Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Ordinance 16-40 limited?

Peterock

I'm looking to buy a dedicated Limited gun, on a budget of course, and have seen some great deals ($700) for Para 16-40s with mags and sights etc.. I'm curious what the general consensus on these guns for USPSA is as most reviews I've found seem to come from static range practice guys, not competition.  Should I use it until I upgrade and then use as a backup or just wait for an STI or CZ TS to pop up?  Is this a better option than a G35 build?  I had been shooting production with a Glock 17 but last match I shot in limited minor and just loaded stock mags to 17 for fun and I actually finished in the top 1/3 overall with 128 As out of 160.

If the gun is reliable and functional then you should be good to go until you can get the gun you really want.  My first real Limited 10 gun was a Dawson tuned P14-45.  Para 10 round mags suck ass, but this isn't an issue if you're shooting regular Limited.  thumb safety was a POS that didn't work right out of the box.  gutted the fire control parts and added a new ambi-safety.  gun worked OK until I bulged the barrel with a squib. 

I carry a Glock for work but I'm not a fan of it for Limited, mainly because of the trigger.  If the price is right on a P16 and the gun appears mechanically sound then go for it. 

with most para mags you add a dawson base and get 20 reloadable.  Grams guts will get you 21.  I think paras are great guns for limited on any budget if you are OK with the grip, it is  a fatter than an STI.

• 4 weeks later...

It's quite a bit more weight than the Glock typically and shoots differently. I've had the Para before as well as the G35. The para is good, and would be my choice, but it may require some tuning to get it 100%. Obviously the Glock just runs, but the Para you will have to be conscious of your spring weight, etc. At least that was the case with the one I had.

• 8 months later...