Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mod 2

reddawg

I used Springer for the trigger, springs, guide rod, extended mag release, etc... and shooters connection for the belt, holster, pouches.  Can't help ya with the barrel as she uses the one that came in it.  The mags for the Mod 2 are XD mags so any pouch that fits those works.  She uses a Comp-tac international for a holster but like I said hers is the 5 inch so not exactly sure for the service model.

I just got myself a xd mod 2 tactical 9mm.  The difference between my original xd tactical 9mm and the new mod 2 is that the mod 2 uses the full size guide rod and recoil spring as my xdm 4.5 and 5.25 which are the same.  Just finished a trigger job, bar stop barrel replacement, solid guide rod / recoil spring and sights.  Everything else is the same as far as internal parts go.

Edited by xd1977

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 10:55 PM, xd1977 said:

I just got myself a xd mod 2 tactical 9mm.  The difference between my original xd tactical 9mm and the new mod 2 is that the mod 2 uses the full size guide rod and recoil spring as my xdm 4.5 and 5.25 which are the same.  Just finished a trigger job, bar stop barrel replacement, solid guide rod / recoil spring and sights.  Everything else is the same as far as internal parts go.

Ok, after more research and tearing pistols down to see what fits what..here's what I've come up with, and I was wrong because yes; there are some differences.  The locking block on the xd mod 2 and the full size xdm pistols are NOT the same. The Mod 2 locking block sits down further in the frame of the pistol than the XD locking block and frame.  This will not interchange with the full size XD frame.  Also, the trigger and trigger safety on the XD mod 2 and the XDM's are the same.  They will not interchange with the XD frame because the trigger safety needs to be modified.  The trigger bar on the XD Mod 2 and the XDM's are the same, but the mod 2 does not have the disassembly bar installed.  This trigger bar will not interchange with the xd frame correctly.  And last but not least, the correct guide rod for the xd mod 2 is the same as for the XDM.  DO NOT try to run the xd's full length guide rod in the MOD 2!  As far as the sear, sear spring, ejector, striker safety lever and grip safety goes..they are compatible between the xd, xdm and MOD 2.

So here's what I've done to my Mod 2 tactical 9mm:  FRAME:  Left the Mod 2 locking block, gutted the frame and replaced the Mod 2 trigger with the XD Tactical Trigger and trigger bar.  I had to install the trigger safety from the MOD 2 trigger due to frame clearance on the XD Trigger.  The XD trigger safety was too short and would not properly engage on the MOD 2 frame.  Also removed the pre and overtravel stops for the XD Tactical trigger bar and installed in the MOD 2 frame.  Swapped Mod 2 sear and sear spring for the Springer Precision sear and sear spring that was in my XD Tactical.  Reinstalled pins on the frame.  Slide:  Replaced factory Mod 2 striker with PRP Striker and competition striker spring.  Replaced striker retainer pin with HD striker retainer roll pin.  Installed PRP titanium striker indicator with comp spring.  Installed a modified factory striker safety with a comp spring.  Replaced factory barrel and fitted a semi-fit bar-sto barrel and a XDM solid full length guide rod.  I also installed a .100 PRP magazine release for production division.

The reason I changed the XD tactical parts into the MOD 2 tactical was simply because of the trigger/trigger bar function, pull weight and feel.  It's just my opinion, but I think that the original XD Tactical's trigger is much better after modification than the XDM's (personal preference).  I know for a fact that the overall pull weight is lighter.  I have a crisp clean break between 1.8 lbs  and 2 lbs on this Mod 2 trigger combo with full functioning striker, trigger and grip safeties.  The reset is nice and short with very short overall trigger travel as well.  So far, after four USPSA matches in production, it has functioned flawlessly.  Keep in mind that this is strictly a competition pistol and will not be used for a carry gun.

All in all, the XD Mod 2 seems like a hybrid between the XD and XDM platforms.  The slide was left alone with the exception of the guide rod and guide rod spring.  The frame on the other hand was as described above; a little different.  I put a good bit of time in miking, test fitting and installing parts from one platform to the other.  It's a lot of trial and error.  I can tell you all one thing for sure though...this thing is FAST and runs better than most of the high end steel production guns out there with the DA/SA triggers to me.  I hope this little bit helps if you decide to mod your xd's.