Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon RF100......

On 3/3/2017 at 10:23 AM, RiggerJJ said:

I think the spinning primer is a primer issue, even thou I prefer them, Winchester primers give me the most grief. CCIs seem to run fine.

To do the hot glue mod, you have to remove the clear cover and turn the unit upside down. Right next to the red or blue adapter where the top of the primer mag inserts I put just a small dot or hot glue to keep the top of the primer mag away from the metal of the platform. 1/16 inch away is enough.

And put a small torpedo level on all 4 sides of the square tube that holds the platform up, and make sure it is plum.

Also, I weakened the bottom spring in the cup that the primer mag sits on, not too much as the spring still needs to hold the mag up against the top.

Other than that, its just a matter of adjusting the vibration speed...

Mine works great.

Good luck!

jj

Thanks for the info...  I think I agree about the Winchester primers...  I have thousands of Federal SPP's through this RF-100 and did not have as many "flips" as I do since switching to Winchester Small Rifle Primers.

If I understand your notes above correctly, I think I might have a different model of RF-100 than you do...  I have a small screw whose only purpose seems to be adjusting the space between the top of the metal barrel of the primer magazine and the bottom of the RF-100 base.  I'm not sure the hot glue mod would help me, although adjusting the screw might...  Here's a picture of my RF-100.  You can see the adjustment screw on the left side.

58bc4b2f8c62d_RF-100AttachmentPoint.jpg.f64e4cb3674f498f03d887c435e2dff5.jpg

Edited by RaylanGivens

That screw holes in the plastic insert that you change out when going frim small primer to large primer.

Edited by tmz

10 hours ago, dvc4you said:

So what is the verdict with WSR primers? I am ready to pull the trigger on a RF-100 but spending $ 350 and then hours of de-bugging doesn't make sense to me.

Not sure about WSR but I run WLP and WSP though it without issue (as well as Rem 7.5's) - reality is, put it on a mousepad, pick the right tab for your primer thickness, set your initial adjustment which only takes a few minutes, maybe a bit of tweaking and you're off and running.

I had my first inverted primer two days ago, loaded from my 650. I have owned the RF100 since Christmas. 

I seldom plunk practice ammo, but I do put loaded rounds nose down in the ammo box. That's where I caught it.

So far I have had that one inverted primer, and three on their sides.

I did no tuning on the RF100. Like I said earlier it sits on a level bench with a mouse pad under it. I have adjusted the speed maybe a couple of times.

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently run into the issue of the Winchester primers flipping or getting stuck in my RF100. I was getting at least 3 per hundred flipped and was going to just get rid of this thing. But after trying CCI and Federal they were all oriented 100% correct. I like not having to fill by hand so I'm just going to avoid buying Winchester going forward. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2017 at 9:56 AM, mdm3 said:

I have recently run into the issue of the Winchester primers flipping or getting stuck in my RF100. I was getting at least 3 per hundred flipped and was going to just get rid of this thing. But after trying CCI and Federal they were all oriented 100% correct. I like not having to fill by hand so I'm just going to avoid buying Winchester going forward. 

That interesting, I find Win primers run the best for me.  WLP are automatic, WSP I might have to fuss with a bit getting initial setup right, but after that no issues. I'm actually thinking about buying a 2nd one so I can leave them setup for LP/SP.

• 1 year later...