Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 small primer

Gary Stevens

I could see the benefits for the 9/40/45 only shooter, but since I also shoot other LP calibers, I hate them lol.  Funny was at the range yesterday and a guy was picking up all the SP 45 he could find, he was happy as could be because no one else would pick them up.  Thankfully my swage rod on the 1050 will let me know if one sneaks into my batch of brass and I can pull it before things get loud.

Although, if I did go all SP 45 I suppose I could dedicate my 1050 to all SP runs, ie 9, 45, 223, and do the others on the 550...the idea has merit. But, I have several K of LP 45 brass.  Plus would have to start culling out LP from all my range pickups...yuck.

What 78Staff said.  I sold my 44 mag a couple years ago and now only load 9/40/45 so theoretically it would make sense to go 45 SPP and only buy one size primer.  But the sorting after match would suck. 

And so I agree.......45 SPP is the devil.

Whenever I'm tortured with a SP .45acp brass in my pile, I throw it into a bucket.  Some day, at a ripe old age, when I have a sufficiently large pile, I'll load them up.

21 hours ago, Steve RA said:

That all I use as then I only need one primer for 9mm, .45ACP and .223/5.56.  I use Tula SRM primers and hope they come back before I run out.

Steve, after getting over your breaking my heart with a positive statement about them... do you find that SRM's are necessary for the SP .45's?  I always use the Winchester primers that are labeled "for standard or magnum loads," so I'm supposing that there's merit to your idea.

I don't think they are necessary for the .45s or even 9mm (as I don't load to Major with the 9mm) but do for the rifle and so I use them for everything - with no problems.  Use 4.2 of Clays (Australian) with a 200gr LSWC for the .45 and 3.2 of same Clays with a 130gr LSWC for the 9mm.  I've only got 11K of them left so hope they come back in the not too far distant future.

At one time I had a boat load of small primer brass.  I shot some of it up and left it on the ground at lost brass matches.  Sometimes some LP got mixed in with the SP, and vice versa, and it was a pain.  So I gave all my SP brass away.

I just got done working up a load for my 230 cast/powder coated bullets. I did not find much differance between sp and lp primers. Maybe the faster powder helps? But the biggest problem is seperating them, which I need to do anyways. When I get lazy and don't want to change the 550 primer feed, I just pull out the spp brass and load them as a seperate type of round.

You can wait til you have 500 to 1000 SP brass in 45 and then convert your press and run them til you are done with them. That is what I am doing. don't quite have 1000 yet. I think that only makes sense if you reload and do not want to waste the brass. IMVHO

Mike

I think its funny when I try to load sp into lp cases I do it by hand and try three or four times before I figure it out.  Don't like the other way around.  I separate the brass and when I run out of lp casings I switch over to sp.

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually bought SP .45 brass (once) and would seriously consider switching over to it, since .45 is the only "LP" cartridge I load, and I load several SP ones...but most of the free .45 brass I pick up at the range is still LP.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2016 at 9:21 AM, 78Staff said:

I could see the benefits for the 9/40/45 only shooter, but since I also shoot other LP calibers, I hate them lol.  Funny was at the range yesterday and a guy was picking up all the SP 45 he could find, he was happy as could be because no one else would pick them up.  Thankfully my swage rod on the 1050 will let me know if one sneaks into my batch of brass and I can pull it before things get loud.

Although, if I did go all SP 45 I suppose I could dedicate my 1050 to all SP runs, ie 9, 45, 223, and do the others on the 550...the idea has merit. But, I have several K of LP 45 brass.  Plus would have to start culling out LP from all my range pickups...yuck.

Ran 1K of 45 the other day, had 3 SP pieces of brass in the mix - swage rod detected them easily and I was able to stop and pull out the offenders...  Still hate SP 45 brass though lol

• 1 month later...

I do like Wideload, sort them and give the  away.  I didn't know there was a small primer 45 case until I jammed one in my 650 when I started reloading!  

Does anybody know WHY they make the 45ACP in both primer sizes?  Seems kinda odd to me...

Think they went to them when the NT primers came out.  I'd think it would be easier for the ammo companies to just use one primer size.  Of course, there are a lot of other calibers that use LPs so might not help much.

1 hour ago, 57K said:

The test I ran was a comparison with a proven load and recorded in my chrono log. I made an identical load except that I loaded in cases with SPPs. The difference was great enough that I just don't think they're worth my time, YMMV. Ammo makers seem to look for shortcuts wherever they can find them these days. I rarely shoot indoors and I only shoot handloads. For the "green"  factory ammo that's made for indoor shooting, whatever, I can see some benefit there, I just don't need it.

Might be interesting to see what guys shooting bullseye are doing. If they've had the same results I have, I kinda doubt any of them are using SPPs in their match loads.

I think some have posted that they see no difference, but like you, I saw a definite drop in velocity comparing the exact same loads substituting SPP for LPP.  It's not the end of world though...you just have to bump up the powder charge a bit to compensate.  I keep both types of .45 brass, but hardly ever load SP.  If/when the next primer shortage hits though, I have the flexibility to load SP .45, at least for a while.  If the majority of the free .45 brass I got from range pickups was SP, I'd seriously consider switching to only loading SP.  .45 is the only LPP cartridge I load, so it would simplify things if I could just stop buying LPP.