Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon RF100......

Just set up my new RL100 awhile ago. I been nice all year so I asked the fat man to bring me one, and he showed up early.

Fantastic machine. Ran like a dream right out of the box, fast or slow. Thank you Santa.

My presses are idle at the moment so I've been dumping primers into a little plastic bottle and them running through the RL again, and again.

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

6 hours ago, MikieM said:

I don't know yet.  Do you know something I don't?

I've been watching Youtube and reading threads in an attempt to get my RL100 99.98% reliable with small pistol primers.  The device is useless if it either has to be watched or  produces more than one upside down primer in 500 or 1000.  It is a bit of a marvel, but I can load primer tubes very fast with my Hornady red gun.  Haven't given up hope yet, however.  Best you watch 400-500 primers drop into the abyss; you may have lucked out and gotten a unit the is GTG from Dillon.

11 hours ago, RickT said:

I've been watching Youtube and reading threads in an attempt to get my RL100 99.98% reliable with small pistol primers.  The device is useless if it either has to be watched or  produces more than one upside down primer in 500 or 1000.  It is a bit of a marvel, but I can load primer tubes very fast with my Hornady red gun.  Haven't given up hope yet, however.  Best you watch 400-500 primers drop into the abyss; you may have lucked out and gotten a unit the is GTG from Dillon.

I'll be keeping my eye on it, that's for sure. I've read plenty of negatives, but I've also read plenty of positives, too.

Oddly, just the other day I set a primer in a case upside down. One that I had used a pick-up tube on.

You gotta admit. That looks damn good sitting there.  :D

Folks have gotten it to work for sure.  One enterprising reloader worked over the spring in the primer tube base mount.  The unit is pretty reliable getting primers to the tube in the correct orientation, but over-excitation can cause a primer to invert as it enters the tube mouth.  I'm certainly not giving up; I'd say I'm in the grip of wary optimism.

I've drank the blue Kool-ade, that's for sure, but what the hell, you've got to die of something. Might as well be an explosion in the reloading room.

Just kidding, of course.

I mentioned the inverted primer I put into a case, last week. There was no problem with it. When I finish reloading I (like many others here) plunk my ammo in a Shock-Bottle.

It's at that time I am able to discover the bad primer and can discard it. 

16 hours ago, RickT said:

I had this problem with my RL100 also. While I have it easy - I live near the store, and took it in to be fixed... - my issues were just as the primers entered the space under that plastic cover. There is a certain degree of tightness for that cover.  Too tight and it seems to warp a bit and create that flipping effect. Same if too loose. Some also have added a thin layer of superglue on the underside, which when dry serves to reduce the space under there and prevent the agitated primers from inverting.  You can buy a new plastic cover piece, too. There is also that left-right adjustment but that mainly determines the aperture to let primers into the space or not.

My issue actually was the vibration was awry because of the motor mechanism. The primers were popping up and down too much rather than just vibrating.

Q

There's a couple of things that have got this thing off to a good start. One: My loading bench is dead level and rock solid. Two: The RF sits on a mouse pad (see photo).

I believe both these things keep excess vibrations from upsetting the machine, and the noise is minimal. 

Edited by MikieM

• 2 months later...

I'm having trouble with primers flipping half way and getting stuck sideways.  As the other primers pile against it it gets stuck and doesn't drop one way or the other.  These kinds of things need to run 100% and I just cant get this to do it.  I've spent hours trying to tune every possible thing on the machine.  Its even on mouse pads.  Its getting close to being sold.  I could deal with one flipped every now and then but can't do with them getting stuck.  Anybody have any ideas before i put this thing up for sale?

I have no idea what I did to get it to work 100%.  What I did was a) move to a different spot on the bench (but my bench is solid as a rock) and b)put a thin sheet of cardboard (think cereal box) under the front feet.  I also cursed a good deal prior which I believe helped.  one out of ten runs I might get a very minor jam, but always on the bottom tray, not near the ramp or primer tube.  I haven't had an upside down primer in 10K rounds or so (small primers).  Seems to work with CCI 500, WSP and S&B.

