Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not happy with BladeTech mag pouches for 2011

yosturm

I recently purchased the Bladetech Pro series competition mag pouches for 2011 mags and am not happy with how they hold the magazines.  Two of the three don't seem to be able to get tight enough to hold the mag sufficiently.  Upon close inspection, the one that does hold the mag well seems to be cut a little higher then the other two.  The question is, is that one different and just happens to work or are the other two defective? 

You can see from the below image that the mag holder on the left is long enough to cover the magazine catch hole where as the one on the right (one that I am having retention issues with) is shorter.

Either way, should I look at another brand of mag holder for good retention for 3-gun?

4Qdb

Edited to add image

Edited by yosturm
Add image

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of years ago I purchased 5 single stack mag pouches from them, and each was a bit different. They attributed it to the hand built nature of the kydex line. It was annoying but I kept the 2 I was happy with and exchanged 3. Of the three replacements, I kept 2 and exchanged one. It took awhile, but blade tech worked with me until I was satisfied.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ordered some Bladetechs for my MBX
Mags and they did not fit. The item description even said fits most double stack magazines so it was a risk. They were cheap enough as they were on sale with tekloks. I kept the tekloks to use on a set of custom Kydex mag pouches from a local gun show. Perfect fit. Even got them in the color I wanted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2016 at 9:53 PM, yosturm said:

I recently purchased the Bladetech Pro series competition mag pouches for 2011 mags and am not happy with how they hold the magazines.  Two of the three don't seem to be able to get tight enough to hold the mag sufficiently.  Upon close inspection, the one that does hold the mag well seems to be cut a little higher then the other two.  The question is, is that one different and just happens to work or are the other two defective? 

You can see from the below image that the mag holder on the left is long enough to cover the magazine catch hole where as the one on the right (one that I am having retention issues with) is shorter.

Either way, should I look at another brand of mag holder for good retention for 3-gun?

4Qdb

Edited to add image

They are hand made and do vary.  I have a dozen or so of them and see the same thing you're seeing.  I use the shallow ones for USPSA and deep ones for 3-gun.

Contact BladeTech they will swap them out or send you deeper ones.

• 2 weeks later...

A little late here but I ended up returning them and purchasing Comp Tac pouches.  I lost the ability to pivot them to different angles, but since I run mostly 3 gun and there is a lot on the belt, it probably wont be as much or an issue.

More importantly, how does Jesse Tischauser only have 16 posts?

Edited by yosturm

On 1/27/2017 at 7:34 AM, Todd7446 said:

I'd suggest taking a look at Weber Tactical for kydex 2011 mag pouches.

I used bladetech forever until they finally cracked from years of abuse. Decided to give weber tactical a try. The double layered kydex will take much more abuse for many years to come.