Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC AR 9mm barrel makers?

Hello: I was wondering what barrels people are using for their AR 9mm builds? So far I have a KAW Valley 16" that needed throating so I could use reloads loaded to 1.150" OAL. I have a JP 16" barrel that is ready to go as is. I have on order a stainless 16" Wilson Arms barrel that I will check when it gets here. The KAW Valley has been accurate out to 50 yards with my C-More mounted on it.  I will check the other two barrels when I get the uppers built for them. Thanks, Eric

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric, I have a 16" Wilson stainless 9mm barrel and can run 124gr MG JHP's out to 1.15 and still pass the plunk test. I am waiting on parts for this rifle so have no had a chance to fire it yet. This barrel is pretty thick compared to the KAW Valley that I have on the girlfriends rifle. I wish it was a bit thinner but had trouble finding a SS 9mm 16" barrel. Have thought about having it milled down a bit.

I don't know who the true manufacturer of the barrel is, but I have a Palmetto State Armory barrel that will definitely require a throater before it is really usable.  The  longest over all bullet length I can run with 147 gr X-treme RN bullets is 1.108".  Also its nitride coated so that may add to my problems. As long as I keep the bullets short, it runs well. I have not really tested the accuracy since I know my current reloads will not be used when I start shooting PCC matches.

I plan on buying a Manson throat reamer after the holidays to open it up.

1 hour ago, MickB said:

Ballistic Advantage or Faxon. I have a Ballistic Advantage 8.5" that I run with 1.15" OAL loads...

Mick

Are they recent purchases? I have a Ballistic Advantage 11" and had a 16" Faxon and bullets loaded to 1.11 would hit the rifling in both.

I might just have to buy a stainless barrel and have it chopped, threaded, and turned to what I want.

2 hours ago, MikeRush said:

Are they recent purchases? I have a Ballistic Advantage 11" and had a 16" Faxon and bullets loaded to 1.11 would hit the rifling in both.

I might just have to buy a stainless barrel and have it chopped, threaded, and turned to what I want.

I have one of the first run of the 8.5" barrels. I am loading to 1.15" OAL using Precision Delta 124gr FMJ and have never had an issue.

Are you using hollow points by chance? Had a buddy that loaded to same OAL as his FMJ loads and he was getting his rounds hit the rifling in his JP PCC barrel.

Edited by MickB
1 hour ago, MickB said:

I have one of the first run of the 8.5" barrels. I am loading to 1.15" OAL using Precision Delta 124gr FMJ and have never had an issue.

Are you using hollow points by chance? Had a buddy that loaded to same OAL as his FMJ loads and he was getting his rounds hit the rifling in his JP PCC barrel.

Thanks! That makes sense. FMJs work in both of my barrels out to as long as will fit the magazine but I think most of us having throat contact issues are using lead, coated lead or plated. 

It definitely is going to be bullet profile dependent. I like the cost savings of coated lead vs FMJ. In 2k projectiles the savings would pay for a throating reamer, or alternately, having a smith chop and thread a JP for me.

Hello: I have a JP I bought when they had a sale. I have not shot it yet but hopefully this week. It will take long loaded coated bullets out to 1.150" OAL and looks like maybe a little longer. It is not as light as my KAW Valley barrel since the JP has a weighted end area. Barrel pricing seem to be in the under $100 to over $200 range. Thanks, Eric

On 12/21/2016 at 7:31 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: The Wilson Arms barrel arrived today. It is throated as deep as the JP barrel I have. The Wilson barrel was a little on the heavy side so I put it on a diet. Here are the before and slim fast pics. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

What where the before and after weights?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm running the 16" Faxon and it has been great so far. It will take RN bullets loaded as long as the Glock mags will feed, 1.15" or so.

And, the Faxon comes without all the extra bulk of many of the other barrels available. I don't understand why so many of the AR9 barrels have gasblock seat areas and the shoulders with them, etc. The barrel doesnt need to be any heavier than a pistol barrel...

I also have a JP and its a great barrel, but I think that it can benefit from the work like Eric did above. No issues with having to load shorter in it either.

As others have mentioned, OAL is HIGHLY dependent on bullet profile. Any of the "truncated cone, flat point" bullets are likely going to have to be loaded shorter than something with a standard "FMJ" profile.

Edited by wgj3
Spelling

Hello: All three of the barrels I have tried are doing great. The KAW, stainless Wilson Arms and stainless JP. I am not a bench rest guy so 30 yard A zone head shots off hand all day long works just fine for me.  I think some of the barrel makers make the barrel with gas block bosses and AR15 profiles since most guys that buy them are trying for that retro look. Most USPSA guys are looking for lightness since weight is a killer of speed. I shot a friends JP 9mm this week. It was a nice rifle but for me just a little too heavy. Transitions were slower for me but the recoil was light feeling. Could be the weight or buffer setup. I think as more people start shooting AR 9mm rifles the barrel makers will start making lighter profile barrels. Or just talk to your local machinist or gunsmith and turn the barrel down. I would pick a barrel you can load all types of bullet profiles that you will be using and the overall length you like to run. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 4:31 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: The Wilson Arms barrel arrived today. It is throated as deep as the JP barrel I have. The Wilson barrel was a little on the heavy side so I put it on a diet. Here are the before and slim fast pics. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

Erick, what did you turn it down too? I  have the same barrel and am thinking of doing the same.

thanks stan