Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA defector..

TK66

Hi guys, I've been lurking behind the scenes on the forum for a while. I'm getting ready to focus on USPSA next season.  The rules in IDPA seem to be going in the wrong direction for me.  I shoot ESP EX with a 9mm M&P that has been modified and would be in limited. Any recommendations of what division would be a good one to start in? I was thinking about single stack major (sig max or STI sentinel).  So I could also shoot CDP if I felt the urge.  Living in NY and 10rd limit  I can't see spending on a limited gun..

Anyway, just looking for some advice for a new USPSA shooter. 

Thanks,

TK

How is IDPA going in the wrong direction when it is becoming more similar to USPSA?  e.g. fault lines.

Anyway, the cheapest division will be Production. Single stack would be fun too, but would be more expensive, and is one of the less "competitive" divisions. 

However, I'd say start with what you have - which from the sound of it could be Limited 10.

As an IDPA Expert prepare to work up to C class :) 

Thanks for the reply! From what I've been reading, major seems to be most popular choice.  I have 1911's in 9 and 45, VP9 that I could use in production and the M&P that would be limited minor.  I guess the most important thing is to go and shoot.  I like running the M&P a lot, maybe just shoot limited minor with it?  At the club level does minor really hurt your score?

5 minutes ago, selecw said:

How is IDPA going in the wrong direction when it is becoming more similar to USPSA?  e.g. fault lines.

Anyway, the cheapest division will be Production. Single stack would be fun too, but would be more expensive, and is one of the less "competitive" divisions. 

However, I'd say start with what you have - which from the sound of it could be Limited 10.

As an IDPA Expert prepare to work up to C class :) 

I like starting on the bottom.  Haha.   It seems to me that they are trying to slow things down.  I usually do better on stages that have more targets than less.  I enjoy the run and gun type of thing..  18rd max stages are getting old

49 minutes ago, TK66 said:

Hi guys, I've been lurking behind the scenes on the forum for a while. I'm getting ready to focus on USPSA next season.  The rules in IDPA seem to be going in the wrong direction for me.  I shoot ESP EX with a 9mm M&P that has been modified and would be in limited. Any recommendations of what division would be a good one to start in? I was thinking about single stack major (sig max or STI sentinel).  So I could also shoot CDP if I felt the urge.  Living in NY and 10rd limit  I can't see spending on a limited gun..

Anyway, just looking for some advice for a new USPSA shooter. 

Thanks,

TK

15 minutes ago, TK66 said:

I like starting on the bottom.  Haha.   It seems to me that they are trying to slow things down.  I usually do better on stages that have more targets than less.  I enjoy the run and gun type of thing..  18rd max stages are getting old

As stated Limited 10 minor or Production by  switching any visible mods. back to factory  shoot with the M&P.  it's not what the cool kids are shooting but it will still do everything you need to do and since you like running it "run it"

Limited 10 minor depends on your shooting style, you still have to be fast in L10, just being accurate won't do the job.

with that said, get out and shoot, if your club runs two different start times sign up for both and shoot L10minor and SS major. So you can figure out based on your placement overall and your accuracy percentage, whether you're a major or minor shooter.  Personally I always place higher overall shooting major but a friend switchd to SS minor and he's tearing it up with the 9mm both overall and in his division. So it depends on your shooting style.

You're used to your gear being behind the hip so keep it there for both divisions for now so that won't be a learning curve also. and while you're figuring out which Div. to shoot it will keep things consistent in one portion of the change over to uspsa.

Welcome uspsa

Neil

I'm with you!
IDPA new rules are all about going slow... just not as much fun.
My biggest concern with larger USPSA matches is stage planning.
I'll probably never be able to get to one a day ahead to do planning... I'll be lucky to get there in time for safety meetings LOL!

Other than that, I just see it as a more fun sport.
I'll be shooting production as major/minor rules really kill minor in most divisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 minutes ago, wtturn said:

For the love of biscuits, please don't shoot L10. Shoot Lim minor and prosper.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

He's in NY... at my club that's often the largest division. No one shoots limited unless it's by accident and you come in #1 out of 1. 

8 hours ago, racknrider said:

Shoot Limited or Limited 10 for a couple of matches and see what you find most interesting. Just go shoot before you buy a bunch of new gear. Single stack major is a whole lot of reloads ?

Any 8-10 rd gun is lots or reloads????

TK, your'e best off to start in Production because it's all scored minor and you can't have more than 10 rounds in a magazine. Mag changes in USPSA are not based on total round count, but are done by arrays. Basically in Production if you are moving you are loading. 

As far as stage planning goes, you break it down into the arrays, than to each shot. Don't overthink it. Earn as many points as fast as you can without getting penalties Only hit factor counts, and the highest HF takes all the stage points, even if not earned.

4 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

TK, your'e best off to start in Production because it's all scored minor and you can't have more than 10 rounds in a magazine. Mag changes in USPSA are not based on total round count, but are done by arrays. Basically in Production if you are moving you are loading. 

As far as stage planning goes, you break it down into the arrays, than to each shot. Don't overthink it. Earn as many points as fast as you can without getting penalties Only hit factor counts, and the highest HF takes all the stage points, even if not earned.

This. In Production, SS, and L10 (and in your case, Limited), if you are moving, you are reloading. 

15 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

Welcome to success.  Pick a division that seems attractive, or try whichever divisions you have guns that fit, and then switch to revolver because its awesome.

Dr. Mitch I agree with you wholeheartedly. Revolver division is the way to go.

All joking aside, I have no experience in IDPA so I remain silent here, but seeing as how restrictive the rules are in NY, shooting revolver has a greater possibility of being competitive overall in that geographic region. Just wanted to offer it as a consideration.

1 hour ago, RevoWood123 said:

Dr. Mitch I agree with you wholeheartedly. Revolver division is the way to go.

All joking aside, I have no experience in IDPA so I remain silent here, but seeing as how restrictive the rules are in NY, shooting revolver has a greater possibility of being competitive overall in that geographic region. Just wanted to offer it as a consideration.

Seriously Open with 30 rounds "usually" means no reloads, Limited means planning, and Remembering your reloads (remembering 1 reload spot in a cof takes more memory than just reloading when you move), 10 round divisions means reloading every time you move which is easier to program and remember (and do well with, remember it's the "thinking" that slows us down) for most, last but not least are the 8 round divisions (SS & Rev Minor) still reload every time you move but must take care to get your shots.  And then for the really serious course schemer there's the Rev Major, going with 6 shots raises the game to a whole new level.

Been doing this stuff for quite a few decades and the 6 shot course break downs are fun, but take a good memory.

I've seen more have trouble with remembering where to reload with a Limited gun or 6 shot gun than with an 8/10 shot gun.

So don't stress, if you've been shooting IDPA you'll be more comfortable with Production or SS, whichever you have the gear for.

Edited by pskys2

1 hour ago, Jim Watson said:

What did you do to knock your Plastic M&P out of Production?  Can it be fixed?

It has APEX Aluminum trigger and a magwell.  I really wouldn't want to take that stuff off.  I would rather just buy another one. It has a APEX barrel also but that doesn't matter.  I have a HK VP9 that I could use in production.  

I would get a fowty if you are intent on limited, but again, I'd shoot your current blaster for 3 months before buying ANY gear.  your initial opinions will season and likely change.  I defected from IDPA back in may.  6 months in I am enjoying production due to the vibrant competition in the clubs I shoot at, but as a mater of principal I'd probably enjoy shooting limited with a 40 more.  I'm so heavily invested in my production rig I can't see making a change, but in 2018 I'm building a limited rig.  

I would pick a division in which you have meaningful competition.  Down here Production is biggest, followed by Limited, then far distant open.  If you can find a gun you like in whatever the popular division is then you are ready to rock. 

Edited by ArrDave

I highly recommend shooting L-10 in Minor for a few matches with the M&P, if you have enough mags and belt pouches (4 min, 5 common.) 

Don't go spend money right now when you don't know which division you'll want to be shooting in six months.

There will be tons of gear nuts at the matches eager to preach the gospel of their gun and their division. People who want to try to win you over to their favorite brand.

Ask around and people will practically shove their gun into your hands to test drive after the match. Take them up on it.

Then make an informed decision on divisions and gear.