticky  brass. 

Next I bring the revolver down to waist level while my weak hand reaches for a new clip. I drop the clip as soon as it touches the cylinder and then close the cylinder with my palm as my weak hand moves toward reestablishing my grip. 

Shoot and repeat. When I first started shooting revolver I used the JM reload and then I switched to the weak hand reload. It felt more comfortable for me and I was more consistent with the reload and follow-up shot.

Practice  slow and watch the mechanics. Then speed up and set a goal to do so many in a row without a flub. Practice both static and moving reloads as you will encounter both during a course of fire.

Do not worry about time until you have the mechanics down.  The reload can be fast but if the first shot after the reload is not an A hit then the speed was for nothing. As you lose points in USPSA and add points in ICORE.

How interesting, he really bends over when he drops it in the cylinder. And he hangs on to the moonclip till he gets very close.

Hey Toothguy are you a dentist? My dad had his own practice for over 40yrs.

Thanks

If you watch the bending over, Jerry comes up and half the motion is from his waist and half from his arms.  So he's cut the distance and time to get back on target.  I'm not sure this was a conscience movement or just natural reaction.  I've tried it and can't ever seem to make it right.

20 hours ago, MWP said:

And Rob

15 hours ago, AzShooter said:

If you do a consistent 2 second reload you are doing well.  My goal is 1 1/2 seconds.

I'm not disagreeing because 2.0 is pretty sporty to say the least, especially over and over again.

How are we defining this, is this a shot to shot thing with a guaranteed alpha?  at what distance?

If you really analyze what jerry is doing, stunningly fast, the difference in the speed is how fast he fires the shot coming off the machaniations of all the gun handling.  All the hand speed, getting it out, getting it in, getting it closed, etc...is amazing because he does it so consistently, but the money in the bank is the immediacy with the shot coming off the reload.

• 3 weeks later...