Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SMK 69gr Load recommendations?

rootacres

I am new to reloading .223 but new to reloading in general. My rifle is an 18" Nordic components 1:8 chambered in .223 wylde with mixed brass. Whats everyones concotions? 

Primer? Powder type? Load? OAL?

Thanks for the help in advance. 

1. I wouldn't use mixed brass with the Sierra 69 grain SMK because you will have "mixed" accuracy. I use mixed brass for blasting ammo at 50 yards.

2. Below Sierra load data and as you will see Varget is a good choice for the 69 grain bullet.

223 Rem + 223 AI Cartridge Guide

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/

I buy bulk once fired Lake City brass and sort for uniformity and prep for my A2 HBAR and .223 Savage bolt action.

.223/5.56 - Cleaned, Deprimed & Swaged - LC Only - 500 Pieces $59.00 free shipping

http://brassbombers.com/223-556-Cleaned-Deprimed-Swaged-LC-Only-500-Pieces-2LC-S0050.htm

Edited by bigedp51

My 18" bbl is the most accurate with 69gr SMK, if memory serves, over 22.5 - 24gr Varget depending on the primer.  However, I have to go slow loading with Varget due to it bridging often. 

So, being lazy, I've found that the same charge of WC844 (H335 equivalent) that I use behind Hornady 55gr for my go to match load works well for the 69 SMK to make the longer flashers move more.  I load the 55's to the cannelure on cases trimmed to 1.75".  The SMK I load to OAL of 2.24. 

This may not work well for your rifle but you already know that since you aren't new to reloading.

• 2 weeks later...

Ramshot tac is my favorite powder for the .223. It meters perfectly on the Dillon. Somewhere between 23.7-24 grains is the sweet spot for the 69SMK. Using virgin Winchester brass and 24 grains is my favorite load. It works in several different rifles I have.

• 3 weeks later...

Heres my load. should'nt be too much different from 69g COAL 2.250" with Lapua Match brass Fed SRP. I used a trickle powder drop to ensure consistency. I also have a 18" 1:7 twist FN barrel>

IMG_2263.JPG

Edited by jetdriver71

• 1 month later...

I have not experimented that much with powders or charge weights.  I basically just picked a charge weight out of the reloading manuals.  So for the 69gr SMK's, I used 22 grains of H335.  I made easily 200 rounds with that combination.  Maybe 300.

Then I pulled another charge weight out of the reloading manuals for the 77SMK's.  That was...get this...22.5 grains of H335.

Seems kinda bass ackwards doesn't it?

Again, I just cranked out 200 or 300 rounds like that.

I haven't had a chance to chrono these rounds either.

All of it was Lake City once fired brass.

I got the brass from Fast and Friendly brass sales.  It has been cleaned, deprimed, trimmed, and swaged, so I just drop it into the hopper of my 650's casefeeder.

I did buy 75 grain Hornady's from Hi-Tech ammo.  They were running about half price of what the 69/77gr SMKs are running.

I have also used the Nosler 69 grainers which again, are cheaper than the SMKs.

Maybe one of these days I will actually get around to doing a proper OCW or ladder test.

I did a ladder when I was going to get into service rifle and found that 24gr of Reloader 15 produced great results.  That load also shoots good in my 18" 3-Gun AR so I stuck with it.  I load on a Dillon 650 and only use LC brass.

I run 24gr of IMR 8208 XBR with 68gr Hornady BTHP, mixed brass, CCI 400 primers.  Consistently lays down groups sub 1/2" from my 18" Green Mtn 8 twist barreled AR.  I suspect the 69gr SMKs would be very similar.  The nice thing about this load?  8208 will run through a drop very easily and accurately, so progressive loading is a reality, where as 4895, Varget, etc are not a reality and a complete PITA for any volume of loading needed.

Because pics are good:

https://goo.gl/photos/6oyLVosBoMxEsWhS8

5 shot group at .430", without the "flyer" the group would have been sub .250"

Cant hot link in photos from Google Photos, ugg...

^^^  That's funny...

I have loaded thousands of rounds with Varget in 223 and 308 for 3gun on my 1050, and know lots of people who also do it on progressives for bulk loading. I also use 4895 with 308 for 3gun ammo. I just finished 2k rounds today with varget in 308, getting throws +- 0.1 grain.

All you have to do is polish the powder funnel and the slide in a Dillon powder measure, or use a RCBS powder measure with case activated linkage.

There is no reason not to use the powder you want to use because of people spreading a misconception thatextruded powder will not flow well in a progressive...it can be done and done well.

jmho

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Not to derail this thread, but I have noticed that I get flyers from my AR's with the first or top round stripped off the magazine and then the last round out of the magazine.  I started shooting 7 round groups, and then I just pay attention to the middle 5 rounds that were shot.

