Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

62 grain load for everything vs 55 and 69 for 3 gun

Novock

Question for the group. 

I currently run 55 grain burner ammo for short range and 69 grain for long range targets in 3 gun. I am sick of having different zeros to remember and would like to simplify my rifle game... Other than cost and a potential decrease in long range accuracy on a windy day can you think of any other disadvantage to running 62 grain ammo for everything?

I run a 16" JP PSC-11 with 1:8 twist.

Edited by Novock

Only reason I can think of is that I personally have not found 62 gr very accurate in any of my AR's. Always have found 55 or 75 to give me best results. If you can come up with a load that gives you satisfactory accuracy, go for it.

I am of the same mind - I like the idea of having a bit more weight to buck the wind and hit steel a littl harder than 55gr loads (I run 55gr for everything).

The only headache can be finding inexpensive FMJ that does not contain the M855 penetrator (not allowed at most matches). I really like the idea of running Hornady 62gr FMJ because I have found their 55gr FMJ to shoot almost as well as much more expensive Ballistic Tips. Unfortunately, I have not found a load with my current powder (AA2460) behind the 62gr FMJ that shoots better than 2MOA. A friend got stellar results with H335, so I have some of his loads to try.

If the 62gr loads can be made to shoot sub-MOA, then I will use them for long-ranges, and may still use the same charge behind a 55gr FMJ for hoser stages (less recoil). I will also play around with match bullets in the same weight range. Lots of experimenting to be done in the next few weeks. :devil:

I use a 62 gr soft point bullet for everything.  It works pretty well for me.  About the only time I am wishing I had some 75-77gr magic is when I am engaging a spinner.  my accuracy is acceptable, as it stays under 2MOA. 

I used to get 64gr gold dots, they were the best. 1MOA and hard hitting.  I wish I could go back to that...

I've had pretty good success with the 62gr FMJ bullet from Hornady. I run it over 23.6gr of Benchmark. Below are the results with the same load out of 2 different rifles. Both rifle have Odin 16" barrels w/ mid gas and were shot at 100yds (50yrd zero) in a lead sled solo. 

93555874-7CD8-4DF0-9ED0-40E6E2EA5E83_zps

B7316DA7-E58F-4506-A9A4-811058699E4C_zps

I have not tried the 62 grain bullets.  The match type HPBT bullets make the most sense because they retain energy better (flashing targets, spin spinners), have more wind resistance, and are more accurate.  Only one zero with those also.  If your only doing bay style shooting just get 55's.