Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Eagle vs. STI Edge

Gomar83

I am new to shooting USPSA Limited I am currently using a S&W M&P 40. I am looking for advice on the pro's and con's of the Edge vs. the Eagle (5.0 or 6.0) in .40 cal. I like to do my home work before investing and would greatly appreciate your advice.

i really like the eagle especially the 6.0 but they are hard to find used, and I'm not curtain what the wait time is on a new. i wish the eagle had adj. rear sight and fiber rod front from the factory. i know these can be changed.

Eagle is most commonly a bushing barrel, but available in a bull barrel (usually the bushing barrels are listed as 5.0, whilst the bull barrel models are listed as a 5.1).

Edge is bull barrel only.

The Eagle in bushing barrel is legal for IDPA - Edge or bull barreled Eagle is not.

All has to do with front weight.  A bull barreled gun will have a little more weight up front to tame recoil.  A long dust cover will have a little more again.  If I was buying new I'd pick an Edge every time, though I wouldn't feel too bad off with a bull barreled Eagle.  If it was a bushing barrel model though I'd personally pass on it.  

The 5 inch Edge is the standard for USPSA and will probably have a better resale value. You may want to consider CK Arms Thunder, better internal parts and finish in my opinion.

i would only buy a pistol with Bomar style rear sight and fiber optic front. Visit a local match and discuss with owners of both, you will see way more Edge models than Eagles.

My choice was an Eagle in .45 for Limited 10 and 3 gun. Since I can get 17 rounds in a MBX mag, it has proven useful on plate racks and the nemesis of my shooting life, the spinner. I prefer the weight distribution the Eagle has. Certainly you will need the F/O front sight and a good magwell.

For me, its a personal preference. I like the look of the Edge, but the bushing barreled Eagle does have the advantage for better accuracy with a match bushing. Either way your probably going to want to upgrade either purchase pretty soon. If you do your own smithing, you can save a couple bucks. If not, you may want to research a semi custom Edge or Eagle. Eventually you'll do that anyway and it's worth the wait if you can't do your own smith work.

Hello: The best of both worlds is an Eagle with a bushing and bull barrel setup. Use the bushing barrel setup for IDPA or Steel Challenge. Use the bull barrel with tungsten guide rod for USPSA Limited. It is funny that people lighten the Edge slide to be about the same weight as the Eagle slide. They tri-top the Edge slide and add holes in the slide at the front making it about the same as the Eagle slide. Thanks, Eric

49 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: The best of both worlds is an Eagle with a bushing and bull barrel setup. Use the bushing barrel setup for IDPA or Steel Challenge. Use the bull barrel with tungsten guide rod for USPSA Limited. It is funny that people lighten the Edge slide to be about the same weight as the Eagle slide. They tri-top the Edge slide and add holes in the slide at the front making it about the same as the Eagle slide. Thanks, Eric

C'mon, Eric! You're undercutting our argument for the need of a second gun. Remember what time of year it is! Jeez!

16 minutes ago, Distant Thunder said:

C'mon, Eric! You're undercutting our argument for the need of a second gun. Remember what time of year it is! Jeez!

Hello: I would never undercut the need for another gun. I just ordered a bunch of stuff to build up 2 more PCC uppers and a new Open build for me next year. I have both a Edge type pistol I built and a Eagle type one I built as well. I like the Eagle type one better with the bull barrel and tungston guide rod. It transitions better for me than a full weight Edge does. Like I said shoot both if you can with major loads. Thanks, Eric

I have both, If you are looking for Limited Gun the Edge is the better choice if both are 5" guns. I cant say about the 6" Eagles I have never shot one. I use my bushing barrel Eagle for IDPA. I did not like switching platforms so I shoot a 2011 for everything. My Eagle is very accurate and being a 40 it can be used as a backup Limited gun and shooting minor for ESP it is super soft shooting. There are several choices for full dust cover Limited guns, stock Edge, Brazos tuned Edge, semi custom CK guns, or a used full custom.

Buying and Edge and upgrading is the option a lot of us have taken, that way when you decide to build a full custom you will know more about how you want to build it.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Edge as a backup for my Brazos.  When the Brazos SC wearsh out, I'm shooting the Edge exclusively for USPSA.

As Woodsk mentioned, if not shooting IDPA, I'd go Edge without hesitation.

Plus, it freakin looks so cool compared to a slim dust cover.