Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many reloads do you stock up?

nelson1each

Just recently got into loading with a 650...was hard to keep up with the amount my wife an I shoot using a 550. I'm thinking I should load like 5k and stay well stocked up so I can focus on other things rather then trying to keep up with loading. Just curious how many rounds you guys load and stock up on before I get to crazy playing with this 650 ?

I try to stay a few months ahead.  I don't like discovering at the last minute I don't have enough rounds and end up reloading when I should be practicing.

I also try to get ahead of the curve in the winter.  Here in the Texas Gulf Coast area our winters are not that bad but our summers can get pretty hot and humid.

Right now I have enough .223 and 12 gauge shells to last me the next 12 to 18 months.  I'm down to less than a month's worth of 9mm Minor (3 gun) and 9mm Major (USPSA) loads so I really should get busy.

Interesting thread - Seems most of us have a similar system.  I too, maintain about 3000 or so rounds of my "popular" ones, and about 500 apiece for the exotics. (45 win mag, etc)  Also, doing the majority of my reloading in the winter, when I'm shooting a bit less.   

I'm in Vegas so I take advantage of the 2 months of winter to load for the 10 months of summer. I'll do 4 50cal cans and 2 30s of my most used match calibers and then a 50 or 2 of the rarely used stuff. Honestly don't know how much it is, i don't count just load and dump em in. Trying to stay out of the 120 degree garage as much as possible

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I advise against loading too many ahead.  Just when you get ahead, something can change and you wind up with a less than desirable PF.  I only get about 1-2 k ahead at most.  Nothing sucks worse than finding out you have an issue with several thousand rounds you can't use.

I order components every month through out the year to keep pace to a 30K average. Then during the less than mild Michigan winter I load them so I can play all summer with out having to load every week or so.

I have recently purchased a MK 7 so my loading sessions are more productive and less stressful on my arm.

woof

I advise against loading too many ahead.  Just when you get ahead, something can change and you wind up with a less than desirable PF.  I only get about 1-2 k ahead at most.  Nothing sucks worse than finding out you have an issue with several thousand rounds you can't use.

Just curious as to what scenario that might be? competition PF don't really change unless you're referring to getting a different rifle/pistol with different length barrel thus getting an altered PF with the load that you've stocked up on?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience.... it seems like just when you get good and stocked up it's new barrel time.  Or worse, yet.  It just changes.  It's very common for people to run 6.8 grains of whatever for a long time and then, what seems like overnight you have to go to 7.0 grains... and then 7.1 and it just creeps up over time.  Every single person that I've talked to over the years that didn't make PF at a major match swears that they made major since however many years ago and nothing has changed.  Well, something has... and that's the reason I don't load too many ahead.   e.g., last year at Nationals.  I made Major without issue all summer and shipped 800 rounds to Nats.  Shortly thereafter I chrono'd those rounds at 165PF.  (my experience just told me it had been a bad idea to ship those rounds without a fresh chrono.)    Same everything that I had run at 170 all year. I shipped ANOTHER 800 rounds to Nats with a bump in powder and sure enough, made 170 with the new rounds.    

Edited by Glock26Toter

Well I loaded up 6k of 40. I chronod a batch every 2k rounds and everything checked out consistently. I suppose a back up plan if something were to change i.e. PF etc I would just have a bunch of practice rounds. I saw a shooting buddy not make chrono at this years Lim nationals and wouldn't wish this on anybody. If I ever go to nationals again I would probably make a fresh batch just for peace of mind. I sure love this 650 and am in the process of switching everything over and selling off my 550 stuff. ?

I load all winter long I have heat but no Ac in the garage. For minor pf should never be a problem making pf in any gun or barrel. When i got my backup limited gun it was -5 pf so had to up charge some for both guns.

I usually stock up based upon whichever component gets changed.  For example, I have a case of 9mm bullets coming in and will load about a 100 with my existing powder & primer batches and if all is well will go on to load the other 3,500 from that order or until I have to start with a new batch of primers or powders.  This reduces the possibility of introducing an unexpected problem due to a component change.