15 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

^^^  That's funny...

I have loaded thousands of rounds with Varget in 223 and 308 for 3gun on my 1050, and know lots of people who also do it on progressives for bulk loading. I also use 4895 with 308 for 3gun ammo. I just finished 2k rounds today with varget in 308, getting throws +- 0.1 grain.

All you have to do is polish the powder funnel and the slide in a Dillon powder measure, or use a RCBS powder measure with case activated linkage.

There is no reason not to use the powder you want to use because of people spreading a misconception thatextruded powder will not flow well in a progressive...it can be done and done well.

jmho

jj

I never said Varget was a bad powder, but for 223 its actually a pretty poor choice in my opinion and I was simply providing a viewpoint that says 8208 is a great option for someone that is just starting out as its easy to use, and very very accurate.  I wouldnt consider any powder that will not reliably run thru a powder measure with 0 issues to be a good powder for someone starting out.  

I dont consider +/- .1 to be very good actually by the way.  On a 10 or 20 drop check, I want no more than a .05gr difference max being semi acceptable.  With 8208 or any ball powder, I can hit those numbers with my Hornady drop which has been polished to a mirror shine internally.  I still trickle all my long grain powders by hand, or with my CM.  This includes H4895, H4198, H4350, and Varget, as all are long grain.

Varget is a little long burning for an autoloading rifle with a shorter barrel so incomplete powder burn is very likely, not to mention extremely high gas port pressures on anything shorter than a rifle length gas system.  If you dig around Hornady did an excellent comparison using their Superformance rounds showing that long burning powders in autoloading rifles are generally a bad idea.  4895 is probably a far better choice as it burns a little faster, but 8208 meters more easily, smaller grained, which in turn allows for higher velocity as you can get more in the case.  There is a reason people have found that with 68-77gr bullets 8208 offers the best accuracy and velocity 19 times out of 20 in an AR.  Now maybe, and this is a big maybe, a bolt gun with a very heavy charge of Varget, with a 22-26" barrel, Varget might offer better performance as it will have enough barrel to offer a full burn to get full velocity.

I use Varget in my 308 for bullets 168gr and up.  Its the king.  In fact, I loaded test strings for 168 and 175gr ELDs and TMKs last night with Varget.  But for 155 and down I actually use 8208 in my 308 as I have gotten much better accuracy.  Gun in question is a 26" Criterion barreled Savage model 10, that is .250" group capable providing the monkey on the trigger is doing his job.

Just food for thought.  I dont consider Varget a great powder for anyone wanting to load any quantity of 223 on a progressive.  They would be much better served with a ball powder like H335, or CFE 223, or a short cut extruded like 8208 XBR.  Thats my opinion.  You have yours, I have mine.

Here's what I use from my Bushmaster Varminter (24 inch bbl.)  Pretty similar to RGinIdaho's load.

Bullet:  Sierra 69 gr. HPBT
Powder:  Alliant Reloader 15 25.5 grs.
Primer:  Remington 7 ½
Case:  Winchester
Average Velocity:  2930 fps
Extreme Spread:  22.69
Standard Deviation:  10.04
LOAL:  2.260 (1.875 Base to Ogive with Stoney Point)

• 3 weeks later...

CFE223 works very well with the 69 SMK as well.  I was just out testing yesterday and was getting nice groups with it at 25.0gr, 2.255 OAL, WSR primer, Lake City brass, 18" 1-7 Wylde.

Edited by yellowfin

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2016 at 3:38 PM, rootacres said:

I am new to reloading .223 but new to reloading in general. My rifle is an 18" Nordic components 1:8 chambered in .223 wylde with mixed brass. Whats everyones concotions? 

Primer? Powder type? Load? OAL?

Thanks for the help in advance. 

I too used to use the 69 smk.  I since went up to the 77gr smk.  They do a little better in the wind.  Loading with 24.0gr of varget powder with an OAL of 2.24. You length may need to a little different depending yon your rifle.  Developing a precision load for your specific rifle can be a pain. I think the max load is 25gr for varget.  But double check the maxloads in any hodgdon reloading handbook.  I'm pretty sure I was using 24.3gr of varget for my 69's. 

• 5 months later...
On 11/6/2017 at 9:40 AM, Woody3025 said:

New to reloading 223 as well. Was planning on loading 69gr Serria TMK with either Tac or Match rifle powder from shooters world anybody load with these powders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had good luck with the 69gr SMK on top of Tac. I can't remember the charge weight but should be some where around 24-24.5 if memory serves. Start lower and work up to see what works best in your barrel.