Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just curious... What OAL do you load your 147gr? 1.100" too short? (Glock 17)

taymag

I wouldn't say I am an amazing shot so I have always got decent results with 1.100 but I can't be sure I am getting the best results I can. I got bored and did a search and was surprised that no one is really loading that short.

I know I could load up some 1.140+ to test out but with a G17 what do you guys load to? I am shooting 3.5gr N320 coated cast at around 950fps

Loading shorter doesn't really hurt anything but doesn't help either, if the mags & barrel can accommodate longer. It's a common paradigm to load as long as possible, other than giving a bit more margin for error on powder chargers, I don't know why you have to load longer.

Find your max oal with the plunk test, back it off about .005 and work your powder back up.

I ran Bayou 147's at 1.135 in my G19 & 34. Now I'm shooting a Stock 2 that would only let me load to 1.10" so it was a requirement to go shorter.

44 minutes ago, 57K said:

Unless they've changed recently, Glock 9mms will take loads longer than what will fit in the magazine. Very long throated and that's a good thing, IMO. One thing to keep in mind and confirm with your chronograph is that if you lengthen the load enough, pressure and velocity will lower. You will likely need to increase your powder charge. I load Hornady 147 gr. XTPs from 1.142"/29mm to 1.161"/29.5mm depending on the powder used. With a powder like N320 and a poly-coated bullet you wwon't need to increase the charge by much to stay at 950 FPS. Maybe .1 gr. and I very much doubt more then .2 gr. if that.

Like SCTaylor mentioned, it's always a good idea to do the "plunk" test for any bullet. Very easy with jacketed in 9mm and with the polycoated, set OACL to 1.170" which is .001" longer than SAAMI spec and decrease OACL in .005" until you hear that good audible "plunk." Lengthening loads cuts down on bullet "jump" from the case to the rifling in the barrel. In this case with the long throat of the Glock, you might just want to look at 1.161"/29.5mm and confirm that it's not too long for the magazine. That just happens to also be the SAAMI recommend Max. OACL for the 9 x 21mm.

Good info. Loaded some up and I wasn't able to go as long as I thought but I am bumping up at least a little. 1.142" looks familiar, I think that's someones factory info (maybe for N320?) but I remember that wasn't working for me

I load 2 different 147's to 1.10 with good results. The Zero 147 JHP and the Precision Delta 147 FMJ-TC.  I load for several different guns. 4.0 grains of WSF and a CCI primer.

This load works well in all of them.

In my load development, I tried several COAL.  While conventional wisdom would say go with the longest COAL. When I went just a little shorter my results became much more consistent. Let the target and Chrono guide you. 

It depends on the bullet/profile.  With coated bullets, I like to minimize the amount of bearing surface above the case mouth.  Some guns have a tendency to cut the coating during chambering if too much is exposed/unprotected.  

With Bayou's 147gr FP profile with a lube groove, I load out to around 1.14x".  I just got my first batch of 147gr FP NLG bullets from H&S.  To get minimal exposed bearing surface, I've been loading these to 1.005", which did seem kind of awfully short.    I've only loaded a small test batch of these so far...and based on chronograph results, may drop the powder charge 0.1gr relative to what I use for the older style 147s.

I shoot 147 Bayou's now because in my guns, 1911. 2011. Sig 226 and glock 34 they shoot the best and I can load them all at 1.135 they work in everything.

i.e. one load for all the guns simplifies things for me.

The 2011, 1911's will take longer loads but they don't seem to accomplish anything longer, i.e. feed better, more accurate etc.

I've found BBI 147's have to be loaded shorter because of a different ogive on the the bullet.

So test your bullet in your guns and go from there

3.4 N320,  147 Bayou, WSP primers, 1.140-1.145 OAL.     Runs great and makes 129-134 pf (depending on which gun)  in half a dozen Glocks,

2 CZ's , 2 1911's and a M&P Pro.  Nice to have one load for all 9 minor. Heck--it will even run in 3 2011 Major 9 open guns without any changes,

as well as a AR style PCC.

