Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 for .45 ACP?

bkrumme

I did a search but didn't find any real info on whether folks are using VV N320 with .45 ACP.  I know it's a safe powder for .45, but not seeing many reports of people using it.

Here's my situation.  I currently load .45 with 3.8gr VV N310 and it's a pretty awesome load.  Shoots soft and is accurate.  Smokes just a little with coated lead, but not too bad.  I also load lots of 9mm (minor) and I'm starting to get into .40S&W for USPSA Limited.  I load using Titegroup in 9mm which is pretty much the de-facto standard for minor and have some test loads for my new .40 using Titegroup as well.  From what I've been reading, though, N320 is pretty popular in both 9mm and .40S&W.  If there's a good load for .45 that feels good, I'd be highly motivated to use a single powder for all three calibers.

I'm not necessarily looking for load data because there are published loads for N320 and .45, though it would be appreciated.  I'm really looking for any experience folks have with N320 and .45 ACP as far as the feel of recoil and accuracy of the load.

I tested N320 loaded over 200 coated LSWC.

Loads from 4.0 to 5.0. My notes with all of them are remarked "poor".

N310, OTOH, is my main 45 Auto powder.

N320 is great in 9MM, however. Needs more pressure to run right.

My $0.03 worth, YMMV.

Edited by Taroman

I just tried it three weeks ago with both a 230 gr Blue Bullet and 200 grain Montana Gold. The velocities were no where near major as per the load data from VV. I gave what was left of the pound to my friend who shoots .40 limited in major. I would not use it for .45. I just tried some Nitro 100, and it looks very promising. I wish the 320 would have worked out, but I'm stuck with three powders for now, Clays and WST for .45 (depends on the temp), and Titegroup for .40 and 9MM for steel and 3 gun.

Oh, for my 147 Blue Bullets, one more powder, 800X.

I've shot a bit of .45auto over the past 15 years. I tried N320. It didn't give me the accuracy I desired. It's been a few years so I don't recall the loads I was trying, suffice it to say, it was so very unmemorable. So I went back to N310 and CLAYS. Both of those shoot wonderful. CLAYS is cheaper than N310 by a wide margin but I like them both.

I use N320 for my 9mm minor and 40S&W major loads, so I worked up a few loads in 45acp major loads.  It's ok, but I was getting extreme spreads of ~80fps, vs 35fps for Titegroup in 45acp major.  I'm getting ~40fps extreme spread in my 9mm minor loads.

Also, tried working up some soft 45acp target loads, but found N320 doesn't like to be loaded light - lots of unburned powder.  Titegroup and Clays worked much better for that.

10 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I've shot a bit of .45auto over the past 15 years. I tried N320. It didn't give me the accuracy I desired. It's been a few years so I don't recall the loads I was trying, suffice it to say, it was so very unmemorable. So I went back to N310 and CLAYS. Both of those shoot wonderful. CLAYS is cheaper than N310 by a wide margin but I like them both.

N310 is sweet in .45 and I have around 15lb of it so not a problem to just keep using that for a while.  Seems your experience is supporting what others have replied with already.

2 minutes ago, VanMan1961 said:

I use N320 for my 9mm minor and 40S&W major loads, so I worked up a few loads in 45acp major loads.  It's ok, but I was getting extreme spreads of ~80fps, vs 35fps for Titegroup in 45acp major.  I'm getting ~40fps extreme spread in my 9mm minor loads.

Also, tried working up some soft 45acp target loads, but found N320 doesn't like to be loaded light - lots of unburned powder.  Titegroup and Clays worked much better for that.

I have no problem just using what I already do in 9mm.  Titegroup is pretty sweet under a 147 BBI.  The jury is still out on .40 for me since I'm new to the caliber in general, but it seems both Titegroup and N320 are popular in .40 so I might already have what I need.  Not really a fan of TG in .45.  It was pretty snappy under a 230 BBI.

bkrumme,

When I'm testing a gun with my handloads in .45auto I usually run the 185g Zero JHP or LSHP with N310 or CLAYS. Both powders, with my loads (4.3g with JHP and 4.0g with LSHP), will shoot 10 shot groups at 50 yards in under 1.5" with regularity. If you run the JHP with 4.3g of N310 it is not only super soft shooting, but more accurate than most are able to capitalize on at ranges past 25 yards.

And since you have 15lbs of the N310 I'd just roll with that as it will work just fine. Besides, that's about 26k rounds of .45. :D

9 minutes ago, JoeC said:

bkrumme,

When I'm testing a gun with my handloads in .45auto I usually run the 185g Zero JHP or LSHP with N310 or CLAYS. Both powders, with my loads (4.3g with JHP and 4.0g with LSHP), will shoot 10 shot groups at 50 yards in under 1.5" with regularity. If you run the JHP with 4.3g of N310 it is not only super soft shooting, but more accurate than most are able to capitalize on at ranges past 25 yards.

And since you have 15lbs of the N310 I'd just roll with that as it will work just fine. Besides, that's about 26k rounds of .45. :D

26k rounds won't last me too long ;)

I haven't used it yet, but from what I've been reading, it seems 310 is better for 185-200 bullets, lighter bullseye loads, etc.  Wilson's reported test load is 4.5 310 over 200g LSWC as well.  N320 better for 230's and more power.  I have a lb of 320 but it's sitting unopened, as I have a ton of Clays and BE, which I always grab first.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 7:35 PM, bkrumme said:

I did a search but didn't find any real info on whether folks are using VV N320 with .45 ACP.  I know it's a safe powder for .45, but not seeing many reports of people using it.

