Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow still relevant?

Honeybooboo

I'd have to think the Shadow will still be relevant to the same degree the standard 75 is currently. Some people will prefer the original frame ergos I'd guess, and it will continue to be a very reliable and accurate gun. I can't see the new model coming out having any impact on the future of the original 75 sp01 models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think the question should be will CZ keep producing it and not so much will people still want it?  You'd think if people still wanted they'd still produce it but maybe not. 

Is the the S2 on built on the machines?

1 hour ago, shooterDrew said:

I'd have to think the Shadow will still be relevant to the same degree the standard 75 is currently. Some people will prefer the original frame ergos I'd guess,

That.

It ain't like the Shadow was made with zero attention to ergos & other shooter preferences, and since everything is a compromise it seems reasonable that some will prefer the reduced weight & etc of the current model. 

I guess that was a bit more of a troll than I was meaning. my point is within reasonably large bounds the gun just doesn't matter, so if you are a xx% shooter with a Shadow and run out and get a Shadow 2 you will continue to be a XX% shooter. Now if the new Shadow (or Glock or FN or HK or Beretta or Smith or 1911 or Tanfo or Taurus or Grand Power or ?) gets you to practice more because its new and you like it you will probably improve, if not then everything will remain the same.

25 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I guess that was a bit more of a troll than I was meaning. my point is within reasonably large bounds the gun just doesn't matter, so if you are a xx% shooter with a Shadow and run out and get a Shadow 2 you will continue to be a XX% shooter. Now if the new Shadow (or Glock or FN or HK or Beretta or Smith or 1911 or Tanfo or Taurus or Grand Power or ?) gets you to practice more because its new and you like it you will probably improve, if not then everything will remain the same.

Very true 

2 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

If I could deal with a Glock trigger I would agree with you completely. Many can, but I shoot significantly less accurately with a Glock and I'm not unique in that regard. And then there is the whole duck hunting thing. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

once the Shadow2 makes it onto the USPSA Production list there are multiple ways to get the weight down from 48 ounces to the 45 ounce weight limit for Carry Optics division.....such as: milling the slide will take off more weight than adding a very lightweight optic, using a plastic (nylon) guide rod instead of the factory steel one, slimmer or lighter weight grip panels,  the reduction of front and rear sights, using a plastic or lighter mag than the CZ factory metal one (must weigh 45ounces with 1 empty mag inserted), possibly other lighter weight internal or external components................someone will figure out a way to get that weight down by the required amount to use the new Shadow2 for Carry Optics  :)

As long as the Shadow is the same profile as the SP01 that people use as a nightstand gun I would think that people are still going to like/request it.  To me, it would make more sense to change the safeties from the ridiculous paddles to the thins or potentially the same as the base SP-01, or just import the SP-01 Shadowline and call it a day.  I never understood why the base line shadows weren't produced in higher numbers and imported to so few places.  I doubt CZ is going to drop an SP-02 that has the same proportions as the S2 with an FPB.  For shooters who still shoot IDPA and USPSA, the Shadow fits both niches pretty well.  

I was at an Outdoor Superstore that prides itself on keeping over 20,000 guns in stock yesterday and they didn't have any SP-01s of any variety.  They did have 3 TS's, 1 CM, and a TSO (in 9mm), but zero SP-01s.  I think the SP-01 platform is still a good seller in it's FPB configuration. The only guns they had ample stock of were 75B's in 40 and P07/P09s.  They had a few of the compact series apiece (P01, P06, PCR, 75C), 75BSA, and one 40th anniversary 75B.  No decocker model anythings.  The range I shoot at can only keep the P series guns on the shelves in 40, the P series 9's vanish at a slower rate than the metal framed ones.  

They also didn't have a 75B in matte stainless, which is what I really wanted to look at.  I think for the time being CZ will sell anything they import. 

21 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

Agree 100%.  Still run an SP01 with trigger job, polishing, and spring work.  More than capable of winning anything in production even if the operator isn't.  You do not need a $1-$2,000 pistol to win or even be competitive in production.  Seems people forget that early on in production people were winning with basically stock Glock and/or Beretta pistols.  If my my memory is right, Leatham won Single Stack one year shooting 230 grain hardball ammo as opposed to 230 gr downloaded to a ~170-175 power factor.

Find a good pistol that points well, fits your hand well, that you know is reliable and on which you can get a good trigger job, has numerous choices for holsters and mag pouches, and has good enough accuracy for its intended use.  Then practice!  It is not the bells and whistles and the newest pistol from any manufacturer that imakes a winner.  Tons of perfect practice -- dry and live fire coupled with match experience -- makes the winners.  The top shooters in the sport are frequently sponsored; they are the front line marketing for new products. And, if at the very top of their sport, will be able to afford or are provided with the equipment of their choice for matches.  Most of us don't qualify unfortunately.  

14 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

I really wish I could try a Shadow 2 before putting the money down for one. It's a little steep for a production pistol without any custom shop work.

If you ever make it to a USPSA match at Riley in Terra Haute, I have one on order that you could check out. No clue when I will get it. 

Price wise, the rap is that it already has all of the right goodies except you may change springs. So I agree with you it is not cheap, but if you compare price to another gun with the sights and firing controls already competition ready correct & installed it prices favorably with some competitors. Where you can beat it is if you are comfortable with making modifications yourself & just need to buy the right parts. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

1 minute ago, IHAVEGAS said:

If you ever make it to a USPSA match at Riley in Terra Haute, I have one on order that you could check out. No clue when I will get it. 

Price wise, the rap is that it already has all of the right goodies except you may change springs. So I agree with you it is not cheap, but if you compare price to another gun with the sights and firing controls already competition ready correct & installed it prices favorably with some competitors. Where you can beat it is if you are comfortable with making modifications yourself & just need to buy the right parts. 

Yea, now that I know how to work a gun I sometimes wish I just bought a CZC or CGW gun off the start, but it's been a great experience learning how the gun works! Makes me feel very confident fixing any problems. I will have to make a trip out to Terre Haute for sure then!

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Where did you pre order from? I want to give one a try as well but no where around me has a clue how to get one......

True.  Since the Shadow 2 came out (and I haven't even seen a picture of one) I can't hit a thing with my Shadow OR my SP01.  If I could only fondle one (not even shoot it) I'd probably jump right up to M.  

Oh, the power of mythology...

Edited by teros135