On 12/27/2016 at 0:47 PM, pbairborne said:

Seems that I'm loading a bit shorter than most. For my G34 and G17, I load Precision 147's, Eggleston 147's, and Acme 145 and 147's all to 1.125. I've been doing this for years and am happy with the accuracy.

We have been loading our 147's to this also. G17, 19, 34.

gerritm

On 12/27/2016 at 1:47 PM, pbairborne said:

Seems that I'm loading a bit shorter than most. For my G34 and G17, I load Precision 147's, Eggleston 147's, and Acme 145 and 147's all to 1.125. I've been doing this for years and am happy with the accuracy.

Round nose or flat point?

10 hours ago, taymag said:

Round nose or flat point?

Round nose  147gr Xtreme plated HP, 147gr Blue Bullets round nose, & PD 147gr JHP. All at the same OAL 1.12-1.13.  We shoot them in our Glocks & his STI DVC 3-gun. Very soft accurate load with 3.2grs of Titegroup.

gerritm

Match load for GSSF is MG 147fmj over 3.6g N320 @ 1.142.  Works excellent in our 2 G17s and a G34.

Drop to 3.3g for coated lead.

I use those same recipes, OAL 1.132 to 1.142. I found very little chrono differences in this range. I keep it simple and use 1.135.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Red Ryder said:

I use those same recipes, OAL 1.132 to 1.142. I found very little chrono differences in this range. I keep it simple and use 1.135.

Forgot to check back in after posting this hah. Anyway, after seeing all the 1.130-1.142 posts I decided to try and figure out what the hell was going on.. When I setup my new dies apparently I wasn't taking enough of the bell out, so the rounds were not plunking, which is why my OAL issue was driving me crazy thinking I had to load so short, which I knew was wrong since I have a Glock barrel. There was a veryyyy fine line of closing the bell, not leaving a crimp mark or smashing the bullet .001 or so (apparently I just got lucky setting up my dies before on my other press, cause everything was perfect). Ran 300 rounds or so with the 3.3-3.4gr N320 at 1.135" recipe and everything seems to finally be perfect, cycled good and felt good

Thanks again for the help. This forum defiantly blows the others out of the water in the reloading section, not sure why it took so long to make it over here after seeing the mention on other forums for years

Edited by taymag

On 12/27/2016 at 0:47 PM, pbairborne said:

Good answer, here. 

Plunk a loaded round into your barrel, then turn it to ensure that you are not contacting the lands.

If you happen to load a bunch of ammo that is too long it's no big deal to go back and re-seat and re-crimp them to the length you want.

Forgot to check back in after posting this hah. Anyway, after seeing all the 1.130-1.142 posts I decided to try and figure out what the hell was going on.. When I setup my new dies apparently I wasn't taking enough of the bell out, so the rounds were not plunking, which is why my OAL issue was driving me crazy thinking I had to load so short, which I knew was wrong since I have a Glock barrel. There was a veryyyy fine line of closing the bell, not leaving a crimp mark or smashing the bullet .001 or so (apparently I just got lucky setting up my dies before on my other press, cause everything was perfect). Ran 300 rounds or so with the 3.3-3.4gr N320 at 1.135" recipe and everything seems to finally be perfect, cycled good and felt good

Thanks again for the help. This forum defiantly blows the others out of the water in the reloading section, not sure why it took so long to make it over here after seeing the mention on other forums for years

I am wondering about your reloading skills, so here is the best practice. Using digital calipers, the finished case should measure .376 to .379 at the very top of the rim. Less means your crimping. More and your round won't case gauge well. The goal is to remove the bell and avoid crimping. If I remember correctly, spec is .380. Glocks have sloppy barrels and may even feed up to .382. So barrel checking is preferred by some shooters. Some barrels are tighter than others. This becomes really important if you're using coated or plated Bullets. A tight crimp could cause the coating to scrape off negating its benefits and can even cause bullet tumbling issues. FMJ bullets are a tad bit more forgiving with a tighter crimp. Good luck.