Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 Powder monitor

Big thanks to TennJeep1618 for the idea. I hooked up a backup camera to my 650. It's super easy to monitor if I charged the case. Cost about $70 for parts on Amazon. Maybe $10 more for some hardware.

camera1.jpg

camera2.jpg

camera3.jpg

I did something similar on my 1050, after adding the bullet feeder I lost the powder check unless I wanted to seat/crimp in the same station - so I picked up a handheld inspection camera off amazon and mounted it to the CF upright.  Smaller monitor than yours, but works fine :).

Kd8BixUh.jpg

Edited by 78Staff

Great project and well done!  I've been looking into doing something similar to my 650 but would like to use an old iPhone as the monitor. Anyone know of or use a wifi or Bluetooth camera that would be compatible?  I'd like to use the phone instead of dishing out more $ for a monitor. 

1 hour ago, lksyotas said:

Great project and well done!  I've been looking into doing something similar to my 650 but would like to use an old iPhone as the monitor. Anyone know of or use a wifi or Bluetooth camera that would be compatible?  I'd like to use the phone instead of dishing out more $ for a monitor. 

Something like this might work - I had posted this in the 1050 Powder monitor thread...  Wifi though, not bluetooth.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB144YT9523&cm_re=inspection_camera_android-_-9SIAB144YT9523-_-Product

On 12/18/2016 at 8:53 PM, Youngeyes said:

Thanks. This will be my next project. I just finished a led round counter with ir eye wired up like the inline fab light kit I have. May have to talk with inline see if they want to buy the plans ?. Came out clean and factory looking. 

3 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Thanks. This will be my next project. I just finished a led round counter with ir eye wired up like the inline fab light kit I have. May have to talk with inline see if they want to buy the plans ?. Came out clean and factory looking. 

I've been thinking about adding one - I actually have the old style Dillon counter with the dials - but I don;t think it works on the new.current Dillon dies, only the old style?  Would be interested in hearing about your project.  I see one on the big auction site all the time, looks like it was printed in one of those 3D printers - I'm sure it works fine but seemed like a lot of extra hardware compared to the Dillon.

Dillon_Round_Counter.jpg

UniqueTek has a slick looking one but it's over 100 bones... Bascially I've just been going by how many times I refill primers which gets me pretty close, but would be nice to know. ;).

Edited by 78Staff

6 hours ago, 78Staff said:

I've been thinking about adding one - I actually have the old style Dillon counter with the dials - but I don;t think it works on the new.current Dillon dies, only the old style?  

I have an older style analog counter similar to the one you posted except mine has the thru hole mount that the die goes through and clamps down on when tightened.  It was a royal pain to adjust on the crimp die station and is hard to see with the bullet feeder installed so I'm thinking about removing it.  Would like to go to a IR style that detects the rounds as they eject from the shell plate into the bin but don't want to break the bank on the cost also.  

11 hours ago, 78Staff said:

I've been thinking about adding one - I actually have the old style Dillon counter with the dials - but I don;t think it works on the new.current Dillon dies, only the old style?  Would be interested in hearing about your project.  I see one on the big auction site all the time, looks like it was printed in one of those 3D printers - I'm sure it works fine but seemed like a lot of extra hardware compared to the Dillon.

Dillon_Round_Counter.jpg

UniqueTek has a slick looking one but it's over 100 bones... Bascially I've just been going by how many times I refill primers which gets me pretty close, but would be nice to know. ;).

Pm. Sent 

• 3 weeks later...

The IR sensors run on 2 AA batteries and the monitor is hooked to a 12V DC adapter. The key to making it work is to get the sensors in the right place. You'll need to experiment. The thin metal I put on top of the chute is to force the round to slide through. Sometimes the round would bounce over the beam until I used the metal hood..

I drilled and tapped a small hole and attached the camera with the mount it came with. I screwed a metal end cap on top of the 3/4 pipe and drilled a hole to attach a bolt to the  monitor.I also used the hole in the pipe to run the wires down to go under the bench. I'll get some extra pics later.

Picture 1 shows the bolt coming up from the end cap. Pic 2 shows a micro switch I used to turn on/off the camera. The black odd shape metal is something that I had lying around. I used it as a platform for the switch.You can use anything you want.

bolt1.jpg

bolt2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2016 at 10:39 PM, Youngeyes said:

Big thanks to TennJeep1618 for the idea. I hooked up a backup camera to my 650. It's super easy to monitor if I charged the case. Cost about $70 for parts on Amazon. Maybe $10 more for some hardware.

camera1.jpg

camera2.jpg

camera3.jpg

Awesome idea!

On 1/19/2017 at 9:58 PM, vtecpaoche said:

I like this idea.  It looks like the power adaptor is sold out.  

Would something like this work?  Probably a bit excessive as you only need two plugs instead of 4 but it is a combo splitter and power supply.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019LV4NNI?psc=1

Anything with a 12v DC current will work. You can also just splice in the +&- wires from the monitor and the camera. Hook up  to the same power adapter without the splitter.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Tenjeep and Youngeyes work, I got mine installed tonite. Don't have the space that Youngeyes does, so it's a bit crowded, but it will work just fine. Especially when I put the MBF on it! Not nearly as much room as some of you, but it works.

IMG_0490.JPG

Detail of the camera mount: 2mm tapped hole works great!

IMG_0491.JPG