Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger revolver rumor

Bosshoss

Ed Head posted about these on FaceBook. Both look interesting to me, but an eight shot Redhawk in .357 could have potential in USPSA Revolver Division. It will likely never have as good of a trigger as the S&Ws', but who know what might happen if Apex put some effort into it.

8 hours ago, cas said:

You're gonna want more barrel.  Unless you take a regular GP100 and mix and match the parts. 

201612170006225854817e29d67.jpg

Started to get excited about this, but once again Rugerr misses the mark

Edited by mwx40x40
Spelling

The post I saw did not have a picture of the Redhawk, just the 44Special GP100. I had assumed (and we all know what assume also means) that Ruger would offer the 8 shot Redhawk with at least a 4" barrel. Why they would want to introduce it with a barrel this short confuses me???? Hopefully down the line they will offer it with a 4 and 5 inch barrel.

2 hours ago, Gary1911A1 said:

Why they would want to introduce it with a barrel this short confuses me???? Hopefully down the line they will offer it with a 4 and 5 inch barrel.

It's obviously for the CCW market.  I bet it's light as a feather and hardly prints at all.   :)

But... I have a 686+ 2.5 inch, that is one of my favorite guns to shoot because of the adjustable sights and weight.  Also it looks like you will be able to replace the front sight on the Ruger with a fiber optic.

On 17/12/2016 at 8:02 PM, Bosshoss said:

Saw pictures of 8 shot .357 Redhawk online.

Also a .44 special GP100.

do not understand why Ruger don´t make it in 9x19 or .38 super with a 5" barrel it will be perfect for IPSC

Also, keep in mind you'll want those on the Super Redhawk platform for a gaming gun.  The Redhawk is a great design but not for USPSA style shooting.

I had a 44 Super Redhawk set-up for IDPA at around 6.5 lbs DA, you can't go much lower than about 8.5 lbs with a Redhawk due to the single spring design and that's with Fed. primers. 

20 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

Also, keep in mind you'll want those on the Super Redhawk platform for a gaming gun.  The Redhawk is a great design but not for USPSA style shooting.

I had a 44 Super Redhawk set-up for IDPA at around 6.5 lbs DA, you can't go much lower than about 8.5 lbs with a Redhawk due to the single spring design and that's with Fed. primers. 

What about those that like to do it the hard way?

So yeah the trigger will probably never be as nice as a good Smith but think about how soft the recoil will be with 38 Short Colt minor load in the humongous cast framed revolver.

(I mis-typed up there. the 357 IS a Redhawk, not a GP100. Making the "build your own" A lot harder. lol)

Ruger tends to sell as many of one model as possible before bringing out another version, so you're a couple years out. Or you could just pester Lipsey's for a longer one.  

Edited by cas

Since I shoot in competition (USPSA & IDPA) a Ruger Alaskan loaded with .45 Colt and a 2.5" barrel, I don't see a problem with the 8 shot .357 Mag Redhawk with a 2.75" barrel. It of course is less forgiving of shooter error, but that is something that can be worked on with training.

Would a 4" or 5" barrel be nice? Sure it would, but it could be used in competition as it is being released.

Howdy-  I have seen these on line, and see that most if not all the members commenting here do so from a competition based viewpoint, which is fine, but also NOT Ruger's main source of sales for double action revolvers, so on that count, good call by Ruger.  In  the past, I had pined for on of those N Frame S&Ws ( 8 or 10 shot, I forget which ) that was in .38 Super; gave up as it was made of Unobtainium, and I would not have carried something that big or expensive anyway.  Eventually, I found a S&W Model 24-3 .44 Special N frame.What an enjoyable gun to shoot! Still, far too uncommon to carry ( and to potentially taken in evidence if I was forced to use same ) , so continued to carry Glocks. Now Ruger comes out with these two. Both suitable for carry, though the 5 round capacity of the GP100 in .44 Special is one down, but it is smaller than the Redhawk boasting 8 rounds of .357. NO I would not feel either to be suitable for competition, unless in a Concealed carry style exercise. Just Sayin', if sales would support same, I could see a one time run of the 8 shot Redhawk in the future, but it would NOT be something anyone would simply be able to go out and buy on a whim- just like the added capacity Smith N Frames.

Edited by cowboy85306

On 12/27/2016 at 6:08 AM, Distant Thunder said:

While the barrel length that would be ideal for competition may not be so for concealed carry it certainly wouldn't preclude it from consideration as a possibility for a bedside/home defense gun, so we're not necessarily talking about a one trick pony here.

Agree not necessarily precluded on barrel length alone, but- when have you seen a competition gun that was considered ready to go straight out of the box based on barrel length alone all else being equal with a "standard" model ( Clearly, we are taking about Ruger revolvers here , not something from STI, or even S&W Performance Shop , which also may be massaged for better performance ) ?  Heck, even a Glock 34, with a somewhat better trigger from the factory, is NOT recommended to be used for defensive purposes likely for fear of being labeled as the tool of a murdering ambusher who tried to improve his chances of killing someone who didn't need to be killed. Of course, if you only have one, you use what you have and take your chances. As an aside, I had in recent months past, bought a Glock 34, and was astonished ( well, at the "Production" moniker, anyway ) at what it took to get it "Race Ready" for PRODUCTION class, in which you CAN use an out of the box gun ( from the approved list ), and if your skill level is absolutely Master Class,  you WILL be waxed by someone else who is near to your ability and has all the legal mods on his model 34 . To bring the aside into the current situation, if I where to buy such a revolver for Competition, I would be shooting it to assure no defects, then taking it to a master 'Smith to be made into a competition gun for the advantages it would afford me. Woe unto me if I subsequently used same in a defensive situation . From that standpoint, win the battle, lose the war. Even if not convicted for a premeditated shooting ( look at this gun, worked over to be a more efficient killing machine, and this guy waiting for his big chance to use it, justified or not ! Poor little Billy, who fell in with a bad crowd, was turning his life around ! ) the civil suits would be ruinous ( where a civil suit going to trial by jury requires only a simple majority to find for the plaintiff ) and you could lose everything except the clothes on your back, so to speak.  For me, box stock guns only for defense, the exception being better sights which arguably decrease risk to uninvolved third parties . Just sayin'