5 hours ago, Edge40 said:

I'm having trouble with primers flipping half way and getting stuck sideways.  As the other primers pile against it it gets stuck and doesn't drop one way or the other.  These kinds of things need to run 100% and I just cant get this to do it.  I've spent hours trying to tune every possible thing on the machine.  Its even on mouse pads.  Its getting close to being sold.  I could deal with one flipped every now and then but can't do with them getting stuck.  Anybody have any ideas before i put this thing up for sale?

This sounds like a cop-out, but i think its your primers. They are slightly undersized in diameter. Try a different brand.

19 minutes ago, RiggerJJ said:

This sounds like a cop-out, but i think its your primers. They are slightly undersized in diameter. Try a different brand.

A cop out it is not.  There is a ton of people and many on this forum that just couldn't make them run.  Load data and volume is committed to a brand of primers.  I just don't feel like a piece of equipment that costs that much should be this hard to get to run right.  Lets be realistic there is really only 3 brands of primers that the vast majority of us use.  If it can't run 33 percent of them thats not good.  If you would like to buy my supply of primers I would be happy to start over with another brand.  That said I will try another brand and see if it solves the problem if not its on the chopping block.  The amount of time I have in trying to get it to run I could have stuck with primer tubes and been better off.

I meant that my post may sound like a cop-out. Not your issues. I dont doubt that you are having problems, I just think the primers themselves may be the cause.

Have you checked to make sure the RF is plum? If can't be leaning any direction.

Another thing I did to mine was put a dot of hot glue under the top where the tube case meets the platform, holding the tube case away from the platform slightly. It helped a lot. Also, make very small adjustments on the vibration speed.

Just some thoughts

jj

I had a few flipped primers when I first started using an rf100, but I kind of learned how to adjust it and it pretty much ran 100% for quite a while.  I change between large and small, and the screw that holds the red or blue plastic collar in needs quite a bit of slack, and the clear plastic part needs to be adjusted so anything still upside down has just enough room to drop out. 

After a good bit of reliable use, it started to occasionally feed upside down, and it seemed to kind of over excite primers, and jumble them around more than move them through the machine. 

The solution was to tighten the big nut on the bottom of the unit like 1/16 a turn. I think the there must be a rubber damper in there that breaks in a little, and it needs to be slightly snug.

That had it back to feeding quickly and never an upside down primer, regardless of where the speed is set (though it runs best slightly above low).

Edited by JeffinTD

On 2/24/2017 at 11:20 PM, RiggerJJ said:

I meant that my post may sound like a cop-out. Not your issues. I dont doubt that you are having problems, I just think the primers themselves may be the cause.

Have you checked to make sure the RF is plum? If can't be leaning any direction.

Another thing I did to mine was put a dot of hot glue under the top where the tube case meets the platform, holding the tube case away from the platform slightly. It helped a lot. Also, make very small adjustments on the vibration speed.

Just some thoughts

jj

Where exactly do you put the drop of hot glue?  What is hot glue anyway?

I'm loading WSR primers...  Sometimes one of them will start spinning like a gyroscope at the top of the primer tube and hold up a train of primers behind it...  Maybe putting the small drop of glue above where the primer spins would stop it from spinning?

10 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Where exactly do you put the drop of hot glue?  What is hot glue anyway?

I'm loading WSR primers...  Sometimes one of them will start spinning like a gyroscope at the top of the primer tube and hold up a train of primers behind it...  Maybe putting the small drop of glue above where the primer spins would stop it from spinning?

I think the spinning primer is a primer issue, even thou I prefer them, Winchester primers give me the most grief. CCIs seem to run fine.

To do the hot glue mod, you have to remove the clear cover and turn the unit upside down. Right next to the red or blue adapter where the top of the primer mag inserts I put just a small dot or hot glue to keep the top of the primer mag away from the metal of the platform. 1/16 inch away is enough.

And put a small torpedo level on all 4 sides of the square tube that holds the platform up, and make sure it is plum.

Also, I weakened the bottom spring in the cup that the primer mag sits on, not too much as the spring still needs to hold the mag up against the top.

Other than that, its just a matter of adjusting the vibration speed...

Mine works great.

Good luck!

jj