Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New CCP rules question

1911vm

I guess I was living under a rock  and did not realize about the  changes . I was actually told about it today.   Meanwhile I signed up to  shoot  at indoor nationals. will the new rules be active by then ? my CCP gun is to tall for the  new rules .  

can you use it in another division?  guessing the answer is yes but it won't be as competitive as the full size guns in that division.

i'm in the same boat, bought a 4"  wilson 1911 commander for carry and idpa ccp (for practice) and it looks like i'll be competing instead against full size guns if i want to use it, not very happy.

23 minutes ago, Thomas H said:

Send it back to Wilson, and tell him that since he make this gun illegal for the division in which he advertised it as working, you want a refund.  :)

Amen on that .  if mine was a Wilson I would definitely be doing that. 

27 minutes ago, Thomas H said:

Send it back to Wilson, and tell him that since he make this gun illegal for the division in which he advertised it as working, you want a refund.  :)

3 hours ago, 1911vm said:

i actually copied wilson combat when i sent my nastygram to idpa, because mine is a wilson, of course they just replied back saying there was nothing they could do...

Looks like she got ownership of IDPA the business, but he is still on the BoD.

Understand, folks, nothing has changed, there are the DRAFT rules and the comments on the comments by Bill and others that indicate some revisions to the draft.  Assuming the memo I helped circulate is not just an elaborate hoax.  The no-kneel classifer is not yet official.

If the Indoor is planning to use new rules in February, either they have an inside track on the publication date, or they are betting on the publication date and taking the chance of running on draft rules which would make it an outlaw shoot.

Are there enough of those full length butt - 4" barrel 1911oids out there that it would pay a gunsmith to devise a CCP liposuction?  Take a quarter inch off the butt and trim the magazine to fit The Small Box.  Is altering a gun to fit a given Division permissible?

Edited by Jim Watson

19 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

Are there enough of those full length butt - 4" barrel 1911oids out there that it would pay a gunsmith to devise a CCP liposuction?  Take a quarter inch off the butt and trim the magazine to fit The Small Box.  Is altering a gun to fit a given Division permissible?

Had similar thoughts about an XD, only misses by being 1/8" too tall. If you could shorten the mag a smidge then working down the plastic grip should not be a big issue. 

55 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Had similar thoughts about an XD, only misses by being 1/8" too tall. If you could shorten the mag a smidge then working down the plastic grip should not be a big issue. 

This is in the same vein as shortening commander barrels to fit CCP version 2015. It was not in the list of allowable modifications and its doubtful  that grip shortening will be in the list of allowable modifications version 2017. 

not to me they won't, no new guns just to fit in idpa divisions.

frankly the 4" commander i bought was in .45 even though i bought it to run in ccp, so it wasn't the most competitive choice but i bought it with the thought of carry gun primarily and being able to test/train/play with it in ccp.  using it in cdp i'll have a shorter sight radius and lighter gun but won't have the 9mm vs 45 caliber recoil disadvantage.  so all is not lost but still it is just wrong and bad biz to tighten specs up after they've been released and out there for a year or two.

yeah, my new (1 week before the rules revision) 4" Springfield 9mm CCP pistol just came back from warrantee repairs. It won't fit the new box so I signed up for ESP for the indoors. Not sure what I have that pistol for now. Maybe just a 1K safe queen/paperweight. All 4 of our previously BUG legal pistols are now CCP pistols, but not competitive against 4.3" barrels so they are out too. Total obsolescence cost for this household with the new rule changes will be around 5K.

I'm not too thrilled if these rules get cast in stone and I'm surely not alone.

JD

My problem is that the only classifier that I did this year is in CCP. I do not think I can switch to a different division. I am trying to get some one to just run one for me but no luck yet.

Edited by 1911vm

When you do have another classifier, ask that they use the score for all classes the gun will fit into.  I usually classify with an SSP gun and apply it to ESP.  When I classified for CCP (that gun is now too tall by 1/8 "), I had them use the time for SSP and ESP, since that gun also fit those classes.