Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small rifle primer possibly in 9mm load...

taymag

So you know how your loading tubes have the one stuck in the end even when you empty them? So I think I left one in from 300blk (small rifle primer) when I loaded my 9mm small pistol primers, which would push that one to my last one.

What happens if this is fired? I load mid range... I believe there is plenty of room (error) to spare if that makes a difference. I load 3.4gr of N320 in my 147gr's and I've loaded up to 3.8 without trouble (I guess not plenty of room for error, but some)

Just now, GrumpyOne said:

Not much, if anything. Mainly, the cup of the SMR may be harder than that of the regular small pistol primer. Tbey should have the same amount of priming compound. Shoot it.

I assume this answer if for any mix, but I use Remington 7 1/2BR small rifle and CCI 500 Small pistol. There are interchangeable? Not that I am going to, but if it slipped by at least

During the great primer shortage, people were using whatever they could find that fit in the brass pocket...a few had ill effects from some, mainly using soft loads with rifle or magnum primers (and then only certain brandsĺ...The soft loads would not let the primer seal the pocket (if they were using one of the harder cup primers), and after several hundred (or thousand rounds), they would get some breech face erosion...but for just one primer? I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

1 minute ago, GrumpyOne said:

During the great primer shortage, people were using whatever they could find that fit in the brass pocket...a few had ill effects from some, mainly using soft loads with rifle or magnum primers (and then only certain brandsĺ...The soft loads would not let the primer seal the pocket (if they were using one of the harder cup primers), and after several hundred (or thousand rounds), they would get some breech face erosion...but for just one primer? I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Cool. Thanks fellow Floridian, stay warm up there, heard its going to be in the 60s tonight lol

I'm guessing you've loaded up a bunch of 9mm ammo and one may have a SRP in it. The safe thing to do is to pull them all apart and salvage the powder and bullets. Chalk it up to a reloading learning experience and call it a day. Only your pride and a little of your pocket book gets hurt.

There's a couple possible outcomes if you try to fire a 9mm round with a SRP. The striker/firing pin will not have enough energy to dent the primer since it's harder (cup) than a SPP and it will not ingnite. The other outcome is the primer ignites. Then you have to consider that a magnum SPP is stronger than a normal SPP and a SRP is stronger than a magnum SPP.

4 minutes ago, 72stick said:

I'm guessing you've loaded up a bunch of 9mm ammo and one may have a SRP in it. The safe thing to do is to pull them all apart and salvage the powder and bullets. Chalk it up to a reloading learning experience and call it a day. Only your pride and a little of your pocket book gets hurt.

There's a couple possible outcomes if you try to fire a 9mm round with a SRP. The striker/firing pin will not have enough energy to dent the primer since it's harder (cup) than a SPP and it will not ingnite. The other outcome is the primer ignites. Then you have to consider that a magnum SPP is stronger than a normal SPP and a SRP is stronger than a magnum SPP.

Everyone said its fine for future reference but I doubt it will happen again. One thing I just figured out is Remington 7 1/2 and CCI and different color hah. So I actually can just run through them tomorrow if need be to see.

38 minutes ago, 72stick said:

Not quite true. CCI small pistol magnum and CCI small rifle are interchangeable per CCI. The magnum primers will burn just a bit hotter than the regular small pistol. Most spm primers will have a softer cup than the sr primers, but the same amount of priming compound. During the great primer shortage, I shot 15-20k of Winchester SPM primers in my Shadow with absolutely no ill effects....and zero misfires.

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

Not quite true. CCI small pistol magnum and CCI small rifle are interchangeable per CCI. The magnum primers will burn just a bit hotter than the regular small pistol. Most spm primers will have a softer cup than the sr primers, but the same amount of priming compound. During the great primer shortage, I shot 15-20k of Winchester SPM primers in my Shadow with absolutely no ill effects....and zero misfires.

Not according to CCI. This is from correspondence August 16, 2016 and August 18, 2016:

Q. Are your small pistol magnum primers (550) exactly the same as your small rifle standard primers (400)? There is a rumor on the internet that they are the same primer, just in a different box.

A. They are not the same primer, there are differences in the primer and you should follow published loading data. The web has some very dangerous information on it and anything that you use should be published and tested data. There is a difference in the mix. 

Justin M./Technical Service Rep.
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer
 (800)379-1732

Edited by superdude

22 minutes ago, superdude said:

Not according to CCI. This is from correspondence August 16, 2016 and August 18, 2016:

Q. Are your small pistol magnum primers (550) exactly the same as your small rifle standard primers (400)? There is a rumor on the internet that they are the same primer, just in a different box.

A. They are not the same primer, there are differences in the primer and you should follow published loading data. The web has some very dangerous information on it and anything that you use should be published and tested data. There is a difference in the mix. 

Justin M./Technical Service Rep.
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer
 (800)379-1732

I would bet CCI is saying that NOW, to cover their butt..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/282516_Interesting_Conversation_With_CCI_Tech_About_SPM_vs_SR_Primers_Today.html

While I haven't talked with a CCI tech, and I'm not disputing what Justin M said above, I would bet that his answer is the directed as the "company answer"  to that question to quell any potential legal actions.

6 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

I would bet CCI is saying that NOW, to cover their butt..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/282516_Interesting_Conversation_With_CCI_Tech_About_SPM_vs_SR_Primers_Today.html

While I haven't talked with a CCI tech, and I'm not disputing what Justin M said above, I would bet that his answer is the directed as the "company answer"  to that question to quell any potential legal actions.

The information, or the formulas and amounts, might have changed since that 2009 post.  In any case, I asked them a direct question, and that is what they told me.  I'm not going to entertain any conspiracy theories about 'covering their butt'.  I'm going to take their answer at face value as the technically correct and accurate answer. I'm not going to call them liars. You can call them liars if you want to, but before you do that, be professional and ask them yourself so you don't look like a conspiracy theory nut. 

4 hours ago, taymag said:

So you know how your loading tubes have the one stuck in the end even when you empty them? So I think I left one in from 300blk (small rifle primer) when I loaded my 9mm small pistol primers, which would push that one to my last one.

What happens if this is fired? I load mid range... I believe there is plenty of room (error) to spare if that makes a difference. I load 3.4gr of N320 in my 147gr's and I've loaded up to 3.8 without trouble (I guess not plenty of room for error, but some)

You won't even notice the difference. Many use several different primer types interchangeably with no ill effects.

Back when I was having light strike issues with my M&Ps I loaded up almost a box of 9MM reloads with Tula small rifle primers.  My CZ P07 lit every one of them off without any issues.  Proved, to me, the problem was primers or seating, but M&P related (finally go that fixed but put them out to pasture anyway).

+1 on he'll never know the difference for this case.

This question points out to me that I must be diligent to not make a similar error when transitioning loading from pistol to rifle where this type of error is significant.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk