Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To stake or not to stake hammer pins

Hi_Im_Vinh

I recently purchased a CGW prod. legal hammer kit along with a new hammer strut and pins for my SP-01 , I was told that the pins would need to be staked in to be held in place . Another alternative to staking the pins was to apply red loctite on the pins .

I'm seeking advice from those that have installed a hammer onto a strut , I also went ahead and purchased CGW RRK type 2 and their SRS FPB lifter ; did anyone polish the disconnector from the RRK ? 

Thanks in advance to those who chime in

Edited by Hi_Im_Vinh

On 12/17/2016 at 6:21 PM, rowdyb said:

stake them yes.

no polish on that part of hammer. polish flat part of sear instead. only part i polish on hammer is the sides where the pins go through that is inside the frame.

I've thought about it more and will go ahead and stake them, as far as polishing the hammer goes .... I did go ahead and polish the sides of hammer that contacts inside frame... was considering doing the part of the hammer that sits on sear when gun is in SA mode. 

8 hours ago, Hi_Im_Vinh said:

I've thought about it more and will go ahead and stake them, as far as polishing the hammer goes .... I did go ahead and polish the sides of hammer that contacts inside frame... was considering doing the part of the hammer that sits on sear when gun is in SA mode. 

I don't see how polishing the hammer where it contacts the seat can hurt you, unless you take off too much metal.  But that holds the same for every part and surface that requires polishing and not sanding/stoning.   But what do you think polishing that part of the hammer will achieve for you, extra smoothness?

14 hours ago, MissionaryMike said:

I don't see how polishing the hammer where it contacts the seat can hurt you, unless you take off too much metal.  But that holds the same for every part and surface that requires polishing and not sanding/stoning.   But what do you think polishing that part of the hammer will achieve for you, extra smoothness?

Yes I'm just aiming for a smoother trigger that's all 

3 hours ago, Timido said:

Are you staking CGW pins?  I loctited  mine. I thought those pins were too hard to stake

They are the factory hammer pins I believe , how has your pins been holding up since the loctite has been applied?

Edited by Hi_Im_Vinh