Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34/G35 vs XDm vs M&Pro

akeefer

Hey gang,

If I wanted to get into the world of polymer again. Can you give some thoughts to this age old argument again? I can shoot Glock, but something just doesn't feel right in the hand with it. I do like the XDm feel, but worried why they are seemingly less popular. I have a shop close by that I can get a ZEV trigger if I choose the Glock or a PRP trigger if I choose an XDm. 

I would probably look for a .40, as I reload that often and I have a lot of supplies for it. Also, I reload lasercast lead, so maybe I would have the replace the barrel on the Glock to be safe with that?

I shoot a 1911 the best, but want double stack and money is too tight right now for the world of 2011. 

I know this has been hashed out before, but haven't seen many recent threads. Any thoughts would be appreciated! 

You know this really is beating a dead horse.. again and again.  All three of them are good guns, and all three of them have their quirks.  Pick the one that fits you the best, which may or may not include the 'best' trigger, and just shoot it.  Heck, you may change your mind in a year too.

Currently running a G34/41. Have run XD/XDm, and a junior son ran the M&P Pro 9L that I shot a bunch. Personally do not get a good fit with the M&P. 

Get a G35 -- you can always get a conversion barrel and shoot 9 through it. They're stupid easy to work on too -- you shouldn't need a shop to do anything on a Glock.

Yes, you can work on a Glock all by yourself, but in the hands of a pro armorer, you'd be surprised how fantastic you can get those things shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, DreGarciaTAT2 said:

Yes, you can work on a Glock all by yourself, but in the hands of a pro armorer, you'd be surprised how fantastic you can get those things shooting.

What exactly do you think a "pro" armorer can do for the world's simplest handgun that a patient owner cannot?

What exactly do you think a "pro" armorer can do for the world's simplest handgun that a patient owner cannot?

Well, every single person who's ever shot my Glock is in awe at the trigger... which comes in right at 2.5# with a short, positive reset. And the stippling isn't just polymer that's been roughed up with a soldering iron, it actually was shaped for me, and is shaped in a way that increases the structural strength of the pistol, instead of making it more flimsy.
I always compare Glocks to Honda civics, cheap, easy to work on, and the aftermarket is huge. But anyone can throw together a bunch of stuff from the internet and 'improve' it. But in the hands of someone who does it for a living, and really knows exactly how to refine and tune it... the results are much more impressive, and result in a much higher level of performance.

2 hours ago, DreGarciaTAT2 said:

Well, every single person who's ever shot my Glock is in awe at the trigger... which comes in right at 2.5# with a short, positive reset. And the stippling isn't just polymer that's been roughed up with a soldering iron, it actually was shaped for me, and is shaped in a way that increases the structural strength of the pistol, instead of making it more flimsy.

Who did the work on your trigger and the grip stippling? And how did they make the stippling increase the strength of the frame?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Shoot them all and see what you like the best and go with that. I prefer the M&P. The Glock though has the biggest aftermarket support and following. I had my first up close experience with a Springfield (XDs) this week. The fit and finish of the internals was better than any Smith or Glock I've ever taken apart. That said, if I carried a Glock at work, I'd probably transition completely to that platform, I just can't get used to the transition back and forth from the difference in grip angle. Leatham beats most of us with an XD, Sevigney does it with a Glock and Miculek does it with an M&P, oh and Max does it with a Sig. They all have advantages, but, beware don't be surprised when all your plastic fantastics have over $1k invested in each.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Close enough. You can add a custom over travel stop of some sort, I did.

2.75 pounds and as clean / short as that gun will ever be.

But honestly just clean / lighten the trigger on whichever of these guns fits you the best and put 10k rounds through it will lots of practice. It's not a sexy answer, but a well skilled operator will shoot all of them the same with a decent trigger of any kind.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Who did the work on your trigger and the grip stippling? And how did they make the stippling increase the strength of the frame?

Glock Prazision... look them up on instagram. Also, the strengthening is a result of the pattern used... and opposed to random roughing up of the frame... I'll post an example

16 minutes ago, DreGarciaTAT2 said:

Glock Prazision... look them up on instagram. Also, the strengthening is a result of the pattern used... and opposed to random roughing up of the frame... I'll post an example

Thanks.  So how does the stippling increase the structural strength of the frame over a non stippled Glock?

And you work for them or are sponsored by them?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2017 at 3:58 PM, DreGarciaTAT2 said:

Incorrect. Triangular and diamond reshaping does just that if executed correctly

Do you have a link to the scientific testing performed on your frames that measured the increase in structural strength of the frame as a result of your stippling?

On 4/4/2017 at 6:58 PM, DreGarciaTAT2 said:

Incorrect. Triangular and diamond reshaping does just that if executed correctly

lol this is rich.