Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To SBR or not to SBR.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/30/2016 at 8:21 AM, SpaceMan said:

The only downside to SBR would be if you shoot matches out of state. While I am not the most versed on the laws regarding it don't you have to file paperwork while transporting a nfa item to another state?

True.  You just send them a form.  It is easy.  I do it all the time for SBR and FA stuff.  Suppressors don't require any paperwork at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Word to the wise--much of the information on the internet regarding state laws that restrict possession of NFA weapons is outdated or just plain inaccurate.  Don't try to bring your SBR into Iowa on a Form 20, for example, just because you found an NFA chart on some website that has Iowa pictured as a green state.  

Thank you Mike.  I really appreciate that.  The more I shoot my carbine even on tight stages the less I see any appreciable advantage to an SBR.  Certainly not enough to deal with the challenges with resale and the other troubles, however large or small of owning a SBR.  It just doesn't make sense for me with my proclivity for shooting in multiple states with different and constantly changing laws.  That is just me though.  It may well be the bomb for others.    

21 hours ago, Neomet said:

Thank you Mike.  I really appreciate that.  The more I shoot my carbine even on tight stages the less I see any appreciable advantage to an SBR.  Certainly not enough to deal with the challenges with resale and the other troubles, however large or small of owning a SBR.  It just doesn't make sense for me with my proclivity for shooting in multiple states with different and constantly changing laws.  That is just me though.  It may well be the bomb for others.    

Makes sense to me, Rick.  I'm not convinced it's a huge deal either way.  

I thought SBR was going to be a must when I started building my PCC but after a couple months practice with a 16" I'm not feeling held back by the barrel length. But, once PCC two gun matches develop I may want to SBR just to keep my loads the same. 

On 1/24/2017 at 8:55 AM, rowdyb said:

If a stamp didn't take 7-11 months I'd SBR for sure my PCC competition gun.

Man I love my SBR even though it is really is not PCC legal yet It is so much fun to shoot. but the stamp should be here around April or so. I did remove the front grip for now.

Edited by usmc1974
19 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

Man I love my SBR even though it is really is not PCC legal yet It is so much fun to shoot. but the stamp should be here around April or so. I did remove the front grip for now.

coda%20gun%20002_zpsffszckgr.jpg

Just out of curiosity, are you even allowed to possess it without the stamp?

On 1/23/2017 at 7:28 AM, bmiller said:

If I have a registered SBR lower,and a match comes up that I want to shoot in a short time frame, can I swap a 16" upper on it and cross state lines without filing paperwork?  

No it is still a registered Nfa firearm. 

48 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

looks like that's a brace, not a stock, so he's probably in a "pistol" configuration legally.

I think he was talking about the clearly-attached (and clearly demonstrating a felony) vertical foregrip seen in the picture (that's enough for probable cause for a federal warrant).

Edit: see below

Edited by mreed911
17 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

I think he was talking about the clearly-attached (and clearly demonstrating a felony) vertical foregrip seen in the picture (that's enough for probable cause for a federal warrant).

If the pistol is over 26" OAL, he's likely okay. 

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Just out of curiosity, are you even allowed to possess it without the stamp?

sure it is a pistol with a shock wave pistol cheek or forearm rest. that comes with a letter from the ATF. When the stamp get to me I will put the rifle stock and foregrip back on it for  SBR. to shoot USPSA  PCC class. looks like this just to be safe/legal.

dakota%20glock2%20002_zps4hw6bb3j.jpg

Edited by usmc1974
1 hour ago, usmc1974 said:

sure it is a pistol with a shock wave pistol cheek or forearm rest. that comes with a letter from the ATF. When the stamp get to me I will put the rifle stock and foregrip back on it for  SBR. to shoot USPSA  PCC class. looks like this just to be safe/legal.

dakota%20glock2%20002_zps4hw6bb3j.jpg

Thanks. As I have been contemplating SBR I wondered just how much I could actually do until getting approved.