Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 986 warranty repair

pcschwenke

I just sent in my revolver to have the timing fixed and was wondering about how long typically repairs take.  The guns timing has been off since day one, the star on the cylinder is full of burrs, and accuracy wasn't what I hoped.  

What bullets are you using in yours?  I've tried 110, 115, 122, 125, and 147gr bullets so far ranging from .356-.358 diameter.  Best groups were with the heavies.  I only plan to shoot steel, and an occasional PPC  club matches.

3 hours ago, Round_Gun_Shooter said:

I believe the factory shuts down over the Holidays.  (at least they used to) so you will probably be looking at some longer than expected turn around time.  Customer Service can probably answer you better

To my knowledge they still do. More than likely will start sometime later this week and generally goes past new years day.

Thanks for the info.  I'm not really concerned about getting the revolver back soon.  I don't plan on them working this Holiday season, I won't be!   Just wondering about average time for repairs.  Never sent in a gun for warranty before.  I won't need the revolver till March.  The only other time having repairs was my 686 which Cylinder & slide fixed at Second Chance, which was a long time ago!     

Thanks for the info JCOERS!  I sent an email to S&W and there reply at this times was " We don't have a turn around time to quote. Since we will be heading into our holiday shutdown from 12/23-1/2 we will be a week or so behind in repairs " which is fine.  No worries.  Just need it to be right when it comes back.  I bought the gun knowing it had timing issues, but loved the looks and idea behind it!   Some plate matches I attend at local clubs allow 7 shots in a revolver, so this will be perfect!  Although I didn't feel too handicapped with a 6 shot 686.

Merry Christmas! 

• 4 weeks later...

I received my 986 today!  The timing is now excellent, and the work was done less than a month.  S&W replaces the cylinder (whole thing) and installed a long hand.   The cylinder locks up tight as a drum well before the hammer falls.  Cheers!

Getting back to your question regarding bullets. If you are primarily interested is steel challenge loads you may want to check out the thread below. I have been shooting 160 grain Bayou bullets but plan on switching to a 135 grain bullet. 

About a year ago, I think my turnaround time was about 3 weeks on my 929.  That's one of the ones I wish I hadn't sold :(

*EDIT* Oops, didn't see that you already got it back, sorry for the late reply!

Edited by fbzero