Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Stock II light Strikes

ARMAGEDON

Hi there everyone.   I recently changed from polymer to a Tanfo Stock II which i love.   I bought a lot of parts and i also paid a gunsmith to polish the internal parts.   He installed the 14lb hammer spring.    Since he installed that spring i'm getting a lot of light strikes.   I change my primers to Federal but i'm still getting light strikes specially with the double action.  Someone told me to buy the extended firing pin from Henning and someone told me to cut 3 coils from the firing pin spring.   I'm desperate.   You may have alreay answered this question.   I know i'm not the only one with this problem.

Please help and thanks

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup. need to know your parts. Don't buy the extended Firing pin. I am using a polished Stock FP with a bolo disco , titan hammer and a 13 pound Wolff hammer spring with a decent polishing job and it has been 100% reliable with Feds 200, 100 and winchester primers. Will switch to a 13 pound PD hammer spring when I take the gun apart. 

Edited by bulm540

Also, check out "A typical patriot defense optimized tanfo" thread. Lots of answers in there.

But I'm willing to be you have a tight chamber/throat. A 14# spring should eat federal all day every day and twice on sunday

Edited by ryridesmotox

Armagedon,  First.... welcome ! :)

Next, take out the barrel and drop in a live round. Tap it hard with your finger several times. It should fall out when turned over. Repeat but try spinning tge round. Should spin easily.  try a dozen random rounds, all should pass. If not, the ream needs to be done.  if that passed, inspect your primers. (Do this anyway!) They should be 0.005 - 0.008" below flush as measured with caliper. Use the part that slides out, press the round up into it until the case is flush.  Finally, read up on how to polish. buy a tool and do it yourself.  No knock on the gunsmith, but to do it RIGHT takes a bit of time and I doubt you paid for that.  If you did.... ouch.  Last, contact Patriot Defense and buy a full set of springs especially the firing pin return spring.  If you can't do the work yourself, don't panic. PM ARy or contact Joe at Patriot and they will do it RIGHT.

Thanks guys.   Wow what a rapid response.   Amazing and thanks.

This are the parts that are on my gun right now.    Also i send the barrel to Grams Engineering so he can work the barrel.   I'm waiting for the barrel to arrive:

• 1 x EGD Xtreme EAA / Tanfoglio Witness Titan Hammer by Eric Grauffel
  • 1 x EGD Xtreme EAA / Tanfoglio Witness Guide Rod by Eric Grauffel 
    (Length: Standard (3.8"))
  • 1 x EAA / Tanfoglio Recoil Spring & Firing Pin Spring for Fullsize models by Wolff 
    (Weight: 10lb - Fullsize)
  • 1 x EAA / Tanfoglio Witness Trigger Spring (3.3)
  • 1 x Xtreme EAA / Tanfoglio Witness Sear
  • 1 x EAA / Tanfoglio Witness Reduced Weight Hammer Spring by Patriot Defense 
    (Patriot Defense Hammer Spring: 14LB)
    (Patriot Defense Hammer Spring: 13LB)

The extended firing pin block is required with the one piece sear. Otherwise 4th block will not block the pin. The two piece sear interacts with the block differently. 

You need to send the barge into Bevin Grams to have it reamed. That will be the end of light strikes.

Edited by ryridesmotox

IMG_2197.JPG

LEFT: Factory firing pin block which only works with the factory two-piece sear.

RIGHT: The extended firing pin block (Xtreme) which only functions with the one-piece sear.

There is approximately a .030" difference in height as measured here, if you're not sure which one you have:

IMG_2708.JPGIMG_2706.JPG

If your firing pin isn't clearing, you'll probably see peening on it here, like I did before I filed down the Xteme FPB until contact disappeared.

IMG_2707.JPG

The easiest way to see if the problem is the FPB is to take it out and go shoot the gun. Hopefully your light strikes disappear.

My gun still had light strikes last time I shot it. I'll be removing in on my next trip to the range if they haven't disappeared.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, ARy said:

You need the Optimized firing pin spring. The one you're running is the length of an aircraft carrier, and the compression rate is garbage. 

Are you sure you have the extended firing pin block? Just because it's polished doesn't mean it's the extended version. 

Yes i have it.   That is one of the first parts that my gunsmith other for me.  It was a must.   I have the original in the box where the gun came and the extended is installed.    But the only part i'm missing is the Tanfoglio Optimized Firing Pin Spring which i ordered 30 minutes ago from PD.    Also my barrel is in the hands of Bevem Grams since yesterday.   Once the barrel is back and the Optimized Firing Pin Spring i will go back to the range.   Thanks everyone

Impossible! The gun clearly needs more parts thrown at it! It can't be the ammo. More widgets is the answer!

Ahem.

If I had a dime for every time I diagnosed a poorly running diesel truck due to fuel contamination issues, after it's owner had thrown $3,000 worth of parts at the problem...

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Here's my goof ball fix..........I have an allen head wrench in the adjustment head.  The "long" part on the "L" if you will.  The Short leg of the "L" is pointing at the knob of the powder measure to a certain point marked with a permanent marker.  I eye ball it before I load.  Sounds stupid but it works.

Along with the holes in the hammer and sear for their pivot pins. And the hole in the frame for the hammer spring. 

Going back in and hitting every pin and every hole meticulously took almost 1.0 / 0.5 lbs off my trigger pull weights. Which means more importantly that things moved more easily.

Which means there's less force lost to friction when the hammer is sent forward to strike. That's what I was really after.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 4:10 PM, ARMAGEDON said:

Thanks guys.   Wow what a rapid response.   Amazing and thanks.

This are the parts that are on my gun right now.    Also i send the barrel to Grams Engineering so he can work the barrel.   I'm waiting for the barrel to arrive:

• 1 x EGD Xtreme EAA / Tanfoglio Witness Titan Hammer by Eric Grauffel
  • 1 x EGD Xtreme EAA / Tanfoglio Witness Guide Rod by Eric Grauffel 
    (Length: Standard (3.8"))
  • 1 x EAA / Tanfoglio Recoil Spring & Firing Pin Spring for Fullsize models by Wolff 
    (Weight: 10lb - Fullsize)
  • 1 x EAA / Tanfoglio Witness Trigger Spring (3.3)
  • 1 x Xtreme EAA / Tanfoglio Witness Sear
    (Patriot Defense Hammer Spring: 14LB)
    (Patriot Defense Hammer Spring: 13LB)

Definitely use the OEM pin or the PD pin. This is what kept happening to mine when i had the Henning Gen III installed. Pin kept getting caught in the FPB and firing pin retainer kept falling off. With the help of ARy was able to get it up and running 100% again.

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 1.22.25 AM.png

Thanks.   I recently bought the new extended firing pin from PD and the short spring from them.   I was having way less light strikes with the 14lb hammer spring from PD but still having a few light strikes.   Using reloaded ammo using Federal and Winchester primers.

I just changed it to the 13lb from Wolff and finally is shooting a 100%.   Even do is 13lb it hits harder than the 14lb from PD in my opinion.   I'm no expert but that is my experience

Edited by ARMAGEDON