Here's my situation.  I currently load .45 with 3.8gr VV N310 and it's a pretty awesome load.  Shoots soft and is accurate.  Smokes just a little with coated lead, but not too bad.  I also load lots of 9mm (minor) and I'm starting to get into .40S&W for USPSA Limited.  I load using Titegroup in 9mm which is pretty much the de-facto standard for minor and have some test loads for my new .40 using Titegroup as well.  From what I've been reading, though, N320 is pretty popular in both 9mm and .40S&W.  If there's a good load for .45 that feels good, I'd be highly motivated to use a single powder for all three calibers.

I'm not necessarily looking for load data because there are published loads for N320 and .45, though it would be appreciated.  I'm really looking for any experience folks have with N320 and .45 ACP as far as the feel of recoil and accuracy of the load.

Having loaded primarily 9mm with N320, decided to see how well it would work with some 200g SWC in the Springfield RO.  Worked up to 5.0g and this was my best group at 25yds off a bench.  Only produced 760fps for average; but was super soft.

Now have a jug of N310, so starting to work up a ladder to see if it will be as good since many claim it's one of the top powders for soft, accurate .45s.

N320SnS45ACP#2.jpg

I used to use N320 a lot for 45 Auto. I found it very accurate and very clean when loaded near max with good velocity and low SDs. I'd still be using it if it wasn't so much more expensive and hard to find. Lately WST is the powder that goes into my 45 Auto cases. I like it much better than I did Clays. Actually, if N320 was priced the same as WST I might pick it over N320. Hard to beat the accuracy I get with WST.

I used N310 for years for my bullseye loads.  IMO, it is worthless unless you are at the upper end of the range.  My most accurate load was 4.05gr under a 200gr LSWC.   That was good for 780fps in hot weather.  N310 is extremely temperature sensitive, and velocities drop off fast as it gets cooler.  WST and e3 are much better choices.  Both are just as accurate as N310, cost less and are easier to find.  

I haven't had those issues with N310.  Loading 3.8gr under a 230 has been pretty awesome and I haven't noticed temperature sensitivity.

My real goal with this question was to see if N320 was feasible as an "all in one" powder for 9mm, 40S&W, and .45 ACP.  .40S&W is the new caliber to me and I could load it with Titegroup but given my experience with TG in .45 I'm not sure it's going to be for me...then again given my experience with TG and 9mm maybe I'll like it.  I have a batch of test loads loaded and ready to chrono so we'll see how the Titegroup does.

I can run to a local shop that sells VV and likely find some N320.  The $30 or so for a pound won't break the bank and at least then I'll know whether it will work across the board.  If all else fails, I'll have a powder that is a known good powder for 9mm and .40 S&W and I'll just keep TG, N310 and N320 around unless TG in .40 works well.

VV powders run $44/lb around me.  If you want one powder to load your three cartridges, look no further than Alliant e3.  It is stunningly good in 40; always giving single digit SDs.  It's terrific in 45 as well, and gives SDs about half of what N310 returns.  I don't reload 9mm (yet), but those that do report e3 works well there also, assuming a minor load.

I only use N-320, I have other powers but I use it in 9mm, 40cal and 45. I use 147 grain in 9mm, 135,180 in 40 and 185 and 240 in 45cal. The power burns clean and bullets are accurate in all weights that I use.  N320 and Clays are very similar. Cost if purchased online through Powder Valley or some others is around $110 for 4lbs, loads are normally lower in grains than other powers making the usage of this power approximately the same as others due to the smaller amounts used. There is a lot of information about different bullets and weights used for each on these and other sites. I use zero bullets. They can be purchased directly from manufacturer or I believe through Power Valley also. The manufacturer doesn't charge shipping.

Edited by DRider8
Needed to add additional information

I'm working up loads for 45ACP now. VV320 is performing well. It's reputed to perform well in the cold and seems to burn clean. I loaded a hundred of 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 each. Will see how they shoot and chrono. It's grouping well shooting offhand and the recoil feels nice. Will report back with more.

Seems like N320 in .45 might be a bit less economical than the N310 I'm already using, even if it does work well.  At 5.2gr under a 230, that's around 1350 rounds per lb.  With N310, I'm getting 1840/lb.  An extra 2000 rounds out of a 4lb jug is nothing to sneeze at.

I also seem to have found a .40 load using Titegroup that is EXTREMELY accurate, makes power factor, and feels pretty good.  Loaded 3.8gr under a BBI 200gr at 1.20 OAL and the velocities across a 10rd test group were all within 5FPS...I'd say that's pretty darn good.

I'm still grateful for the replies and look forward to more input.  Nothing saying I won't change things up in the future and maybe someone else can learn from this also.

• 1 year later...
On 12/31/2016 at 8:14 PM, LabMan said:

I'm working up loads for 45ACP now. VV320 is performing well. It's reputed to perform well in the cold and seems to burn clean. I loaded a hundred of 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 each. Will see how they shoot and chrono. It's grouping well shooting offhand and the recoil feels nice. Will report back with more.

How did the 5.0, 5.1, and 5.2 work out?

Recently, I've been loading H&N 230gr plated RN over 5.0gr N320. Haven't had a chance to chrono, but Vihtavuori tables suggest it should make Major. Quite happy with results. I suspect N310 would leave even less soot in the gun.

Also tried 200gr hard cast Lead SWC over 5.1 and 5.2 gr N320. Worked fine but those waxed lead bullets are messy.

I had the good results at 5.2 grs of n-320 using a Magnus cast swc 200 gr.  Still have a bunch loaded just don't to shoot because they are so dirty compared to coated bullets. N-320 seemed to shoot best on the top end for me with these bullets. This load was shooting around 800 fps out of my 1911.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...