Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting USPSA.. Stopping Power Pistol.. Suggestiions?

taymag

Heard about this forum for years but never quite made it over here. I figured it may be the place for this question... By the way I love the sign up question "Why did the chicken cross the road? (spell answer backwards)" lol

So I assume switching away from Power Pistol is probably best for competition.

What are your favorite powder recommendations for 125gr and 147gr poly coated lead? I am shooting at night now so the PP flash isnt helping much. Not sure if ill be shooting 125gr or 147gr but I'd like to bring the kick down a little.

Thanks!

Back when powder wasn't hard to find and we all had the choice between all the powders, W231 (and it's identical brother HP-38) was a "go to" powder for many calibers, very versatile. I used it a lot, then when the run on guns and reloading supplies started after a certain event in 2012, it became unavailable. I then had to go searching for a new "go to" powder. I finally settled on Autocomp and CFE pistol. Now that 231 is becoming available again, I haven't been tempted to switch back because Autocomp is working so well. I think 231 is more versatile than AC but I only have 2 loads (9 minor and 9 major) so that's not a consideration. I use the CFE for minor and the AC for major. I find that CFE doesn't work as well in major (at least for me).

With the 147s I'd use Titegroup, Bullseye, or Reddot.

I've mostly abandoned lighter bullets. Bullseye worked well enough.

I have not done a lot of experimenting, just found powders that delivered what I wanted and ran them.

23 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

Back when powder wasn't hard to find and we all had the choice between all the powders, W231 (and it's identical brother HP-38) was a "go to" powder for many calibers, very versatile. I used it a lot, then when the run on guns and reloading supplies started after a certain event in 2012, it became unavailable. I then had to go searching for a new "go to" powder. I finally settled on Autocomp and CFE pistol. Now that 231 is becoming available again, I haven't been tempted to switch back because Autocomp is working so well. I think 231 is more versatile than AC but I only have 2 loads (9 minor and 9 major) so that's not a consideration. I use the CFE for minor and the AC for major. I find that CFE doesn't work as well in major (at least for me).

I started reloading after those events, was lucky enough to score some Titegroup and N320, pretty much all I use now with 147's.

Titegroup is dirtier, and keeps the barrel hot.  Love N320, just wish it was cheaper.

~g

13 hours ago, igolfat8 said:

WSF and TG are my 9mm go to powders of choice. n320 is decent if you can find it?

N320 is available right now at a lot of places online. Powder Valley being one. Definitely not cheap compared to other options, but cleaner and very soft shooting.

N320, WSF, and Ramshot Comp are all good ones with 147 Bayous. WSF is very dirty at minor PF. YMMV

Sticking to powders suitable for 124 and 147 and assuming coated bullets:

WST is a good one. Soft. Average cleanliness and smoke in muzzle blast behind coated.

Nobel Sport Prima V may be my new favorite and is very cheap through powder valley. Leaves gun spotless. Average smoke. Very soft recoil.

N320 is good but quite expensive. Leaves gun spotless. Soft recoil. Light smoke.

Titegroup works, but is very smoky and leaves the gun with hard to clean baked on carbon deposits. Somewhat soft recoil.

Ramshit Competition is soft and average smoke. Doesn't burn consistently in my guns loaded on a 650 and has been relegated to practice ammo. Very dirty gun afterward.

(Anything slower burning that this group is not listed because I don't use it for light competition loads. 231, HS-6, WSF, and bullseye all have a pinch more recoil than the listed powders.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Titegroup is good.  Doesn't smoke as bad as some people say with poly coated lead.  Pretty much any VihtaVuori powder between N320 and N350 will work with various 9mm bullet weights as well and it burns darn clean.  My current 9mm minor load is 3.0gr of Titegroup under a 147gr BBI at 1.10 OAL.  Right at 130 PF

4.8grs of HS-6 and 147gr whether it be plated, lead, or coated is a dead nutz load. Gives me 885FPS coated and 949FPS with lead.

And it's not my first choice for my major load in my open gun, that would be Silhouette, but I have used to work up major loads and it will run my open gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk