Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 grip to silicon carbide for Production

screwj

Is it possible to add silicon carbide to the allowed grip area for Production division, but also smooth out the backstrap area to remove the teeth area? I know this might reduce the dimensions a bit, not sure if this is illegal.

Thanks

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Appendix D4

For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling

And 22.2 prohibited modifications

Grips – any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile or adds function such as beavertail or thumb rest. 

So if I read E4  correctly it would be allowed. With regards to smoothing out the back strap, if you took a dremel to it and then applied the carbide I reckon it would be hard to tell you did it.  It I've never applied carbide before. 

13 hours ago, Swanny10 said:

So if I read E4  correctly it would be allowed. With regards to smoothing out the back strap, if you took a dremel to it and then applied the carbide I reckon it would be hard to tell you did it.  It I've never applied carbide before. 

That's what I am thinking, but I wanted to see if anyone has done any silicon carbide to Production glocks at any major matches.

On 12/24/2016 at 1:10 PM, Swanny10 said:

It does add appreciable thickness to the gun. Doing both wood grips on my Stock 3 added about 1/8" to the overall width of the gun.

If you grind down until a checkered or factory stipples surface is smooth, it'll bed up about the same thickness that it was before.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I think that's his point. He wants to add grip but not add thickness. Just my impression. And for my dollar, tape is a big improvement over the factory knobbies on the back of the grip. I imagine carbide would be as well. 

The reason to smooth out the factory checkering is needed in my opinion if you want an evenly applied silicon carbide layer; the factory checkering may cause the layer to be uneven and will definitely make the backstrap even thicker.  The same would go for the finger grooves, so if I attempt it I would want to smooth out the front strap and back strap.  Unfortunately, I am from Kalifornia, so Gen4 through PPT is no longer allowed as I don't have a Gen4 frame.

In order to preserve the dimensions of the grip, my thought is to sand off around 2mm from all grip surfaces that will have silicon applied; 1mm layer for the JB Weld, 1mm layer for the silicon carbide.