Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you change springs in gun/mags?

nikdanja

I shot quite a bit of uspsa matches this season and was wondering if I should order all new springs once spring comes. I haven't noticed any funky wear on my sti and all my mbx factory mags still feed just as reliably as when I first got them from the factory. Would you guys go one more season with these springs? 

Every spring in the gun and mags all have 1 seasons wear on them. 

• 4 weeks later...

New springs are fairly inexpensive. I change mine every year but I shoot a good bit and use all my mags in dry fire loaded with dummy rounds. I change 1-2 springs in my production gun at the same time. It's cheap insurance and I like to control everything I can.  With new springs I know I shouldn't have any trouble with springs. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Mag springs before major match season, then shoot them all year. If there's an issue or I've shot a lot between major matches I'll change them. Recoil spring maybe every 5000-10000 rounds?

Edited by sstephns

Its a long standing annual ritual.  Every January I switch out the springs on  my guns and mags and change the batteries on the smoke detectors.  Even though springs are cheap, I usually just change springs on mags used for matches.  Practice and dry fire mags can go for years without problems.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Recoil spring in full size 1911 5" 45acp every 2000 rounds. Firing pin spring at 3500, mainspring around 6500.
I use flat wire mag springs. Lav said they should wear almost indefinitely

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/23/2017 at 7:54 PM, ubet said:

Recoil spring in full size 1911 5" 45acp every 2000 rounds. Firing pin spring at 3500, mainspring around 6500.
I use flat wire mag springs. Lav said they should wear almost indefinitely

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
<breath>
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOLOLOLO

• 1 month later...

I change trigger return spring, recoil spring, striker spring every 5000 rounds. I only change mag springs when I feel as if they aren't feeding well. I have dedicated match mags and then a bunch of mags I use for practice. I"ve only once had a spring fail on me and luckily it was at a local match and on the last shot of the stage. I keep a bunch of spare parts just in case. 

I have never changed the spring on my mag and sometimes I could hear a rattling sound when I load more than 10 rnds.  Do you think I need to change the spring and follower of just the spring.

Ive had it for more than a year now.

• 3 weeks later...