Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering getting a PCC - point me in the right direction

So I thinking I might start shooting the PCC division in Steel Challenge and have started to do some basic research ... however, I know nothing about these guns.  Can anyone point me to a good primer on them and also feel free to suggest specific models if you want.  My price range is probably $1,000- $1,500 excluding an optic... thx!

Edited by Nimitz

Hello: Get a Mech Tech 9mm using a Glock lower if you have a Glock 17 or 34. Good way to start, inexpensive and fun to shoot. Use a C-More railway with a 1/2 riser. Other than that build one using a mag insert and Colt mags with a made up upper. You can own both of these for less than a Sig MPX if you have an AR15 lower already. Thanks, Eric

https://newfrontierarmory.com/product-category/ar-9-lower-receivers/       New frontier armory, they supply a lot of the other venders out there with parts. I built my first one with a side charging upper and glock lower for under a grand minus a cmore railway. Girlfriend likes it so much it is now her rifle and I am building myself another one.

Edited by noexcuses

if you are a Type A personality/shooter, you will probably want to look at the SiG MPX with the short piston system as it has less recoil, and so far seems like the only non blow back as a production gun... there are some building DI and short piston systems, but they are not in widespread use..the blow back guns have a lot of recoil... if you like to fool with your firearms, then an AR style can be built for around $800 less optic... if you want the look of a WWII sub gun with a straight stick mag, the Colt style look more traditional than the angled Glock style lowers... the Colt style allow a relative simple last round bolt hold open system, the Glock style have a variety of linkages... if you already shoot a Glock the choice is more obvious... if you do not reload 9mm, a factory round will put you at a slight disadvantage compared to one that can lower the power factor to minimum... if I am not shooting a double tap on a paper target, then I don't really notice the recoil transitioning to another piece of steel....good luck with your choice... I opted for a NFA billet Glock lower and straightforward AR upper with simple full float fore end, A1 stock

Taran Butler on his interview for the shooters summit said the sig mpx has a significant advantage over the rest out of the box and can be modified to be even better if you so choose...
I saw a YouTube vid of him shooting real fast with one, lol... so I tend to believe it. (He claims no affiliation with sig and neither do I)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Nimitz said:

Thx! I'll start looking into the Sig.  I know it's a blowback but any opinions about the CMMG Mk 9?

I bought a CMMG MK 9 as a pistol and Form 1'ed it to make an SBR. It is awesome and so much fun. Has been reliable and is awesome in PCC competition. Got 6 Metalform Colt style mags from Brownells but can also find at PSA for $20. Just be certain to buy the mag loader. They are a bear to load without it.

The whole AR 9mm deal especially when you SBR it has reenergized me in competition shooting and also started me down a road of more PCCs.

I recommend the CMMG highly.

Happy to answer any questions you might have.

MK

Hello: You could look at the Lone Wolf PCC as well. Uses Glock mags and seem to be ready to shoot. I have seen some of the Sigs in matches and I was not really impressed on how they shot. I have not shot one yet but everyone I have seen has a new trigger installed and some other goodies. That seems like a lot to do to a PCC at that price point to me. If you reload you can get nice reloaded ammo with 124 grain bullets. They shoot soft and followup shots are quick. I need more testing with 147's. If you can hold off for a month or two there will be more AR 9mm coming out I think since they are the hot AR type rifles being sold right now. Maybe after Shot Show? Thanks, Eric

I have shot everything from bargain basement home builds to JP's and SIG MPXs.  The Sig is far above the others is you put a trigger in it.  Probably 30% less recoil than the blow-back guns.  I have a gen one that I built up as a PCC I am about 2000 rounds in with not so much as a hiccup.  I have fed it every kind of junk ammo I had or could find.  

There are only 2 negatives.
1.  Price
2.  Trigger sucks.  Mine was 11 lbs out of the box.  That was corrected with a Hiperfire 24c and it is 2 lbs even now.  

If the MPX is in your budget, it is hands down the best thing available right now.  

MPX_zps1fealkdd.jpg

Edited by Shadyscott999
28 minutes ago, Shadyscott999 said:

I have shot everything from bargain basement home builds to JP's and SIG MPXs.  The Sig is far above the others is you put a trigger in it.  Probably 30% less recoil than the blow-back guns.  I have a gen one that I built up as a PCC I am about 2000 rounds in with not so much as a hiccup.  I have fed it every kind of junk ammo I had or could find.  

1.  Price
2.  Trigger sucks.  Mine was 11 lbs out of the box.  That was corrected with a Hiperfire 24c and it is 2 lbs even now.  

If the MPX is in your budget, it is hands down the best thing available right now.  

Is that the KAK adapter?  UBR Stock?  How is the length of pull.  I am trying to decide on a stock to replace the collapsible one.  I really like the ACE Skeleton Stocks, but am afraid it would be too long with the adapter and no adjustability.

Edited by tyler2you
13 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

1.  Price

MPX_zps1fealkdd.jpg

Shady:  thx for the info .... the  Sig is certainly within my budget ... what optic is that & is that mag ext from Sig or a 3rd party?  Also, is the barrel threaded?

Aircooled:   I can certainly wait until after SHOT .... I just sold a SW41 setup for rim fire open Steel Challenge div so I'm looking at what to do & have been toying with the idea of going after GM in a 2nd Steel Challenge division & maybe get back to shoot some USPSA matches again ...

Wow.  13 respondents and 8 opinions.  Which 1/2 ton truck should you get?

I like the Colt style rifles.  In steel challenge, it really doesn't matter because you don't need to reload on the clock. 

If you have a Glock handgun, then there would be a benefit to going with a Glock compatible rifle. 

14 hours ago, tyler2you said:

Is that the KAK adapter?  UBR Stock?  How is the length of pull.  I am trying to decide on a stock to replace the collapsible one.  I really like the ACE Skeleton Stocks, but am afraid it would be too long with the adapter and no adjustability.

That is not the KAK.  The KAK is a little shorter.  I honestly can;t remember who makes the one I have.  Yes, that is the UBR.  Any stock that is not adjustable and/or requires a rifle length tube will be way too long with the stock adapters you have to use.  

1 hour ago, Nimitz said:

Shady:  thx for the info .... the  Sig is certainly within my budget ... what optic is that & is that mag ext from Sig or a 3rd party?  Also, is the barrel threaded?

Aircooled:   I can certainly wait until after SHOT .... I just sold a SW41 setup for rim fire open Steel Challenge div so I'm looking at what to do & have been toying with the idea of going after GM in a 2nd Steel Challenge division & maybe get back to shoot some USPSA matches again ...

That is a Deltapoint Pro.  The barrel extension is a weld on from Springer.  I tried a thread on aluminum one and the threads pulled out of the aluminum after less than 1000 rounds.  This one looks cool and isn't going anywhere.  The mag extensions are from Springer as well.  

4 hours ago, Nimitz said:

...of going after GM in a 2nd Steel Challenge division & maybe get back to shoot some USPSA matches again ...

Good Deal, lots of PCC activity at our local clubs, and G.N. needs some competition now that he is a PCC GM!   I've found that shooting PCC is a lot like shooting centerfire open so the transition to PCC was easy.  Get a reliable gun and go for it!  Another GM PCC'er in the club would be good.  ;)

23 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

That is a Deltapoint Pro.  The barrel extension is a weld on from Springer.  I tried a thread on aluminum one and the threads pulled out of the aluminum after less than 1000 rounds.  This one looks cool and isn't going anywhere.  The mag extensions are from Springer as well.  

Didn' see the barrel extensions on SpringerPrecision's website ... Was that custom work they did?