Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SPS Vista 38SC Review

mike_pinto

Don't load played I had nothing but feeding problems an could not keep a constant velocity with all the plated and coated bullets out there pretty sure I tried them all Montana gold is the only way to go 

Hope u lovd the sps long as much as I do the short 

Campro plated is all we have here in Canada. So far other shooters have no complaints with STI or CZ open platform. Hope SPS will be okay with Campro.

VV power is all other open shooter use in my area. But I have 4 lbs of CFE-P, I better use up those CFE before I get into the VV expensive stuff.

Planning to load 7.3 gr CFE-P, 124 gr Campro plated, 1.235 OAL.

Edited by Magictalent

On 2/22/2017 at 5:53 PM, Acsr said:

As said above no plated go jacketed either montana gold or precision delta, my load for auto comp in 38 super/sc was 7.6 gr at 1.235 oal

How is Auto Comp working for you?

I have hear lots of good thing about Auto Comp, but not seen too many shooter use it in my area.

Can you share some info with using Auto Comp? Is it easy to clean? I do not really into getting the gun shoot flat at this time.

Just want to make sure it go bang every time and meet PF. Recoil should not be worse than standard gun. :-)

Thanks in advance.

I have a lot of autocomp and cfe pistol, but identical, but am currently using aa#7 with about 10.4 gr this load seems more gassy and softer recoil, but auto comp was a good clean powder and have nothing against it, but am liking#7 better, ac is a clean burning powder and alot of shooters use it.  I have found primers and proper bullet crimp are more important for reliability.  

• 1 month later...

Okay, my SPS long Vista is finally here in my hand.

Shoot it last week. The gun eats both 38 S and 38 SC.

Work well with SPS mag. Not that good with tuned STI mag. That may because SPS is a clone of SVI and mag sits differently.

For a little more than 2K USD, I can't complain too much.

Very good thing about the gun, it run out of the box with my 7.2 CFE load out of the box.

I have been shooting mine for about 2 months now.  My only complaints have been mags and the machining on the inside of the gun.

My SPS mag was dragging on the slide and I have been tuning it slowly as to not take off too much material.  That mag would run SC but there was dragging of the rim of the case on the next round in the mag.  When I switched to Super Comp, that issue went away.

I have been polishing the crap out of the internals of the gun.  lots of rough spots and I could hear that it was dragging in spots.  Again I have been going slowly as to not mess anything up.  I have done a round or two of using lapping compound on the rails ( the lightest compound I could find ) to smooth things out.  There was some drag on the disco as well that I resolved with a new EGW disco and some polishing of the slide.  There still seems like there is too much resistance going on so I will keep working on it slowly.  I switched out the recoil spring with a 9 lb and it has run ok.  But I still think there is some rough spots that need worked out.  I know there are people running much lower spring weights but I don't think I can at this point.

I also tried to switch the grip out with my STI plastic grip that I had so that I could use a magwell.  (The SPS grip will not take any commercial magwells)  But my MBX mags were riding too high and hitting the slide so I took it back off.  I have a CK grip that I will try at some point and report back on that.

But the truth is that is does run pretty well for what it is. I would recommend this as a backup gun or for someone like me that didn't know if they wanted to go open or not. I am sold on the division and I will be trying to get a custom gun made as soon as the funds are available for it.  

Hi Sporky

I am new to Open too. So I pick SPS because it is at a reasonable price level. I also hope I don't need to work the gun.

I do find the gun are "too tight". Not sure what the issue is. I am a CZ guy before I get the SPS.

With CZ shadow and CZ TSO, I don't need to work the gun at all. Just pew pew pew.

I hope the SPS will just work like CZ. No need to be the best of the best. Just need to go bang every-time I pull the trigger.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
19 hours ago, Magictalent said:

One and half year later, my SPS finally shoots. I have try everything to make it work. At the end all I need this  .357 bullet......

So this barrel

isnt for .355.356 projectiles? 

Below are what I get from the differences between 2 bullets. both Campro plated. Same load. 7.25 gr CFE pistol. OAL at 1.245 

I wish I know better and make the switch much earlier. Almost sold this nice gun for nothing because I think it do not shoot well.

.355 124 gr bullet at 15 yard free hand

image.png.dd0f72d79ee6c302bd7f6336c4df4cc3.png

.357 125 gr bullet 15 yard free hand.

image.thumb.png.e654bd589de15519f3996fbeac68e6dd.png

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/18/2020 at 1:04 AM, MuayThaiJJ said:

I have been looking at this gun, has anyone swapped in a 9mm barrel? The 38 barrel is threaded, correct? So one could fit another threaded barrel chambered in 9mm, attach the comp, and replace MS and RS?

Any gunsmith could fit a barrel and comp to this gun.