Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC AR 9mm barrel makers?

40 minutes ago, vinconco said:

I have the NFA 16" 9mm match barrel and it leaves rifling marks on factory American Eagle 115 gr loads.   Hard ejection of loaded rounds too.    I called and emailed NFA and they're supposed to get back to me.   

I don't want to have to ream my barrel and need to purchase one that will take ANYTHING I feed it.   Any suggestions?

Hello: JP or Wilson Arms stainless are the two that I know will take anything I have tried in them. I had to throat a KAW valley barrel to load coated bullets at 1.145" OAL. Thanks, Eric

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, vinconco said:

I don't want to have to ream my barrel and need to purchase one that will take ANYTHING I feed it.   Any suggestions?

Here on the forums I see more and more barrels that appear to have sufficient leade but the only one that definitely will run almost any length bullet that will fit in the magazine is JP.

Unless you are in a big hurry, I bet some barrel vendors will take notice and open 'em up for us.  It just might take a little time.

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2016 at 8:15 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I was so excited to get the project going I forgot to weight it before. After I was done it weights 23.7152ozs which is lighter than a 16" JP barrel but heavier than a 16" KAW Valley barrel. I will shoot it this week to see how it does. Thanks, Eric

If anybody is still interested, my 16" Wilson Arms barrel weighs in at 25.6 ounces on my postal scale.

I'm not sure if it's worth the time to set this barrel up in my lathe to shave 2 ounces off of it.

10 hours ago, Pat Miles said:

If anybody is still interested, my 16" Wilson Arms barrel weighs in at 25.6 ounces on my postal scale.

I'm not sure if it's worth the time to set this barrel up in my lathe to shave 2 ounces off of it.

Pat: It is a fun project and it makes it lighter so that is faster, I think. Should only take you a half an hour or so. Do it before your nap time. Thanks, Eric

Pat: It is a fun project and it makes it lighter so that is faster, I think. Should only take you a half an hour or so. Do it before your nap time. Thanks, Eric

I bought the Wilson Arms barrel based on your recommendation, and had a friend turn it down so it's the same diameter the full length. Gave it a quick rattle can job and then shot it yesterday in steel challenge. I'm extremely happy with it, so thank you for the tip!

6aec83de1aca34ebf93455b7c8f65757.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Oh, it will probably happen at some point.

3 hours ago, Malarkey said:

Max Leograndis ran a Taccom ULW barrel on his pcc when he won nationals, I'd say they work pretty well..

Over on (heaven forbid) Doodie, Max indicated he used a "10.5 faxon barrel (shitty barrel btw, the chamber sucks)".

But he is running Taccom's comp on it.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Over on (heaven forbid) Doodie, Max indicated he used a "10.5 faxon barrel (shitty barrel btw, the chamber sucks)".

Chamber doesn't suck, the short throat sucks. My reamed Faxon/KVP barrel is grouping 1" @ 50 yards with my handloads, and has functioned 100%

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hello: The Faxon/KAW Valley barrel is a good barrel but the chamber is a little short. The Wilson Arms barrel solves that problem but is a little on the heavy side if you are looking for a light barrel you don't have to do anything to. I still think load development and buffer tuning do more to balance out a PCC. I am using a turned down Wilson Arms right now and really like how it is working out for me. I do have my barrel weight/comp on it as well. Thanks, Eric

Faxon's throats are short, but their customer service is really good. My first barrel had such a short throat it wouldn't chamber many factory loads. I sent them an email, they said just return it on their dime and they'd send me a new one. 

When they found out what it cost to Fedex something from Alaska (don't know why they wouldn't use the mail, much cheaper, I suggested it), they just sent me the new barrel. By mail, go figure. 

Now I have a Clymer reamer coming from Brownells...

On 4/2/2017 at 1:43 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

That's not what he said on reddit when asked about it. Plus, looking at the images of his PPC from nats, there is only one 9mm barrel on the market like that.

I have been lengthening the throats on my 9mm barrels for years with a Clymer throater. I first ran into the problem with some 124 grain truncated cone lead bullets. I tried loading short but was not satisfied with the results.  It is very easy to re-cut the throat and I see no down side. Re-cutting the throat does not change the chamber or head space. The reamer is $100 and after that the work takes less than 1/2 hour for a pistol barrel and if done prior to assembly the same for the AR barrel. With a extended holder I can ream an AR chamber without disassembly. Honestly it is no big deal, why is everyone so insistent on the factory getting a throat cut for bullets which require a long throat?

19 hours ago, Malarkey said:

That's not what he said on reddit when asked about it. Plus, looking at the images of his PPC from nats, there is only one 9mm barrel on the market like that.

Max did indeed use a 10.5 Faxon, permanently attached a Taccom comp and then permanently attached a steel pipe with holes drilled in it. 58f22c554961f_Screenshot2017-04-15at10_20_08AM.png.bc7e8e4ede7c0f9405eb911e69533ebb.png

Edited by Patrick Scott
3 hours ago, bfilbey said:

Honestly it is no big deal, why is everyone so insistent on the factory getting a throat cut for bullets which require a long throat?

Once you try cutting on a nitride coated barrel you may change your thought process. 

4 hours ago, bfilbey said:

..............It is very easy to re-cut the throat and I see no down side. ........... Honestly it is no big deal, why is everyone so insistent on the factory getting a throat cut for bullets which require a long throat?

The problem folks are reporting is cutting through the nitride coating.  If you have a parkerized or stainless steel barrel, no problem.  But the nitrided barrels seem to be taking hours, not minutes to cut and sometimes you end up with a damaged reamer.

It explains why none of the gunsmiths are willing to tackle this job.

54 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

The problem folks are reporting is cutting through the nitride coating.  If you have a parkerized or stainless steel barrel, no problem.  But the nitrided barrels seem to be taking hours, not minutes to cut and sometimes you end up with a damaged reamer.

It explains why none of the gunsmiths are willing to tackle this job.

^this, I have cut many CZ barrels and a chrome-lined Colt 9mm AR barrel-easy peasy. Friend gave me a nitrided barrel to cut-F'those things. 

• 3 weeks later...