Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thick 1911 grips?

tbarker13

Looking for recommendations on thick 1911 grips. Something with a lot of texture.

I've been using the 2011-style grips by Perman, but I can't seem to run them without cracking them. My current 1911 came with a set that was cracked. I replace them - and now that set is cracked. Maybe I'm just tightening them down too much.

However, I really like the way they fill up my hand. Maybe someone else has come across another option for shooters who don't like thin grips?

You might try the Hogue thick grips. They make them in both G10 and aluminum but I'm not sure how textured they are. Or you could try adding material to a set of standard grips. Or put some flat shims underneath standard grips

Edited by js1130146

I've found I prefer the Techwell G10 Aggressive Fat grips.  I've also got a set of the Hogue G10 aggressive Thick 1911 grips.  Both sets are solid G10 throughout.

The Techwell are just as thick as the Hogue but better contoured to my hands. The Hogue grips feel too "blocky" for me. The Techwell grips can be used with a Dawson magwell.  While they are cut inside the grip for a Techwell magwell, they can be used on any gun for any mainspring housing attached magwell.

http://techwearusa.com/product/grips-only-slotted-for-techwell-g10-suretec-fat-aggressive/

https://www.hogueinc.com/store/products/1911-govt-932-thick-piranha-grip-solid-black-g10/7053

Edited by JGus

17 hours ago, tbarker13 said:

Anyone know if that techwell grip will work with a Dawson Ice magwell? Or do you have to use the techwell magwell?

They should work fine as they are just normal grips with the cutouts on the back I use them with a Dawson IPSC magwell