Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post Ream - OAL?

SCTaylor

I didn't think this question was worthy of its own thread, but I'm curious - what OAL are you guys achieving/loading to after having your barrels reamed by Beven or whoever else?  I'm especially curious about coated lead 147 FP, but all info is appreciated. 

I think it is worthy (insert Wayne's World reference), a lot of people probably have/had this question, I did.

Beven requested some dummy rounds with the barrel. So along with the barrels went a few samples of Black Bullets 125 and SNS 125 at 1.15". I imagine he will ream the barrel to let those rounds plunk and spin.  Lone Star Innovations did the same for a CZ barrel.  My barrel went out to Beven just this past Wednesday, expect it back this weekend.

As many know and has been stated here before, Tanfo chamber specs are all over the place. It's a good idea to have it trued up regardless if you're okay loading short. It's cheap insurance and eliminates one big variable in tuning our guns.

Edited by SCTaylor

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also note, ARy, that a Manson and Chymler reamer failed to cut my polygonally rifled Stock 3 barrel. Wouldn't even reach the lands before the pilot stopped in the barrel.

When you get your barrel back note how much more loosely your old short ammo will fit, too. In addition to lengthening the throat to load longer ammo, Bevin's reamer definitely cleaned up my insanely tight chamber.

I sent a pair of dummies (135 RN and 150gr SWC) loaded to 1.160" and they both spin effortlessly now. I planned to load both to 1.125 through 1.150 - whatever proves most accurate - so I have plenty of cushion.

Interesting that a regular throating cutter won't work, I haven't tried my Pacific Tool one on a Tanfo barrel yet. My Limited doesn't like PD HP profile bullets unless they are loaded short. With regular round nose profile I can load out to 1.155 before they start hitting the lands, so I just load them to 1.145 and call it a day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I can load to 1.150" any of the bullets I commonly use SNS, Bayou, Blue.  Beven does a great job.  As mentioned I understand he has his throaters custom ground.  I wanted him to do my PCC for that reason and he said he would have no problem doing that, but the shipping costs were a deal breaker.  

32 minutes ago, MrPostman said:

Interesting that a regular throating cutter won't work, I haven't tried my Pacific Tool one on a Tanfo barrel yet. My Limited doesn't like PD HP profile bullets unless they are loaded short. With regular round nose profile I can load out to 1.155 before they start hitting the lands, so I just load them to 1.145 and call it a day.

I ended up ordering a Pacific Tool carbide finishing reamer in 9mm. That worked on the S2 barrel, but was REALLY slow in the cutting process since I did that completely by hand. Then again, my small frames were built 4 or 5 years ago, so I have no idea if the chamber dimensions were as weird as the current crop.

I did find that I needed a smaller pilot than what was provided. I initially had a .350" OD pilot, and I needed a .338" pilot before the reamer would engage. I'd assume that's the issue you're running into with the clymers and manson reamers if you're running them with a fixed instead of free-floating pilot.

3 minutes ago, haiedras said:

I initially had a .350" OD pilot, and I needed a .338" pilot before the reamer would engage. I'd assume that's the issue you're running into with the clymers and manson reamers if you're running them with a fixed instead of free-floating pilot.

That's exactly what it was. A poly-rifled barrel needs an even smaller pilot than conventional. My S3 is polygonal, and both reamers I tried utilize fixed pilots.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Yeah, I probably should've measured it more exactly, but I did a rough caliper measurement between the lands and the grooves, estimated a bit lower for tightness, and sent that to PT&G. Probably not as tight as it could be to ensure concentricity, but since I was going sloth slow on the reaming, it was good enough.

I ended up ordering a Pacific Tool carbide finishing reamer in 9mm. That worked on the S2 barrel, but was REALLY slow in the cutting process since I did that completely by hand. Then again, my small frames were built 4 or 5 years ago, so I have no idea if the chamber dimensions were as weird as the current crop.

I did find that I needed a smaller pilot than what was provided. I initially had a .350" OD pilot, and I needed a .338" pilot before the reamer would engage. I'd assume that's the issue you're running into with the clymers and manson reamers if you're running them with a fixed instead of free-floating pilot.

I have the live pilot version throater, my other reamers are by Pacific Tool as well so I can just switch out the pilots from another reamer if I find one will not fit. They do sell custom sized pilots as well if you run into a case where you need an undersized one. Very good company and their cutters are excellent. I generally use a Lathe to do reaming but I have done them by hand as well. Some barrels require a Lathe like my Scheumann in my STI, others like the STI barrels I have done could be done by hand.

Whats the best way to get in touch with Bevin?

Here you go

Grams Engineering

2435 Norse Ave.

Costa Mesa, CA 92627

phone: 949-548-3745

fax: 949-548-8122

email: teamge@gramsengineering.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Make sure to put a note with your information in the box when you send the barrel.  Beven is silly fast, received my barrel on a Monday and it was back in the mail Tuesday evening. I can't say he is always that quick, but it's danged impressive.

Edited by SCTaylor

Mine is going out. My local guy couldn't get it done. I shoot blue bullet 147s and they are loaded to 1.138 and they don't plunk and spin. 

I tried some others and it was rough. Strangely enough freedom 115 and 147 both plunk and spin. 

Edited by Nathanb

26 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

blue bullet 147s  loaded to 1.138  don't plunk. 

Strangely enough freedom 115 and 147 both . 

Each bullet has to "pass The Plunk Test".   Just because Freedoms' 147 passes

at 1.138" doesn't mean (obviously) the BB 147's will - have to shorten them up a bit

and try TPT again.   :) 

Beven told me you can load as long as our magazine can handle. Also post ream my weird 1/300 extraction issue went away. Guess when the last 2 of 3 extraction issue occured? A stage at Area 8 and Mid Atlantic Section of course!

Pre ream I ran a 1.13" OAL on 145gr RN by Ibejiheads. With +/- 0.005" variance.

Now 124gr CN at 1.14"