Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitment of Tanfo frame and various grips

MissionaryMike

So...

My new Henning contour grips came in the mail today.  The grips won't fit on the frame.  Seem like the holes in the frame and grip panels don't line up...neither side.  Do you guys think this is a grip issue or yet another Tanfoglio horrible tolerance issue?

-MM

20 minutes ago, ARy said:

Exactly. Push harder, OP.

I've been there, done that, participated in it. Push.

Photo_2016-10-05_09-14-05_PM_zps5o08xluk

Whoa.  I don't have tools like those.  But you were right !!  I took a round file to the holes on the grip panels and opened them up a bit.  I did end up laying the gun on the table as well in order to push and turn with more force.

Nothing comes easy with a Tanfo.  Not even grips.  All worth it though??

i'm waiting on a package from Henning as well , grips for Witness Limited. As you push the grips forward toward the trigger guard and get the screw in, do you see any problems with the mag release being interfered with?  or problems dropping mags? 

2 hours ago, Makdaddy said:

i'm waiting on a package from Henning as well , grips for Witness Limited. As you push the grips forward toward the trigger guard and get the screw in, do you see any problems with the mag release being interfered with?  or problems dropping mags? 

The Henning grips on my Stock 3 literally drop right on and the screws start effortlessly. For the record.

36 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The Henning grips on my Stock 3 literally drop right on and the screws start effortlessly. For the record.

All my CZ grips drop in easily. But having had this experience with the Tanfo screw holes, I actually prefer the tighter fit.  The misaligned holes I could have done without though.  

2 hours ago, PatriotDefense said:

This is the main reason we haven't released our grips yet..... If we could get more consistent machining tolerances from Tanfo i think we would have more grip options out there.....

Honestly, Joe, if you drill out the holes on your grip panels with just the tiniest bit more clearance  to accommodate for Tanfoglio's less predictable tolerances, and include shake washers, I think all will be fine. 

5 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

Honestly, Joe, if you drill out the holes on your grip panels with just the tiniest bit more clearance  to accommodate for Tanfoglio's less predictable tolerances, and include shake washers, I think all will be fine. 

Thats half of the issue we've seen.... The leading edge that the lip of the grip engages is another big problem we've seen. I just hate grips that constantly loosen up during use unless you use some kind of thread lock....

24 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

And please for the love of god, clearance the right side grip for the roll pin of an ambi safety, so that it doesn't have to be removed in order to detail strip the gun!

thanks Memphis, is the clearance issue for the ambi roll pin a general issue with all Tanfo's , or just particular to the Stock III?  This is my first Tanfo so i'm deep in the weeds here , trying to iron out what needs to be done.. turning out to be quite a list!   I have been through your Tanfo Bible thread a few times and appreciate you doing that btw... very helpful

39 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

Yeah, i'm hoping some of the tolerance issues don't pop on my first go 'round with Tanfo.. but it is what it is , i have my file kit and dremel ready to go!

Perhaps mine is weird, but every grip I have purchased for my Lim Pro (save for the Toni System grips that were made for a small frame Tanfo)
Have bolted on perfectly.
Scales, lava, wood.
Not sure if others have fitting issues with the scale grips... if not, I would make yours the same dimensions (but with a nice palm swell!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I found some time this weekend to fit my Henning contour grips on my new Limited and take a range trip. I was braced for a battle with the grips to get a proper fit, had a file and dremel ready. Turns out all i needed was a torx wrench. They slide right on and holes lined up perfectly. I just got the gun a week ago and fired 200rds of factory white box and some PMC.  Gun ran great  , but had 1 mag stick and it was the one that came with the gun. Going to give it a squeeze in the vice , all other MecGar mags with Henning base pads worked perfectly, no hangups and fed great. 

IMG_20161226_120749024.jpg

^ agreed!  my henning grips all lined up perfectly and tightened down, but neef locktite blue to stay tight. On the other hand .... every set of EG xtreme grips needed the hole modified to allow the  screw to start  straight.

I also have over 20 mags and every one drops out frictionlessly.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning Gentlemen,

I have a LC bought in june 2015 and stamped 2015; I ordered a pair of X-treme grips in december 2016 and, upon installation, poor fit :gaps are clearly visible. 

I spent this week-end some time with Eric Grauffel by E-mail.

It appears my frame, although stamped 2015, is indeed a 2016 model, produced end of 2015 and stamped 2015. 

2016 produced grips fit 2015 frames but 2015 produced grips don't fit 2016 frames.

I ordered new panels and let you know upon receipt.

Dan

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Makdaddy said:

I found some time this weekend to fit my Henning contour grips on my new Limited and take a range trip. I was braced for a battle with the grips to get a proper fit, had a file and dremel ready. Turns out all i needed was a torx wrench. They slide right on and holes lined up perfectly. I just got the gun a week ago and fired 200rds of factory white box and some PMC.  Gun ran great  , but had 1 mag stick and it was the one that came with the gun. Going to give it a squeeze in the vice , all other MecGar mags with Henning base pads worked perfectly, no hangups and fed great. 

IMG_20161226_120749024.jpg

Mine fit perfectly also.they are great but kind of expensive.

Now just need to shoot more

On 1/10/2017 at 9:40 AM, DanRR said:

Good morning Gentlemen,

I have a LC bought in june 2015 and stamped 2015; I ordered a pair of X-treme grips in december 2016 and, upon installation, poor fit :gaps are clearly visible. 

I spent this week-end some time with Eric Grauffel by E-mail.

It appears my frame, although stamped 2015, is indeed a 2016 model, produced end of 2015 and stamped 2015. 

2016 produced grips fit 2015 frames but 2015 produced grips don't fit 2016 frames.

I ordered new panels and let you know upon receipt.

Dan

I think I have the same problem but reversed.

EGD Large frame bought from a forum member, said acquired them in 2016. My Match according to serial was imported 8/2015. Gaps along the back and upper corner.

gdirD9q.jpg

mg1OhyI.jpg

Good afternoon Gentlemen,

I just received and installed the new grips from EGD : perfect fit.

I compared the two cards in the plastic pouches of both sets of grips : absolutely identical, no dating or warning of any kind.

So, if there is no model year on the cards and, if, like my pistol , the stamping is 2015 but is a 2016 model, we are set for some aggrievation.

If you buy from a dealer, better send him an outline of the original grip or make sure he knows the differences.

Idem if you buy from another colleague.

The 2016 grips clearly have a different curvature along the back strap and, when you know, easy to make the difference.

Dan