Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR 9mm Side Charger

I only mentioned the Aug to point out that was my first experience with the left side charging handle, the MK3000 to point out it has a left side charging handle (from MOA).  You are correct in the "different strokes for different folks" and I should probably mention that I don't have a PCC firearm, nor intend to.  I did shoot in the first USPSA three gun match at PASA - with the AUG - and a number here and there since, so have had a little experience in that area.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/16/2016 at 1:12 PM, Sarge said:

So, $155 but I can get a side charge upper for $235? I'm not sure that makes sense except that it could be swapped out on other AR's I suppose.

Crap, now I'm going to spend even more on a PCC I will probably only compete with once or twice a year for fun. Darn you guys!!!

Well, so much for that! My daughter asked me if I wanted anything else for Christmas in the $150 range. Ordered the devil dog Hardcharger today. 

I like mine, big time.  I installed it yesterday morning and have been playing around with it enough to know that it is a well made product that will allow me to keep my shooting hand on the pistol grip at all times.  I'm having to learn an overhand grasp on the charging handle so my index finger is pointed down to depress the bolt catch, but that's no big deal. The side charger handle is just in the right position for giving you clearance to scoop the carbine up for table starts.  Once the bolt is locked back you still need to run and latch the charging handle forward just as you would with the traditional charging handle, but again, no big deal.  You can rack the bolt while the AR is shouldered without your hand bashing you in the nose.  With me the charging handle (not the side charging handle, the T shaped one at the rear) just lightly touches my lip.This may come in handy if a tap-rack-bang is ever needed.  I'll do some more structured dry fire with it and get some live fire on it later this week.  Unfortunately my favorite USPSA club is taking a "Winter" beak until the March match so practice is all I'll get with it for a couple of months.

Yes, it is well worth the money to me and I'd buy it all over again.  In fact, I'm now going to buy one for my 5.56 and I've been using AR traditional charging handles since 1968 :)

11 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Matrix_Arms_9MM_Side_Charging_Upper_p/ma-9mm-sidecharge.htm

I have the Matrix Arms side charging upper, goes for $200.00 which isn't bad at all. 

It's well made, smooth operating and eliminates the T handle completely. It's got me almost convinced that I need one for my 5.56 AR.

Hello: That is the one I am looking at. It seems well thought out and built. Just waiting for them to build some more. Thanks, Eric

4 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: That is the one I am looking at. It seems well thought out and built. Just waiting for them to build some more. Thanks, Eric

Only issue I have is no LRBHO. Only matters to me because Kalifornia will soon (July 2017) be a 10 round magazine only state. Other than that, it does everything it's supposed to.

Hello: I am using a bottom insert Hahn magazine block and Metalform Colt SMG mags so they lock the bolt back with the stock AR15 catch. I am not sure if the Glock or Colt style lower will be better for you guys out there. Easy to find 10 round Glock mags fairly cheaply. Metalform 10 round mags will cost a lot more I think. Base pads with no added rounds can be had from TTI for both the Glock and Metalform magazines since they can use the same one. Should be intersesting what will appear at Shot Show in the way of new PCC's. Thanks, Eric

My Hardcharger from Devil Dog Concepts arrived today. What a great product! I can't imagine racking on the clock without it. For $139 bucks delivered its well worth it.So far I have only dry fired it a little but charging without letting go of the pistol grip is the way to go. If I ever build more AR's I'll use side charging uppers but I might get another one of these for my main AR.

I'm not Sarge, but here's a video of the DD side charger in action.  Click on the picture to the right of the page.

http://www.devildogconcepts.com/hard-charger.html

You'll see the guy racking the bolt with both over hand and under hand.  In the military (at least USMC) we had it hammered into our heads to always charge underhanded so that if a round cooked off while your hand was on the charging handle your thumb/web wouldn't be broken.  I'm learning overhand so my finger is pointed down to engage the bolt catch with the bolt held back with the charging handle.  My DD side charger continues to get smoother.  It was very usable from the first, but does get even smoother with some breaking in.  I had to pay the whole retail $154.00 shipped and consider it a great deal.  Sarge got it for $139.00 shipped..WOW?  

One of my competition rifles in 2016 had the Gibbz Arms Side charging upper on it.

Every gun getting built for 2017 will have their side charging upper also.

I am sold, no need to break cheek weld to run the bolt, no gas blowback (even with suppressor). IT is truly a game changer for me.

Gibbz

First few pics are to show that it's not really a huge chunk of stuff hanging off the rifle. Also, I just noticed the charging handle is protruding out the back because I have a chamber plug in. It's normally flush like normal.

Looks like a cool idea.  I had an Anderson Sport upper on mine.  I then put a New Frontier Side charge upper on when it came available.   I like the side charger alot.  I shoot left and right handed.   I have a Phase5 ambidextrous bolt release. The bolt release makes holding the bolt open and dropping the bolt easy.   Best thing about the side charger is I don't get blowback in my face like I did with the traditional charge handle

1 hour ago, Mulligan03 said:

Anyone know if it will fit on mpx?

It's a direct replacement for the charging handle on an AR 15. Must have rail on top at front of receiver to attach to. Don't know how MPX is set up.