Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using open gun comps on PCC?

it would be beneficial to differentiate between scope/dot movement reduction vs. recoil reduction when describing the value of a comp/muzzle brake...I observe a noticeable reduction in scope movement when I shoot my 16" PCC (148 pf) with a Miculek style brake than without it...I can't tell much difference in recoil reduction

I agree that with a PCC shooting minor it is about the dot bounce.  I've tried a couple (and bare barreled) and can tell a difference in how the dot moves.  I don't see that the juice would be worth the squeeze to go to great lengths to machine a custom muzzle brake/comp unless you are wanting to cut weight and go the Ti route.   There are some good options out there for less than $50 that work.  One of the ones I tried was 20 bucks shipped off ebay and it worked fine, but is a little heavy at 3.6 oz. due to the diameter (I may get that turned down to lighten it up an try it again).  The PSA comp is Miculek like and makes a noticeable difference in dot bounce, and is fairly light at 2.25 oz.   So far my favorite is the Kaw valley linear comp.  It feels lighter than the PSA (on the gun and can't measure right now) and seems to tame the dot bounce...I wasn't expecting that with this muzzle brake.  On thing about having a muzzle brake with side ports is that it helps the timer to pick up shots. Shot a classifier last week and had a good run on a speed stage and timer didn't pick up the last shot with the Kaw Valley comp.  Reshoot wasn't horrible, but I would have taken the first run given a choice.