Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Storage Container Ideas?

38SuperDub

Sorry don't have any pics.  5 gal buckets from Lowes or Home Depot for dirty.  Clean in bigass ziplock bags.

Those cheap locking lid bins are a great idea.  One of these days I'll tear a bag, brass will roll under shelves while I cuss a lot, and I'll go buy them.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Since I haven't posted in the forum for about 2.5 years it's only appropriate the first post back is on this old post...

I use the kitty litter buckets for dirty brass...and occasionally cleaned brass. 

Once I start processing the brass, it goes into the big plastic Folgers cans so the batch size stays reasonable.

Loaded rounds go into the plastic ammo cans from Academy.

Brass come into garage into 5 gallon bucket. Once its filled goes though sorter trays and magnet then 6 qt plastic clip top boxes. Once one is filled I we tumble and dry then into a clean 6 qt clip top box. Labeled by round and shot count/rifle used for rifle other than 223. Once loaded put in 50 round ammo boxes and put in 50 cal ammo cans.

I've tried a number of different options including a couple mentioned in this thread. Not sure what is really the best answer though...

I'm with many other in that I bring mixed brass home in 5 gal buckets. Sort once filled. Have a bunch of the kitty litter buckets for .223 brass mostly.

Various other containers for 9mm, .38Super/SC, .40, .45, .308, .44 Mag/Spec, etc....

Brass come into garage into 5 gallon bucket. Once its filled goes though sorter trays and magnet then 6 qt plastic clip top boxes. Once one is filled I we tumble and dry then into a clean 6 qt clip top box. Labeled by round and shot count/rifle used for rifle other than 223. Once loaded put in 50 round ammo boxes and put in 50 cal ammo cans.
Hefty brand, sold at Lowe's.
The size works perfect for a couple things. The box fits perfect under Dillon 650 complete bin(cut a hole in it and bullets drop right in). A completely filled one is my exact fill mark for tumbler.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On 8/4/2019 at 4:16 PM, 2tuf4u said:

I use the square nut containers from Costco, Planters, etc. with the screw-on lids and label the 45 acp and 223 by headstamp--I don't headstamp sort 9mm or 40 S&W. Use label gun .

This is what I do. All dirty brass goes into a 5 gal bucket, all cleaned goes into the Costco containers. They stack nicely and I like being able to see how full they are.

I don't even reload yet, just stocking up on brass for when that day comes.

Loudgp, you and I use the same method for storage. 

Dirty brass comes home and gets sorted, put in the bins like whats in the post above marked "DIRTY" and caliber. As they get deprimed and tumbled they go into a clean bin marked by caliber.

• 2 months later...
On 8/14/2019 at 4:29 PM, Loudgp said:

Easy cheap and organized 

BE0CCA60-0D7F-4A9A-A2D5-5B0E8F7249A5.jpeg

What brand container are these with the curved latches?  I'm using the sterilites I posted pics page 1 but the latches wear out over time so have been thinking of changing up the system.  I see you also have a lone purple latch sterilite on the bottom shelf, would you say the blue curved handle containers are sturdier?

EDIT I think I found them on Amazon, they are also the Sterilite brand?  Still interested in how the compare to the purple latch version if you can advise...thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-Through-Storage-Stadium-Latching/dp/B01NAOI1A9/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=storage+container+curved+handle&qid=1573269060&sr=8-5

Edited by 78Staff
added link

Mine is not nearly as organized as this^^^^^^.  I've got two 5 gallon buckets of brass that needs to be cleaned and two 5 gallon buckets of cleaned/polished brass that is ready to load.  I finally did invest in those colored brass sorters and make sure that only 9mm brass makes it into my cleaned buckets.  A 40S&W case will throw a heck of a kink in my 1050 when loading 9mm.  

You have any horse owning friends ? maybe other livestock as well. 
See that square bucket pic above ? Lots of feed minerals, elytes, vitamin supplements come in buckets like that with a hinged lid,  Not quite as sturdy as a regular 5 gallon bucket but better than those clear shoebox type bins.
Plus FREE if you find a supply,

14 hours ago, 78Staff said:

What brand container are these with the curved latches?  I'm using the sterilites I posted pics page 1 but the latches wear out over time so have been thinking of changing up the system.  I see you also have a lone purple latch sterilite on the bottom shelf, would you say the blue curved handle containers are sturdier?

EDIT I think I found them on Amazon, they are also the Sterilite brand?  Still interested in how the compare to the purple latch version if you can advise...thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-Through-Storage-Stadium-Latching/dp/B01NAOI1A9/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=storage+container+curved+handle&qid=1573269060&sr=8-5

They are much nicer than most.. handle weight and easy to open and close.  The purple was one hanging around and got used.   

7 hours ago, m700 said:

I've been using them for a decade. The only thing that makes me have to buy more is the wife stealing them459ed9b28ea97bd9dfa98327904d09d4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I like these clear containers. It makes easier in identifying the contents I.e. caliber etc.

Edited by George16

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 4:33 PM, rstandley said:

Plastic coffee containers for the cleaned brass.

+1. And you can note on the top lid with a Sharpie whether it is tumbled, sized & belled, or sized/belled/primed. A plastic coffee can will hold over 600 rounds of 9mm... a bit less with other calibers. Makes sorting brass for reloading easy.

Lots of 5 gal buckets.  Color coding and labels helps.

Green (Menards) = 9x19

Blue (Lowes) =.38 Special

Orange (Home Depot) = .40 SW

Red (Harbor Freight) = .45 ACP

Yellow (Big R) = 5.56

White (?) = .308 and 6.5 CR