Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone loading heavier than 180 grain for limited 40?

nikdanja

Been loading 180 grain with 5.6 grains of WSF for 2 years now and it's always works.  Accurate and dependable.

Looking on extremes website and the $6.50 extra for 500 rounds would maybe give me an extra 3,500 grains per pound of powder. Cost wise it would be worth it but wanted to see what others say about loading and shooting it. 

What at length are you getting out of the bullet?

My STI is functioning great at a 1.165 coal and I haven't messed with it. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't have time to mess with loads so help is needed for sure. 

Edited by nikdanja

I shot 180gr and 200gr bullets out of my limited guns for a year. I then switched to 165gr bullets. I get more bullets in a case of 165gr then the 180gr/200gr. I obviously use more powder with the 165gr bullets. But I like the snappier recoil of the 165gr loads. I load out to 1.200 OAL for my 1911's/2011's. WSF is a great powder for 40cal reloading. You'll make major power factor at minimum load data from Hodgdon reloading website since their published load data is with a 4 inch barrel.

I'm loading 180 FP SNS bullets over 3.6gr of Clays.  I have some 155 RN that I wantto try out.  My RIA DS is really heavy and sucks up the recoil.  Even going to a lighter bullet with more of a snappy recoil shouldn't be too bad.  I wouldn't want to shoot my 180gr load in a lighter gun.

I'm using 200 grain blue bullets with WST at 1.22"   If blue bullets made a 220 grain bullet, I'd use that as I like the softer recoil of the heavier bullets.

200 and 220 grain x-treme bullets were awesome in a previous pistol I sold.  They did not work, accuracy wise, in my current pistols.

You should be fine with either 200 or 220 grain bullets at your OAL with WSF.  You might be a little cautious if you use a faster powder, though.  If you look at the length of the bullet itself and how deeply a 220 grain bullet has to be seated at 1.165", there could be a large initial pressure spike.

1 hour ago, nikdanja said:

Funny you say that cause WSF is what I use. You had MORE bullet to load a 165 grain than a 180 or 200?

I get my bullets by the case from Black Bullets International. 

165gr is 2700 bullets per case

180gr is 2500 bullets per case

200gr is 2200 bullets per case

On 12/18/2016 at 2:44 PM, bjones6686 said:

I shot 180gr and 200gr bullets out of my limited guns for a year. I then switched to 165gr bullets. I get more bullets in a case of 165gr then the 180gr/200gr. I obviously use more powder with the 165gr bullets. But I like the snappier recoil of the 165gr loads. I load out to 1.200 OAL for my 1911's/2011's. WSF is a great powder for 40cal reloading. You'll make major power factor at minimum load data from Hodgdon reloading website since their published load data is with a 4 inch barrel.

Have you compared the recoil impulse of the wsf vs the wst or with any other powder?  I am loading titegroup in my production gun and love the recoil impulse but not so with my limited. Obviously this is subjective. 

Edited by bulm540

1 hour ago, bulm540 said:

Have you compared the recoil impulse of the wsf vs the wst or with any other powder?  I am loading titegroup in my production gun and love the recoil impulse but not so with my limited. Obviously this is subjective. 

I've used WST for 40 and 45acp. It shot soft in both calibers.

I switch from 180 to 200gr bullets about half way through this years season and i wont ever go back to 180. 200gr black bullets is where its at. Very soft and very manageable recoil. Im loading them over WST and it makes for a mean combo and makes major easily. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am gonna start loading .40 long for my new limcat single stack when it gets here next month.  I have 8 lbs of WST and have been wondering what to order 180 or 200 grain blue bullets. Would anyone else care to share some WST loads with 180 and 200's and give their thoughts? Thanks

On 1/10/2017 at 0:28 PM, TMcGowan said:

I like it a lot.  If you like a heavier limited gun you will like it.  I used to shoot the 2011 platform and I feel with a properly set up Tanfo you give up nothing.  

Thanks, currently shooting a stock 2 in production. I do have an SV LDC and a Benny long slide. Considering switching to the tanfog for limited.

4.1 WST

Just about any small pistol primer

200 gr Bayou= they seem to be the most accurate and best service on orders

col = 1.180

Out of 1911's and 2011's from two different builders and several factory guns

Tiny groups, smooth recoil impluse and can shoot splits as fast as I can with 180's on the timer

BUT my "feeler" likes them better and the timer doesn't lie so I like the 200's especially when I'm coming back to limited or SS after a time with CO 9mm's or open

where recoil impluse is a non issue.

Order a 1000 and give them a try and see if they work for you and your style of shooting!

Good fortune

Neil